F430 Hydraulic F1 Pump Failures - Reality or Myth? | FerrariChat

F430 Hydraulic F1 Pump Failures - Reality or Myth?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BruceC, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    After reading numerous posts in FC, I was on the verge of purchasing the Scud SMART EMT F1 solid state relay as a precautionary move to eliminate hydraulic pump failure for my '06 F430 Spider, but after doing a little more research in FC, I don't see any posts (2009 on) indicating this is a common failure mode at least for the 430 generation of F1 transmissions.

Aside from possible performance improvements , am I mistaken that hydraulic pump failures on 430s is a rarity, or is this a case of overstated paranoia possibly originating from earlier generation F1 transmissions?

mnogj likes this.
  2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    It could be hysteria but for only $300 it was worth it to alleviate the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  3. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey Bruce, I hope you’re doing well. I’ve been considering the same so please let me know if you get one. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am in the same boat as you guys. Interested to see if the F1 hydraulic pump failure is common with the original relay switch... Would like to purchase the solid state relay if the original relay does really fail on owners cars.

5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Craig - CarAholic basically makes the point that got me pretty far along in the checkout process, but I've had enough not so good experiences with non OEM aftermarket purchases that I thought it deserved a little more research. Probably no real downside with a solid state relay, but I did notice a number of posts where folks were asking how to disable nuisance warnings giving me some pause to reconsider.

I do feel aftermarket parts are a necessity if you are a Ferrari owner - case in point - I still need to replace my OEM exhaust headers, but can't seem to settle on what brand to choose. I hear through the grapevine that you've already started down that path, so I'm really interested to know what you decided on and how they sound.

Probably going to the Savannah C&C Saturday - you should check it out sometime. God knows it's no fun driving around the island - especially this time of year.

f355spider likes this.
  6. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    OK, expanded my research and found the following article helpful. Cutting to the chase, it seems hydraulic pump failures were more common in older generation F1 transmissions that incorporated a 30 amp pump relay that could overheat and fuse causing the pumps to run continuously. Taking the author at his word, Ferrari changed to a 50 amp relay for the 360/430 gen F1 transmissions eliminating that failure mode.

I suppose it's possible to experience hydraulic pressure loss for some other reason, causing the pump to run continuously and maybe fail, but I'm just not seeing evidence of that so far. Here's the link to the article for anyone that's interested > http://craig-waterman.com/?tag=f1-hydraulic-pump

mnogj likes this.
  7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The solid state relay is not only helpful with the sticking relay problem. It also monitors the system and early detects abnormal pressurizing caused by other issues. Yes, the warnings are a bit irritating and get ready to explain to everybody who rides in the car what the beeping is all about.

You can also get the basic version which as I understand beeps only when there really is an issue.

8. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bruce,

Thank you for attaching the link to the article. Very informative!

So Ferrari changed the failure prone 30 amp relay for a 50 amp relay on all the 430 gen F1 transmissions?
    Does that mean that the higher amp relay will not fail causing F1 pump damage?

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I've read so many threads on this so i will try and summarize what I learned.

The OE mechanical relay can get stuck and fry the F1 pump (expensive).
    Thanks to Scud Ing Swiss for making a solid state relay that only resolves the relay sticking issue but it also monitors the F1 system for any abnormality based on Ferrari F1 System specs.

The beeps can be annoying but its simply telling us that the F1 system is not operating per Ferrari specs so its a good idea to watch for it.

When you get the beeps you have the option to silence it, or have your F1 system checked as it could be the known failures like the Hydraulic Accumulator going bad, E Diff Control Valve going bad, or you have a slight leak somewhere in the system.

As mentioned above, $300.00 is a worthy investment in my opinion to address the OE relay getting stuck issue.

Dan

mpatrizio and mthompson2376 like this.
  10. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The beeps are present even if there is no issue. There are fault beeps and pressurizing beeps.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry I failed to explain further.

I have turned off all my default beeps except for fault beep and pressuring beeps.

12. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Solid state > mechanical in my business (computer storage) as far a performance and reliability. Faulty or not, I used the same logic in having this relay upgrade. For me, no way would I not have it.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    That's what I got from the article, but to be fair, I have not fact checked to be 100% certain the author's information is accurate.

I do agree with recoil's comment re: mechanical relays vs. solid state. Seen plenty fail at my last manufacturing assignment.

Originally when I started reading all of the posts on this subject, I was tempted to go down the path of not only purchasing the solid state relay, but also looking for a higher pressure aftermarket pump to improve shifting performance as some others have apparently done. Altering design parameters though is oftentimes fraught with risk and that's what caused me to go back and try to determine how often pumps & relays are actually failing in the 430s. Again, I'm not seeing evidence that this is even an infrequent issue, BUT as others have pointed out $300 is not a huge sum of money for a little added peace of mind, so I'll probably buy the Swiss Ing hardware and will not change out the existing pump. Besides, when I really thought about shifting performance, I think it's fine as is.

My thanks to everyone for helping me think this through.

mnogj likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mine failed in my 06 at about 17k miles

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    when you say pump you are referring to the solenoid failure correct?

16. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I was looking for reports of relay or pump failure. So it sounds like your relay failed safe and didn't burn out the hydraulic pump?

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Me too. The beeps are still annoying though. :)

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari changed over to 50 amp F1 pump relays in November 2003 (around AN 52556, SN 1351XX) on the 360, Challenge Stradale, and 575M. That 50 amp relay is also used in the engine compartment of some Ferraris and has been pretty reliable. All the F430s should have the latest relay, but Ferrari also changed from the 360 pump to an upgraded version on the F430 at AN 61589 (around SN 144XXX) around September 05 when the 360 pump proved marginal for both F1 and E-Diff.

19. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Impressively detailed and helpful information! Thank you!

20. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    II’m convinced that the pump failures are almost always due to something else. At least in my experience I had a couple of issues on my car regarding the F1 system and none of them were related to the pump. I had a Edif solenoid go bad, I had a couple of solenoids in the f1pack go bad, And it seems all of them were a result of a throw out bearing not being replaced during a clutch change. The clutch was changed right before I got the car by a dealer and when we pulled Everything a part The throwout bearing looked like it was the full 10 years old. I had that changed as well as a new clutch and restore the F1 system and since then everything has been perfect.

The dealer seems to want to replace the pump right away when these cars were new and it’s fine to do that but there are other solenoids that if jammed can back up the system and lead to a pump failing... I believe a lot of pumps have been fine but have been replaced as a first response to F1 system issues. Most of the drivers wouldn’t even know because they don’t use the car is enough to have the issue start happening again before they pass the car to a new owner. Just my two cents unfortunately I had some experience with sorting my car out.

VAF84 and whatheheck like this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You have the option of unplugging the beeper / control module.

22. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes but i still want the fault beeps.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Then I suggest you contact the maker and see if he can make that change.

Zed82 likes this.
  24. AAAALLL

AAAALLL Rookie

Mar 26, 2018
    Where is the best location to purchase a solid state 50amp relay for the 2006 F430. I have no problems and no lights but like you all say, its worth the money

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i have 3x f1 360s and 1x 430 and a combined 50,000 kms over 6+ years, more than 50,000 km if you count the previous kms driven by previous owners. I've never seen a relay failure.