Looking to Buy my first ferrari (348ts) | FerrariChat

Looking to Buy my first ferrari (348ts)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Daniel Ronco, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daniel Ronco

Daniel Ronco Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel Ronco
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to chat with me about getting into my first Ferrari. I am currently looking at a 1990 348 TS. I have been reading up about the car a lot over the last month and have potentially found a leasing company with the exact car.

I read the PPI checklist from my348.com which was great. The leasing company provided me a very in depth service record book, which by all appearances seems like the car was meticulously maintained. The major service was just done and the clutch was "serviced". Is there anything I can do or look at to tell the condition of the engine?

The car by appearances looks to be in superb condition. Interior is very clean with little to no wear. Exterior looks in great shape as well. Given that all is okay with the service up keep and engine, whats a reasonable price for this car. They have the car advertised at $70,000 Canadian. Is that a reasonable price, or can I expect to pay a little less?

Should I be looking for a 1993 or newer because of the increase in HP and the improved suspension?

Is it better to buy from a leasing company/dealer or should I be trying to find a private sale.

Finally, I have seen online that this model of Ferrari takes a lot of heat (a lot of websites and sources saying that this car is not as big of an advancement over its predecessors as the 355 was over this car, not as fast not as good handling). For me I love the look of the car, I think its gorgeous, and the 355 is probably an extra $30,000. Is this going to be an undesirable model or will there always be a market for this car?

I am pretty new to all of this, but its always been a dream to own a Ferrari and I think that I am now in position to do so, but I would like to be as educated as possible so that I make the right choice. Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.

2. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Are you looking at the black TS in AB?
    If so, it's discussed a few threads down.

3. Daniel Ronco

Daniel Ronco Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel Ronco
    no, that isn't the one i am looking at. mine is in ontario.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Many of your questions are answered on my348.com (which I see you have found) and also here on previous similar threads so its worth spending some time looking around and learning

5. Daniel Ronco

Daniel Ronco Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel Ronco
    thanks for the link! looks like theres a lot of things i missed in the pictures. going to go for a PPI to see the condition in person but may stay away from that one

6. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    A 348 will always be a desireable car and I believe is becoming more desireable every year. With the 348 series, as with all Ferraris, the later cars 92-95 cars had many upgrades along the way to the motor, gearbox, electrical, brakes, and suspension. Buy the best car you can find and have an independent ferrari mechanic inspect and perform a compression test. There is value in buying a quality, well cared for example. Try to verify the service records. Most shops are happy to discuss service history. I would avoid buying the first car you see. Be willing to travel and inspect/test drive different cars. $70k Canadian may be high for a 1990 TS, but it all comes down to condition. The market for 348s now, values originality due to its age. Personally, I try to buy my cars from private parties because much more information on history can be obtained.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    $70,000 CDN is $53,000 USD today. So that's not far off--I wouldn't call it "high".
    Regarding Jerry's comment about 92-95 cars, keep in mind that many upgrades happened along the way, so looking at serial number and production date is pretty important if those updates are important to you. North America never got the GTS/GTB or the F119H Spider, so there's no difference there between the earlier cars and the later cars.

Very early cars for both US and Canada got the slimmer dashboard underdash parts along with the flush flip-down over the radio. For MY1990 US cars, they got the thicker underdash parts and the squared off radio cover including the model badge on it (348ts, 348tb, Spider, or SpecialeTS/SpecialeTB).

From that point, little changes happened over time. The ts cars lost their locking center console box. Battery moved from the left rear to the left front. Rear suspension pickups/geometry changed. Then later, the Spiders got wider rear tracks due to the offset of the wheels changing. But no North American cars got the full GTS/GTB treatment.

If you really wanted a GTS/GTB, then in in Canada these have been legal for 10+ years. They are just now becoming legal in the US.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That's a US spec car-- you can tell by the belts. Looks like it may have Canadian spec fog lamps to comply with their DRL law. Aftermarket or modified exhaust to be sure. Not uncommon for owners to remove the heat shield after fitting a Tubi. Heat shields can be had for reasonable money off of eBay, so no big deal. Red carpet with that color combo is not unheard of-- a member here owned and sold one in the exact same color combo a few years back. It's even possible that this was his car, which would be a big plus. My suggestion is to go look at the car for yourself and copy down the VIN in the process. Then search it on the internet and post it here to see what history you can find.

