'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project | Page 31 | FerrariChat

'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ditto.

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hahah. Perfect pic. Keep them coming.

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Does anyone know if Testarossa steering racks can be rebuilt or do you have to replace the complete rack as one part ?

Ive had a look and can only see the part number for the complete LHD rack 131689

I have a slight bit of play on my passenger wheel and its at the rack end

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    from F you not get anything
    you may have a look what you need and have a look then at other manufacturers. may be you can make this what you need or repair?

spiderscott likes this.
  7. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Mine had a loose bushing that would cause some shake. It was able to be swapped out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

spiderscott likes this.
  8. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    Hats off to you SpiderScott....I just read this whole thread as I am in the middle of restoring a very neglected early production 86 TR and I am ready to shoot myself and the car. You have re-energized me and I am not going to ***** anymore after looking at what you have done.

Bravo SpiderScott!

spiderscott likes this.
  9. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Scott - Might be worth trying Kiley Clinton. He rebuilt my 308 rack with no issues.

spiderscott likes this.
  10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The rack on my 355 project is a TRW one and looks very similar to other TRW racks so I imagine a good local rebuilder could match up components from other racks if yours is the same. Racks are not that hard to rebuild, I have done a couple now from repair kits. Maybe worth stripping it down and trying to match components yourself via ebay etc if you have no joy. I have even started rebuilding alternators and a/c compressors now, some great you tube videos out there that make you realise its not such a dark art after all :)

spiderscott likes this.
  11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I built my first engine (big block Dodge), and it's shocking how simple it is (any engine for that matter). I'm not sure if I was expecting 543 more parts inside, or a magical pathway to the land of gnomes, but I got finished with the feeling that there "should have been more to it". There wasn't. There isn't. ...and the really big secret...they're kind of all the same...it doesn't matter if it says Dodge or Ferrari. It's pistons and rings and bearings and clearance specs and torque specs.

sjd

spiderscott, turbo-joe and PAUL500 like this.
  12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Cheers fellas, The play in the joint is not so bad at the moment so I will live with it this summer and when i take the Ratarossa of the road this winter i'll then strip out that rack and try it myself or check out your guy Graham.

13. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Thanks for the kind words Doug, good luck with the project, be great to see it on here.

Just try and enjoy the process, I took my time and really enjoyed the Ratarossa up until this point, obviously there have been some hairy moments and lots of head scratching, but then it feels that much better when you finally figure those dilemmas out. The guys on here are top notch, with all the help I was able to do the Testarossa ...... They are not life savers they are 'car savers' , together we literally saved the Ratarossa from the breakers yard.

turbo-joe and Doug Almond like this.
  14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Your rack problem is likely to be the worn bushing on pass. Side. You can check with Pantera parts seller they usually are the same.

15. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great story :)
    but scott: have you changed the timing belts already? can not remember to read and just now to lazy to read all the 31 pages

17. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Finally caught up with the entire thread, amazing. I really miss having a Ferrari now :(

The post about replacing the relay curing the rough running reminded me of fixing a similar issue with my (2.7) 355; replace one of the fuel pump relays and the whole thing ran so much sweeter.

One (stupid) question though. Did you ever take the engine out and replace the belts or are you still motoring about on the originals?! edit: Ha! Romano beat me to the question...

18. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Yes belts got changed a while back after getting the engine running, they were done by a local guy who has worked on lots of my Ferraris in the past, unfortunately I didn't get any pictures at the time so couldn't upload.

After recently driving the car a few times, Im compiling a list of jobs that need doing on the Rat and then planning when they will be done. Again when the cars off the road this winter I would like to get the engine out myself and start to clean it up and replace 'all' of the old belts and pipes. get everything running sweet and looking clean (under the skin)

19. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Back in the garage today.

Couple of quick jobs to rectify two annoying items

First was securing the brown speaker covers panels in place. I hadn’t put screws in these before due to them being modified from factory. So today fixed this. They had kept falling into my feet or passenger footwell while out driving so both dangerous and annoying

Secondly my drivers wing mirror had a terrible vibration wobble. Tracked this down to the two bolts that hold it in place. After trying to tighten them it was clear the issue was the threads had stripped. In order to rectify I luckily have a spare mirror, just missing the glass. However the electrics and cable were looking a bit sorry so instead I opted to just change over the mounting bracket.

To remove the mirror from mount you need to unthread the cable, this involves removing the round 6 pin connector as it is to large to pass through hole.

After swapping everything and bolting back in place I now have a nice clear and steady rear view while sat driving
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EZORED likes this.
  20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Have picked up Exhaust from storage (back seat of 911). Going to start measuring up to see how different it is from the US fitments
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The rat has the US style 2 bolt flanges?

I'd cut the flanges and rings off the euro box to start, then position the euro box in the car to see how much jog is needed. Then make or get some 2-bolt flanges (probably off the quiet box in the car), and then fabricate a small length of adapter pipe if needed. as you're trimming, keep as much pipe as you can to the catalysts, and as much pipe as you can on the euro muffler.

That is, if you're not asking "here's the challenge" rhetorically.

sjd

23. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Looking at the layout i'm not convinced its so easy. For one I am pretty sure I would have to lose the Cats due to the difference in the way the Euro pipes come into the car. Also I unless completely needed want to hack the S/S euro box apart

My idea:
    1. Fit Euro box in place .... hopefully it will hang on the same position brackets ? (my 308 had to be modified as the mounting points were direct US v Euro cars)
    2. Remove the Cats. This creates a void between the manifold/headers and muffler
    3. Get some straight through pipes fabricated with a 2 bolt clamp at US manifold side and 3 bolt camp at other Euro muffler side
    Job done ....lose the cats and create more noise :D:D:D

However one question before doing this is to figure out by removing the current system and cats and all the sensors thermocouple and analysing pipes associated with it. Will this then throw up errors and cause running issues ?

I did something very similar on my old 308 and converted the whole system to Euro, all the sensors were removed and it made zero difference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 likes this.
  24. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Running a few easy tests to see what happens if I install exhaust without sensors to US car.

First test: disconnect the o2 sensors

Result: Car starts and runs fine (in garage, not road tested yet)

25. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa