Slow Down light ECU | FerrariChat

Slow Down light ECU

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Davecal, May 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    This may sound crazy but I can't seem to locate the ECU's...I located the panel above the right wheel well and removed the two 10mm bolts only to find two control units that I believe are for fuel/air and look nothing like the pictures in the forums. There are a bunch of connectors in the area that I checked and all look good. Are the ECU's located behind that fuel canister? Here is a picture of the area. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm new to the forum and just purchased this 1991 Testarossa. I first posted this question in the technical area and another member suggested I move it here. Thanks again, Dave

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Yes, the slow-down warning light ECUs are mounted on the backside of the small bent plate directly above the Accumulator (the greenish cylinder with the braided hoses) -- more the inside face of the RR wheel well, not the top of the RR wheel well.

If you are new to F Ownership, the figures in the SPC (Spare Parts Catalogue) and Owners Manual can be a valuable resource. The warning light ECUs are items 5 in this SPC figure (from sponsor Ricambi America's website):
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/electric-controls-for-ke-jetronic-and-exhaust.html

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You are correct....the 2 boxes directly underneath the right-rear fender are fuel system ECU's. Trace the wires coming from the thermo-couples, they will lead you to the Cat-control modules. These are located farther down below the previously mentioned fuel system ECU's.

5. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thank you, I'll check it out today.

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey wait, aren't those two grey wires at the bottom of the picture (which go in to a loop) the Thermo lines from the cats? If, so, it looks like there's some wire voodoo going on?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    So thank you all, found the plate, super easy less than a minute to access them, I switched the wires and the other side works fine now so I definitely have a bad ECU. The wire contacts were clean.
    Anyone have advice on where to buy one? I believe I have the newer style as they both have the black epoxy and the wire connectors are the weatherproof type. Thanks again, Dave

9. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Forgot to ask, does anyone know the name for this fuel piece? I need to order one as mine appears to be leaking a bit from where the two halves seal together.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Regarding the fuel system "cylindrical" shaped item, that is an accumulator - it smooths out pressure surges and pulses in the fuel system. As for the thermo-couple ECU's, I may have a couple of used good ones somewhere....if I find them I'll let you know.

11. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thank you! Please let me know. Also, any idea where to find an accumulator? Thanks again

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try searching on "Bosch 0438170042" for the US TR Accumulator (Amazon or AutohausAZ or ? might be a source if the usual F part suppliers or Dealer price seems unreasonable ;))

13. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thanks Steve,
    I found that part number on mine as well and any of them at a reasonable price show out of stock. I’ll keep hunting. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Welcome Davecat. As you probably know by now, the Cat ECU's arent cheap and have a high failure rate right out of the box. Some people take them out and live a happy life.

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I don't have mine hooked up, but my cats are also hollow. If you don't have to do emissions anymore, you should hollow yours out too or install straight pipes.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    DAVECAL....I was not able to find the thermo-couple ECU's, I think they are at our house up in Michigan. But as RPISSM mentions above regarding hollowing out the precats & cats, I do have a complete TR exhaust system (precats, cats, muffler) with the precats and cats hollowed out.

17. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
  18. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    I saw these too but the part number is different, not sure if they’re interchangeable

19. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They must be because I compared them to my original ones and they were an exact match.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  21. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Steve, thank you! The chart is a huge help, I saw a few of these that looked identical but couldn’t seem to find a cross reference chart. Dave