Why I am selling my 458 and moving into an Aventador | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I am selling my 458 and moving into an Aventador

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Raul1976, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    F12 / 812 puts the AV to shame. SV is the best looking car I’ve owned but I like driving my cars and the AV’s simply drive like Plus the rarri interior is the best out there

Afonsolaw likes this.
  2. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    I am looking to make the switch next year as well! I don’t think the two brands have to be mutually exclusive. Ferrari is more elegant and beautiful to me. But, personally, I think that the Aventador’s presence cannot be matched by a V8 Ferrari. V12 Ferraris do have presence (and I do LOVE them), but at my age I am looking for something that sits low.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Be sure to drive the AV first. Horrible trans even in Corsa. Relative to modern exotics that is.
    But looks stunning.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Trax- Your AV is breath taking. Absolutely stunning. That is poetry in motion.

Shark01 likes this.
  5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    This is a good thread. I have MT 430 spider and my wife has 458 Italia. The latter is a fantastic car in all respects. I will never sell the 430. We will probably add another car in year or so.

I never considered owning a L car until an Aventador pulled up beside me one day while in my truck. The sound of that NA V-12 was off the chart. We have looked at a couple of them but are only tire kicking right now. I've been offered test drives but not my style to do so until I'm closer to purchasing.

My wife prefers the McLaren 720S but its so similar to what we already have and no comparison to the Aventador in the looks dept. The Mac is a bit cramped for me inside as well.

A local exotic car salesman, one of my patients, told me NOT to buy an Aventador. He called it a ticking time bomb and said most buyers returned it in a year or less. I take that with a grain of salt. Its a short trip car for us and it would be #3 for exotic cars so I think it would be ok for us. I would be interested to hear approximate service costs etc. Wow. I sound like a newb here.

I would like to hear more thoughts on this. I wish F made a reasonably priced NA V12. I'm not interested in a GT car from F.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have 3 friends with AV and all love them. None have been problematic. 2012, the introduction year, did pose some reliabnility issues and the tranny was very rough and ragged. Has been dramatically improved since then.Still nowhere near as seamless as the latest DCT, but that conforms to the raw and thrilling personality of the car.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's one of the best exotic designs in modern history. It came out nearly 7 years ago and it still looks better and more exotic than pretty much everything.

ktu, Gh21631, blackbolt22 and 2 others like this.
  8. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Show us a Lamborghini Aventador Key.Its a Shame
    It Looks like an cheap Audi key

9. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    When I sat in an Aventador I felt like I sat in a proper supercar. When you walk up to it and you open the door it makes me feel like I am getting into the countach I had on my wall as a boy. It just makes me feel special. Ferraris are amazingly engineered cars but I think the Aventador has the X factor.

Shamile likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    But the Ferrari has a nice key.

Boomhauer and Cigarzman like this.
  11. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    Yep - I agree the key is better. I just think the Aventador is the closest I will get to the feeling of owning the poster car. The McLaren for me is clinical but does not have the X factor. It is trying too hard to be something it is not. It is like the engineers said we need to beat Ferrari and Lamborghini and they tried to make it better in all departments. The F1 is the only McLaren that I would like to own. I think the Enzo has the X Factor that the Aventador has though but that is beyond my reach. I like the Zonda too but that is beyond my reach too.

12. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    So Zonda, Aventador, Mclaren F1, Ferrari Enzo, maybe Ferrari 250 GTO - These are the only cars I would ever like to own going forwards.

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    LOL. Good one.

Cigarzman and Coincid like this.
  14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    the 458 is a versatile great driver's car, but the AV serves another purpose. Road presence, loud, v12, i am sure many of us can understand the switch, if given the chance i would like to try own one too for the experience alone.

dustman and Napoli like this.
  15. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Oh this is a good thread! Heaps of opinions are going to be shared with very little experience. You do what you want, as you will be the one stuck behind the wheel......

Clutch:
    If you read in the 360/430 thread, you will read about the amazing Scuderia, how the gearbox was the best ever single clutch gear box. How changing gears was just so raw, emotional and thrilling. A lot of the owners complained that the 458 was too perfect with the shifts and lost that raw race car factor. The Aventador has an even better single clutch gear box than the Scuderia and the feeling of gear changes with 750HP is incredible....

Also did 30,000kms in a Superleggera and never needed to change the clutch. Having said that, I have never used Lunch Control in any of my cars......

Drivers car:
    458 will win this hands down I think. Never driven one, I have a Speciale, so the 458 must be even better, its so easy to drive. So perfect, so refined and smooth. The Aventador is a car that puts a massive smile on your face, its faster, more powerful and HUGE in size. It feels light, but driving around the city is no easy task, but,,,, it was not designed for that anyway.

I love my Speciale, and its a car I have full trust in and I can really drive it on its limits, I feel safe in the car and absolutely love taking friends in it to show how amazing and advanced modern Ferrari's are. I drive it relaxed on its limit and still just mind blowing what this car can do. Once you drive one you know that this company "Ferrari" is involved in F1 and that tech is used in this car, which is not the same feeling as for the Avendator, it scares me, I feel like it will kill me if I do something wrong, but in a good way. To me its more of a Scuderia on steroids. It has this raw race car feeling that you can not compare to a Speciale but more to a Scuderia. I love to drive it and I drive it really hard, but I cant get close to its limits like I can do with the speciale. My heart races when I drive it hard cause of the fear factor, how angry it is, how powerful it is (140+) and the aggression of the gearbox, its a beast... Its a Lamborghini....

