50th Anniversary of the Daytona, FCA National Meet, and Leonardo Fioravanti | FerrariChat

50th Anniversary of the Daytona, FCA National Meet, and Leonardo Fioravanti

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Fioravanti_(engineer)

This year we will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona at the 2018 national meet in Watkins Glen. Details can be found here. www.fca2018.org

Although it is getting late, there is still time to register for this event. It will be closing soon as it will be very, very well attended.

If you have a Daytona or special car, please check out the site, and register. If you have a Daytona, I am urging you to attend. If you are not a member of the FCA, it is low cost and easy to join. The FCA is very active, and has chapters in your area that offer activities on a local level.

Join here:
    https://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/index.cfm/ID/43/

Also, I hope we will have a special guest there, but I am uncertain. Due to Frank Mandarano's car guy tour http://www.carguytour.com the we participated in last year we met first hand and on a personal level some amazing people. One was Leonardo Fioravanti. From wikipedia: "He worked twenty-four years with Pininfarina, joining as a stylist in 1964, aged 26, and eventually becoming Managing Director and General Manager of Pininfarina's research arm, Pininfarina Studi & Ricerche. Before founding Fioravanti Srl in 1991 he held the positions of deputy General Manager at Ferrari and the director's role at the Centro Stile Alfa Romeo."

He was responsible for many great Ferrari designs, including the Daytona, Dino, Boxer, 308, 288 GTO, F40, etc. We have invited him but do not have a answer at this date. I am mentioning this, because many on this site have connections, and if you know him personally, please encourage him to come to America. I hope he can make it, but if not, we will still of course celebrate the 50th anniversary of his great design, the Daytona.

It is late, but registration is still open. If you have a Daytona or special car, please register. If you are not a FCA member, please join. As a long time member and former Chapter President, I think y0u will find the FCA to be fun, inviting, and full of adventure. Watkins Glen, Corning, and the Finger Lakes area is a great place to start or return.

Thanks to sponsorship by David MacNeil, CEO of WeatherTech, we are able to have a first class event and he always brings a truckload of special cars. This year might be even more interesting.

So that's about it. I think it will be one of the best FCA meets in some time, fully sold out. A final note, even if you don't bring a car, visit the concours and by all means come to the track to see how a Ferrari is meant to be driven. Pictured is Leonardo and his son, Luca. It was a privilege to have met them, thanks to Frank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am hoping to have another announcement of a special guest with 2 weeks.

Just confirmed in the last couple of days: Enzo Francesconi will be attending.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm From CA
    What if I won't be Bringing my Daytona
    and I'm not a FCA member, Could I still pay to attend the Concours and Track events?

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The concours is free but that will be the only public event. The track is closed to the public.

Lots of people will come without their Ferrari and just use rental cars during the event. There will still be plenty to keep you occupied with an F2 or F3 ticket.

Membership in the FCA is only $150. The California groups in the FCA are quite active you ought to get involved with them.

You will have to be a member to get the F2 or F3 ticket. Look at the Meet website for the ticket package details www.FCA2018.org

5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    This is the problem with the FCA, and the reason I stopped being a member. My interest was going to the major event, the FCA Annual meet. I attended without a car and simply wished to go to the concours, and watch at the track event. I didn't need the lunches, dinners, the goody bag of mostly throw-away commercial stuff, etc. Forced to buy a F2 package at $595 or a F3 package at $375 is poor value to spectate a couple of days without a car present given the travel expenses. I have commented on this in FCA surveys and never saw any consideration of a simple spectator member package - except a few times spectator tickets were offered annoyingly too late in the game on a limited basis. I'm not expecting it for free, but a more basic option would be welcome. It is the only way I would bother to re-join. At least the concours is public this year and I will stop by for that.

Lusso123 and turbo-joe like this.
  6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thank you

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'm attempting/planning to attend and due to lacking any interesting vintage Ferrari to travel in, making preliminary plans to drive my 85 year old (non-Ferrari) roadster (with +/- 65 year old drive train) to-and-from this and couple of other (vintage car) events within same time-frame with expectations of accumulating 6000+ miles of road adventure.
    So far, I already have 3 friends (all real car guys) from Europe expressed interest in sharing the ride and experience. Unfortunately, the car is only a 2-seater, so also considering the idea of potentially splitting the trip between two ride-alongs, one east bound and other west bound.
    Expecting a great road trip, even without a (vintage) Ferrari to drive. :D

Dogdish and Juan-Manuel Fantango like this.
  8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Fabulous, sounds like serious fun.

In case anyone is wondering, a Ferrari is not required for either the Shell Rally or the Shell Pleasure Drive.

Any car can do the lunchtime touring sessions on Watkins Glen. There is a separate sign up for this.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Ok have to know what car (s)?! You sould like the ultimate car guy...

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Slightly(?) modified/hot rodded/stripped 1932 Plymouth Sport Roadster with somewhat more "modern" running gear from late-'40s/early-'50s, but the car has no component features or technology newer than about 1952-53.

The intended road trip to N.Y. would also be a kind of "home coming" for the car, since she spent most of her life in upstate N.Y., Buffalo/Rochcester area, from where I acquired her 30 years ago. I still have her last N.Y. plates and road registration/title, from 1952(!!!)

I've done many cross country drives with 1950s and later era vintage cars, but this would be my first with a pre-war car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dogdish likes this.
  11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Extraordinary cool!

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As a side note to FCA International Meet organizers:
    I don't doubt following has been suggested before, but my own posts about the possible long distance road trip to FCA2018 in a 85 year old vehicle and having seen similar efforts promoted by other car/brand dedicated clubs, I was wondering why don't FCA, with the help of some event sponsor (fuel/oil or tire company ?), create a "long distance (Grand Touring?) award/reward" to promote cars getting driven to the event. Perhaps even series of awards/rewards based on decades ('50s, '60s, '70s, etc). In this day and age it would be easy to create a verification guidelines and reward(s) could be something like free fuel (for a year or in some specific $ amount ?) or set of new tires, etc...
    Not to mention "the real car guy" bragging rights :cool:

Dogdish and Lusso123 like this.
  13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Shell has done a long distance driving award of a Ferrari in the recent past.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Glad to hear/read.
    I guess I'm just surprised FCA, "the club" catering to cars which most are/were designed and intended for long distance leisure (Gran Turismo ?) travel, and it's affiliate event sponsors are not taking more advantage of such an apparent marketing opportunities.
    Even I, without any professional marketing background, can imagine so many potentially far reaching and long term marketing benefits for a sponsor(s) of such awards/rewards.
    Perhaps FCA could tie the names of such awards/rewards to that famous Mr. Ed Gilbertson quote and promote them at same/similar level as the Coppa awards ?

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed Gilbertson Award Criteria (Revised Feb 3 2015)
    8.1. Ferraris are Meant to be Driven Award

8.1.1. In recognition of over 20 years as Chief Judge of the Ferrari Club of America, the Pacific Region has established the “Ed Gilbertson – Ferrari’s are Meant To Be Driven Award” as a perpetual award to recognize those active club members who regularly drive their Ferraris. The Award honors Ed and his philosophy that "Ferraris are meant to be driven."

8.1.2. Reasons why a car and owner might be nominated may include:

• A racecar that was campaigned for years and is still driven in vintage racing
    • A car driven a great distance to the FCA Annual Meet
    • A car that is regularly and well driven at club events
    • A daily driver
    8.1.3. The winning candidate will be selected, and the award presented, during the current year’s FCA Annual Meet.

8.1.4. The award recipient will receive an award to keep. Also, their name, car model, and car serial number will be engraved onto a plaque which will be attached to the “Ferraris are Meant to be Driven” perpetual award.

8.1.5. Criteria for a candidate:

8.1.5.1. The candidate must be an active FCA member who regularly demonstrates the spirit of the Club and the car.

8.1.5.2. The candidate’s Ferrari must be well and regularly driven, and used at club, track, Concours, and/or “Ride and Drive” type events.

8.1.5.3 The car and nominee must participate and earn at least 85 points in the FCA Annual Meet Concours for the current year or one of the three previous years.”

8.1.5.4. Nominees must be sponsored by their Regional Director; the idea being that the Director will know which members are truly active, how they drive their cars, and therefore which of their members are worthy of this major award.

8.1.5.4.1. A member may present themselves to their Regional Director.

8.1.5.5. This award may only be received once per member

8.1.6 The process for selection is as follows:

8.1.6.1 Each region's Director may nominate up to two members, by sending a written nomination letter to the current FCA Chief Concours Judge, FCA-PR
    Regional Director, and/or Pacific Region Director of Concours.

8.1.6.2. The deadline for nominations is the same as that of the FCA Annual Meet Concours.

8.1.6.3. A committee will select the most eligible candidates and rate them in order. That committee shall consist of the FCA Chief Concours Judge, the Pacific Region Director of Concours, the FCA-PR Regional Director, and others as recruited by the committee.

8.1.6.4. A member of Pacific Region, and/or the FCA Chief Concours Judge, will present the award to the winner during the FCA Annual Meet.

8.1.6.5. If the committee is unable to select a suitable candidate, the award will not be presented.

16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Is this a period 50's hotrod? Was Kirk White involved in it at all? I know he's from Pennsylvania, but active in hot rods on the east coast, all over really. Love reading his 'Don't Wash Mine' accounts.

Perry

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OK, I didn't know the award with THAT name was already in use, although selection process for it seems quite a bit more cumbersome than I suggested and it doesn't seem to directly apply to my thoughts of "longest distance driven to attend" a specific meet.

I was just thinking something more simple to achieve and wouldn't require entry to or specific point scoring at the concours.
    It could/should be achievable by any one registered and willing to drive their Ferrari long distance to the event. Only requirements would be it/they has/have identifiable VIN with Ferrari produced body, designed & power train, even if slightly modified, and the drive to the event could potentially be proven with (digital ?) photos of mileage/fuel gauge readings and fueling receipts along the route, including start & finish. Fairly easy, I think.

As for the name of the award/reward(s), maybe allow the sponsor(s) name on it. Also, as I mentioned earlier, instead of just one per meet, try convince sponsor(s) into offering several, perhaps based on decades or models of vehicles or ... and in actual/useful product, like a certain amount of fuel, set of tires, etc (in a form of gift card ?), along with small commemorative certificate or plaque.

OTOH, I've never been involved organizing any event, so perhaps my suggestions are not practical, but I just thought they might be worth sharing and if utilized, could encourage more owners to attend and drive their car(s) to future International Meets.

I've seen other car clubs awarding/rewarding long distance driving to events and on some occasions, winners have accomplished 2000-3000 mile (one-way!) journeys with 60+ year old, rare, vintage cars.
    Some have even endured serious problems along the way, earning them additional "Hard Luck"(?) awards.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, it is and prior to my acqusition & rebuilding it 30 years ago, it was built (likely after WWII) and used as such up until about 1952 in upstate N.Y. area.
    Not to my knowledge.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Besides, what could be cooler than seeing some older Ferrari, be they 250 GTs (LWB, SWB, etc) or 308s rolling up to "the Meet" looking like they just finished an entire MM or TdF.
    Now that, IMO and I know I'm in minority, should be awarded/celebrated, perhaps more than anything,

Dogdish likes this.
  20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I do like the idea of institutionalizing a long distance award and especially recognizing for older cars that make the trip. In 2016 a recognition with Shel gift card went to a person that drove a Mondial (308/328) from Houston to Columbus, Ohio. Maybe we can get something done with the current group of sponsors WeatherTech, Shell, Pirelli, Hagerty, Vontobel, Corning, Intercity, Ferrari Market Letter, Trailex. If not for this year, then 2019 in Scottsdale, Arizona.

As for the current Ed Gilbertson Award, that was designed to recognize year round usage of one's Ferrari.

lgs and TTR like this.
  21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Or perhaps you could reach out to one of those Ferrari dedicated interweb chatroom operations** and convince them to become a sponsor of such awards/rewards. ;)
    I, for one, could easily see such cooperation benefitting all parties involved. :)

** I've heard rumors of more than one existing. o_O

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It really is too bad that the 2018 FCA Annual Meet at The Glen collides not only with the 50th anniversary meeting of the Club Ferrari France, and the Swiss Grand Prix Montreux but also especially with the Ferrari Factory Cavalcade Classic held in Sardegna.
    Nobody talks to each other, nobody cares.

Marcel Massini

23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Marcel,

There are lots of difficulties in setting a schedule for the Meet. A major one is getting track availability nailed down. The original plan had for this to be on a different weekend but Watkins Glen decided to book a pro race instead.

We are scheduled through 2021 with set locations and dates. Maybe this will help others.

November 6-10 (Wednesday - Sunday)
    Scottsdale AZ
    Track: Bondurant Circuit USA
    Host hotel: DoubleTree Resort Paradise Valley-Scottsdale
    Thursday Concours: Scottsdale Sports Complex
    Thursday Evening Reception: Penske Museum/Scottsdale Ferrari

July 25-29
    Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Track: Circuit Mont-Tremblant
    Host hotel: Fairmont

July 10-14
    Portland OR
    Track: Portland International Raceway
    Host hotel: Red Lion Resort

lgs likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you Jeff.
    I know you guys do your best.

Marcel Massini

bighitter2 likes this.
  25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    How did it go?
    It would be great to see thee photos of the Daytona's.