Engine Controls System Failure | FerrariChat

Engine Controls System Failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TwinOne, May 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Car is 6 weeks new. About 400 miles on it. Last driven one week ago today not plugged in. Quick call to my dealer and tech says classic low battery? Tender on for at least 6 hours one green light. Car starts fine. Messages are parking brake inserted, check engine light on and engine controls system failure. Should I just go for a long drive or, how long do I let it charge before I have the dealer come and get the car.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    You can give it a chance, many times the car is able to recover. Drive it for a while and then let it charge for some time, the error messages may disappear (they are probably recorded so if there are some real issues they'll be addressed during the next maintenance).

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine did this when it was first delivered with 105 miles on it. Stopped it restarted and it cleared, then drove about 15 or 20 miles and have been driving regularly since, no issues. Make sure to watch for 488 on your odometer so you can add a picture to the 488 on my 488 thread.

4. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Engine noticeably chugs on start up. Radiator fans on. Disconnected battery to reboot computers. Same thing on restart. Let car sit for a couple minutes before re-connecting battery. Not sure I should drive it like this.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, I think ask the dealer on Tuesday and let it charge for now. I don't think it hurts to start it up again after charging more though, the dealer would have to do that much.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    This is rediculous for such an expensive new car !

Have the dealer do his work ! Make HIM worry, why would YOU ?

7. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Left the car on charger all week. Started on Saturday and still no joy. Alarms and CEL. My salesman was back in this week and set me up with the magic decoder! Using fob, cycle locks three times, pop front hood, close front hood, press start button WITHOUT pressing brake pedal. Wait thirty seconds and start car. ALL GONE :) This procedure resets the ECU's. Thanks Dave Alexander! Put on quite a few miles this past weekend! Oh, and i forgot to mention, DAMN this car is fast!

Cigarzman likes this.
  8. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Left the car on charger all week. Started on Saturday and still no joy. Alarms and CEL. My salesman was back in this week and set me up with the magic decoder! Using fob, cycle locks three times, pop front hood, close front hood, press start button WITHOUT pressing brake pedal. Wait thirty seconds and start car. ALL GONE :) This procedure resets the ECU's. Thanks Dave Alexander! Put on quite a few miles this past weekend! Oh, and I forgot to mention, DAMN this car is fast!

andrewecd likes this.
  9. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The manual magic CEL clear routine. Engineers must laugh when they write the software.