Two totally different cars that serve two totally different purposes..... But perfect to have both in the same garage ;)

I will always be a Ferrari fan, Lamborghini will never win me over. But my Aventador has a keyless key and far better looking than my Speciale key. I dont know if they changed it over the years or the SV version is different, but if you talk about just how the key looks, the SV key definitely looks better IMO

Image Unavailable, Please Login

uhn2000 likes this.
  16. Bhh

Bhh Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    Manhattan
    I have considered adding a Performante to the stable. Curious if your considering Perf as well or are you set on the V12?

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I drove Aventador S roadster recently in full angry-mode and have performante spider incoming. Great noisy cars for sure satisfying a bit of a different need than the Ferraris. I hope the Pista stacks up wel as I do love the looks.

18. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I have no Experience with the Performante. I really like what I read and see, however for me the Performante is more like the Speciale/Pista. More on the "Perfect usable" Super car than an "Angry Beast" Super car. I would really like one, but I'd have to get a Pista first as Im a Ferrari Fan.... Thats kinda my point on the last post I wrote about the Aventador. Im full Ferrari Fan, but I can still stand here and admit my SV is just an incredible car still.

19. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    The AV is a great looking and sounding car but I've heard nothing but problems from some owners, We came back from a road trip and the guy driving the AV had to wait an hr in the city because his car overheated!

I think if you want a car for looks and attention the AV is the best V12 bang for the money but not if you want a true drivers car.

20. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    I'm a long time Ferrari owner, and I'm very passionate about the brand. That being said, I too am considering a performance. I'm getting very tired of the games dealers play. I don't like the direction sweater boy is taking the company in, and the production numbers he's looking to achieve. I miss the days of Luca! When you could buy almost any Ferrari at any time in its production cycle, and be able to get out at or over MSRP. I love my 488, and yes it may be too perfect for a supercar, but I think its awesome. I may trade it when I get my new spider, and I'm still awaiting confirmation on my pasta allocation. But how special is that allocation, if I'm hearing from a close source to the factory that the production number is likely to be north of 4,000!

Again, this is only my2 cents. All the best with whatever you end up choosing!!!

21. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    This is absolutely not true. I have owned a Scuderia and driven an Aventador and the Lambo's gearbox just can not even hope to match the shifts of the Scud's gearbox. As for the 458 - it really does have the most boring shifts of all time :D

22. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I think we are talking about the same thing. I agree the 458(which I never owned I have a Speciale) and the gear shifts are super fast and smooth. Nothing like the Scuderia, super aggressive, like being hit in the back with the hammer on every gear shift. Ive never driven a standard Aventador. I have the SV model and in Corsa mode, its just like that in the Scuderia, when its warmed up(there is a difference in speeds of gear changes in the SV with it not being super warm compared to cold - just on this note, in the SV it restricts your Rev limiter and gear shift speeds based on the gearbox and engine temp - which is pretty cool) but when its warmed up right, its the same hit in the back with a hammer, throws the car off balance a little and gives you a wild feeling the Scuderia gave me. Thats only my opinion and everyone is different. I am comparing a Scuderia which I drove 38,000kms in to an SV which I currently own. Also comparing it to a Speciale and not a 458. I have not driven a 458 nor a normal Aventador(well I test drove one for about 20km, but that doesnt count). I've only owned the Scuderia, Speciale and SV Aventador and maybe I am way off topic if the cars are so different to these editions OP is talking about.

rumen1 likes this.
  23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I now have a normal 458 and if you not smash the trottle on full acceleration, it shifts so smooth, that boring is not even the right word. I remember when the Scud came out they said it is the fastest shifting single clutch car in the world with 60 millisecond shifts. The strange thing is that the hit in the back was just the right amount. But in the Aventador it hits you so brutally, that your head can fall off. I assume the SV has faster shifts for sure, I guess that's the logic of evolution. But the normal Aventador has a very clumsy gearbox. And in the Scud the shifts were equally fast from the same beginning until the car gets to operating temp.

But getting back to the topic - I am a tifosi, a Ferraristi, a ferrari fanatic or whatever you want to call it, but if someone offers me a nice stock Aventador for a trade to my 458, I will agree. The Aventador is an amazing machine, it just has a different purpose than the 458, which feels great everywhere - on the highway, on the twisty mountain roads and on the track.

zakeen likes this.
  24. JeffNicolson

JeffNicolson Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    OK had a 458 for 2 years the most amazing car i ever! Lambo i just don't fit so will never buy one sorry lambo!!

Have just picked up a 650s and wow what a beast!!

Next car will be 488 back to Ferrari before onto a 720s... just love switching cars is like an addiction every year!

25. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Hello Sir, I am interested in purchasing your IPE exhaust. I've sent you PM several days ago but no response yet. I appreciate if you can reply to my PM. Thanks!