California Radiator Poor Design | FerrariChat

California Radiator Poor Design

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mark Hamister, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Hamister

Mark Hamister Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark E. Hamister
    I was shocked recently to learn that the Ferrari California radiator can be damaged beyond repair by a small road stone. then to add insult to injury it costs about $4K to replace the radiator due to the poor design of not only the failure to provide screening for the radiator but the need to remove the entire bumper assembly to get at the radiator. All of this allegedly not covered by warranty. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I have never understood why cheap cars are so durable and expensive ones are so delicate.

You can beat the hell out of a Camaro or a Vette, and they just take it. If you don't perfectly service your Ferrari or Lambo, you end up with a 5 figure fix on your hands.

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    No issues with my California T. I have over 14k miles.

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Definitely an issue on the 991tts. Solution was to get a metal grid to fit in the nose.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Small stones destroy metal radiators all the time. It's not peculiar to Ferraris. They are all expensive to service. You can get someone to add a mesh behind your car's grill but that will likely interfere with the cooling. There's also the optional GTO style grill from Ferrari, not mesh-level fine but finer than the regular grill. Expensive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Many high end cars also used plastic radiators and those tend to catastrophically self-destruct (blow up) on a regular basis and can also destroy your engine if it happens at highway speeds when you cannot immediately stop the car.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nothing complicated. If you want high end performance and exclusivity, you pay for it. That's why they're exclusive.

Exotic high performance cars usually use components that are custom-designed for that one model and only a few thousand cars are made. Cars like Camaros and Vettes (even 911s) use many standard time-tested components shared with older cars and other car models made in the 100s of thousands if not millions.

Even BMWs require strict adherence to service schedules and some people try to turn off service reminders. I'm not being flippant but if you can't afford to adhere required service requirements, then you can't afford to own the car. These cars come with serious after-purchase expense commitments. Ferrari's 7-year free service lure owners who lease and return their cars so those cars can end up with owners who cannot afford non-warranty repairs.

At any rate the Cali radiator is actually $1,350 and the $4k bill may be inflated.

AlfistaPortoghese and timjen88 like this.
  7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Sixteen years driving my 2002 Corvette,and the total repair costs wouldn't even pay for a fire extinguisher for my Portofino.

Golden Steed likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, less than $1100?!? I'm assuming that excludes scheduled maintenance, tires, etc. That's reliable. Even our Honda Ridgeline has cost us more than a grand in repairs.
    T

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That is just replacing the few things that broke. But routine maintenance is low because I do it myself and because GM sells a comprehensive service manual. Sticky tires are the biggest expense. Other than those tires,it's just a Chevy.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    4th...Never seen that mesh grill before. Cool. Have thought about the mesh for my 911 as it accumulates a ton of crud in there. I have to clean it out once or twice a year. My worry is that with our warm weather, it'll retard cooling to some extent...T