I don't see any glaring issues with the car other than the potential for a A/C control panel problem. Definitely check that carefully and if there are any questions you might fold that into any potential deal (say, a 90 day warranty on the climate control). There's a "hidden fuse" that causes issues with the A/C and it's possible that has not been addressed.

Pics are pretty bad so it's hard to get a real sense of the car. The wiring seen in the center cubby is probably left over from a previous radar detector installation. Get a pic if you go see it with your own eyes and we can probably tell you more. The tool kit may be missing or it may just be in safe storage at the dealer-- ask, because they're spendy to replace and we 348 snobs expect to see them in a nice car. But other than that and the potential A/C panel problem it looks nice in those iffy pics.

BTW, Brian is right when he says the upgrades were phased in over time. A lot of sources claim that there were a number of upgrades done in Oct of '91 (or '92?), but in truth that's just when Maranello finally got around to sending TSBs to the dealers announcing changes that had been made incrementally over time, most starting with pretty early chassis numbers. With 348s you want to find the latest car you can, but condition trumps chassis number. A nice '90 beats a tatty '92 any day.

If there's nothing else wrong with the car (and there usually is) I'd guess it's worth $48-$50k US in today's market, but maybe more if it's really nice and the paint is all original, etc. Subtract ~$1500 US for a missing tool kit and ~$3k US for a faulty climate control panel. So I'd think the ask is somewhere in the ballpark, depending on condition. Best case scenario is that the car looks at least as good in person as it does in the pics and they're willing to knock $5k US off the price. But that's putting the cart before the Prancing Horse, because you need to see the car for yourself to determine its condition, or to have someone who knows these cars really well act as your eyes.

Good luck. Post up the VIN and I'll see if I have it in my records.

10. Daniel Ronco

Daniel Ronco Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel Ronco
    Thanks so much everyone for the great info. I definitely have a lot of homework to do on this. It’s great what helpful community this is. I will be seeing the car next week for a test drive.

The VIN is ZFFFG36A0L008721

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Likely a typo Daniel. Double check the VIN?

12. Daniel Ronco

Daniel Ronco Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel Ronco
    Sorry used. 0 instead of O
    ZFFFG36AOL0087721 Try that

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Nah, you dropped a 7. :) So sn 87721. One of the earlier links has a bunch of banter on it. It's relatively unique being tan with red carpets. It's a US car, speedo in mph, mousetrap seatbelts, has front fog light switch (but looks like Canadian front DRL lenses).
    Go put your eyes on it....let us know what you think. Good luck!

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I don't have any additional info on 87721. Sorry. As Brian says, take a look (and tons of pics) and report back. Seems worth investigating if it's within easy driving distance.

15. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I love 348s! I'm on my second one and I'm holding onto it. Think it's a future classic. My first was a late '91 TS and my current is '94 Spider. Have to say the '94 feels a lot more usable. Overall driveability is better than the '91. Having said that the '91 felt more raw "hair on the chest" type of thing, which I love - so both have their strengths. With regards to buying any Ferrari - invest in a PPI. I spent $1,000 on an inspection for my '94 and it was worth every penny. Find the best example you can and get it at the best price you can. Avoid bargain hunting. I think any car late '91 and newer is good for you. Requires engine out major service every 5 years or so, which is why values are depressed. I think these cars will be worth $$ one day. They are last of a breed - analog, potentially deadly and look/sound great :)

16. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Go for it, they are great. A plus point is they are reasonably simple, and a lot of things you can do yourself. Mine is mechanically good, but has a list of niggles to fix. Interior lights, central locking, passenger window all not working, etc. Picking them off one by one, and if your handy with a voltmeter reasonably simple to trace. These all kept the purchase price down, I like fixing them, and none of them really impact on the drive. :)

Wade likes this.
  17. amelie taylor

amelie taylor Rookie

Jun 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    amelie taylor
    you can make free vin check, you will get all the information you will need about the car