430 - diff chattering at low speed turns after new redline 75/90ns fluid | FerrariChat

430 - diff chattering at low speed turns after new redline 75/90ns fluid

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Jun 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Does the 75/90ns require a friction modifier. I just changed the gearbox oil and never had any chattering at any speed and now have chatter from a stop making low speed turns. Do I just need to put a friction modifier in and if so which one is best? Or is this a case of driving the car 300-500 miles and will go away. It chatters only at low speed, but prior I had no chattering any speed. Car shifts perfect and is an F1. I don't want to damage or prematurely wear anything down and don't want to drive the car till I figure this out. I have searched and not found a specific answer addressing 430's.

All help or advice greatly appreciated.

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I had the same experience with Redline and yes, my understanding was the absence of any friction modifiers. Different opinions on how much to add. In my case, we drained the Red Line and refilled with the Ferrari recommended Shell and the chatter went away immediately.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am not of the redline ns crowd I use eni but if you want to keep it ..add 2 oz of redline modifier and see if that helps and then 1 oz at a time till gone ..no more than 4

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    A Ferrari Tech recently told me they use the little bottle of Chevrolet Friction Modifier when they replace the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes the 2004 z06 diff modifier works well as well

6. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Gents - this is all very helpful advice and much appreciated. I just put the redline in so I am going to try the friction modifier as suggested. Is the redline brand friction modifier the best one or should I hunt down this zo6 one?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Either will work ..I think the gm may be slightly cheaper .. flip a coin . :)

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would go for the redline since that's what you have in the gearbox. I'm sure the other wouldn't be a problem but why mix brands if you don't have to.

9. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    #9 hamdog, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    I just went through this process with my ‘07. After experimenting with Redline, with and without Redline FM, GM FM, Shell Spirax and Valvoline. Three oil drains and many experiments later, here is what I recommend based on what worked on my car and research here and other sites.

Do NOT mess with FM. To get the balance right where both the differential and transmission are happy, is very difficult. Too little FM, you have chatter and gear noise. Too much FM and you get rough noisy shifting because the forks get too slippery. Not good for trans.

At this point I would either go to the factory fluid, Spirax or Valvoline Synthetic. Factory weight oil. No FM necessary.

Also, once you change the fluid, be sure to do 3-5 tight loops left then right in a cul de sac to lubricate the gears, clutches etc.

f355spider and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  10. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes I did search but my car is a 430 and was a little worried about the e diff. The eni wAs also an 80/90 weight. If the end is the way to go I will order-thanks.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Same oil spec for both ..I have a f430 Scud
    Not sure what you mean 80/90 weight but use eni rotra lsx 75w/90

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having over 100,000 miles on my 360 6-speed, I went through all of this as well. Straight Redline results in major chatter. Adding friction modifier eliminates the chatter but makes the car difficult to shift. Same effect with other brands. The golden fix? Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil. Shifting is buttercream and no chatter. Highly recommended. Not only have I run this in my car for over 60,000 miles, my local Ferrari repair shop uses this in every Ferrari that needs transmission gear oil. Zero issues.
    The only thing is that it has a rather short shelf life. After about a year, I can feel my car starting to shift heavy. I swap out the gear oil for fresh and back to buttercream.

13. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I have used the shock proof but thought it was only for gearboxes that. We're very loud or worn. I was not sure if I should use it with only 17k miles on mine. The previous fluid was not the shock proof it was some kind of gear oil very similar in color to the redline ns not blue.