Dino F40 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino F40

Discussion in '206/246' started by msdesignltd, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #76 miurasv, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Power seems to be about 280 BHP from the below Moto Technique video so well shy of the 400 claimed. In the video description the engine, not just the block, is said to be F40. In the video description the heads are said to be re-ported with larger valves, presumably to overcome the smaller valves and ports of the turbo'd F40 heads that they may have?

Using a 328 or Mondial 3.2 engine is better solution than using an F40 block and 348 heads anyway as so many modifications would need to be made to the combination with the 328 gearbox which would compromise it, which is probably why they've used a 328/Mondial 3.2 engine/heads/gearbox. 280 BHP is a massive improvement over the standard unit. Can't understand the reasoning for the claims though. To justify the $1 million said to have been spent on the conversion????

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    You are making assumptions here Miura QV, was that our first power run or our last ;-} cheers all, Kev.

3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    333SP: start 1993
    Dino died in 1956

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Maybe he meant 750 Monza.

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    This Dino is an amazing development. Like a buffet, you don’t have to like everything but you must respect the talent and the result. What I appreciate about Kevin and his team is being creative, open minded and fearless! Those are the types of people I seek out and I find are the most interesting. The other thing I love about Kevin is every time I’ve emailed him, he has responded with a precise, knowledgeable, valuable reply that has answered my sometimes difficult questions! My Dino is my own journey and reflects what I love. I don’t expect others to like what I like. Some kids just play with their toys and put them away. There are some that take them apart and see what makes them work! Some of us never grow up!

I’ll be going to visit Andy Cohen this afternoon to get a ride in the Dino. I’m really looking forward to it!

davemqv and cnpapa24 like this.
  6. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Looks like Jalopnik picked up on the F40 block story:

https://jalopnik.com/why-this-guy-spent-1-3-million-to-restore-a-dino-with-1826406030

And Mr Lee is busy marketing it from what the article says.

A real shame if this ends up bringing Mototechnique's quality piece of work into question. Which is exactly what happened with with one of their other projects where they converted an existing F40 racing mod from Germany to an LM-style car. The owner kept insisting it was always an F40 LM but just not built by Michelotto like the originals. Then someone dug up the history to show it had never been converted to an LM, leaving a great bit of work under a cloud. There's a whole thread in the supercar section.

At some point, there is something called "over-marketing"!

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #82 miurasv, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Thing is, what has Mr Lee actually been told about the block in the car?
    Your clarification of what cylinder block and heads are actually in the car would be appreciated by the forum I think.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

So.....I just got back from Malibu visiting Andy Cohen and the V8 Dino. We took it into the canyon and then he let me drive it. All I can say is WOW! The power, the sound, the acceleration and braking is exhilarating! My main critique was the power steering. It felt too light (but still good feedback) when driving the curves but was welcome when driving slow and maneuvering. Apparently it can be adjusted via software. The purpose of this Dino is to test all the systems and keep improving it. I’m more than happy to have tested it and give my feedback! I can tell you first hand, it still feels like and has the soul of the Dino!

What Kevin, Andy and David Lee are accomplishing, I have to applaud! This makes the Dino more usable to a larger enthusiast (and wealthy) audience. We talked a lot about the aesthetics. Again, a subjective subject. I would expect each subsequent car to just get better and better.

Freeman

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I wonder why the engine designation and Ferrari markings on the block look like they've been altered by being stamped in from the first pic here that Freeman posted yesterday? You can see on the 2nd pic that's said to be from a 328 GTB/S that the word Ferrari and the F105C are cast and raised.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  11. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    David's 250 is already a questionable piece of "verified" information by his own words. Wouldn't surprise me if this Dino shares a similar, shady backstory behind its claims.

Which is sad. It looks like a proper piece of kit that would fill order forms without the over-marketing as redwood put it.

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    great stuff Freeman, I would love to drive it too…. I drove Kevin`s personal Dino two years ago at the Baltic sea, felt great too, but this one must be even better. I still prefer a 100% authentic Dino, but if I would have a few more millions in my bank account, this car would be high up on my purchasing list too…. Kevin is a great guy, looking forward to meet him again soon at 50 years of Ferrari Dino on 30th of June 2018 in Maranello....

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Did the original Dino use a Ferrari branded VIN tag like this one now sports? I always thought there was no Ferrari badging on them at all?

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think more importantly the characters look different. The top line F in Ferrari should extend over the rest of the letters like the actual logo (for the 105 blocks, not all Fcar blocks have that design). It doesn't in the V8 Dino engine photo.

miurasv likes this.
  15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #90 4CamGT, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Matthias,

I too appreciate a 100% original Dino but I am fascinated by this journey. I can imagine this has expanded the further acceptance of different types of Dinos among the cognisti, such as, 1) 100% as it left the factory, 2) some period mods ie color change, Campys’s, ignition etc, 3) some performance mods ie engine, carbs, brakes, wheels etc and then 4) something like this or any combination of 1 - 4. If you keep all the original parts with the car and they can be easily bolted back on or the mods reversed, where’s the harm? This journey has spurred a lot of conversation.

I see the popularity and desirability of the Dino increasing much the early 911. Even though those with unlimited resources choose the Dino as their ultimate “Ferrari”!

Freeman

16. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke

Hi Miurasv, many thanks for all your supportive postings which you have made over the years, it's so rewarding to hear that our work is valued and appreciated ;-} As for the David Lee Evo Dino, I'd love to share with you and our fellow Fchatters all the innermost secrets as to how we achieved this a wonderful concoction …………. sadly and regrettably they are not mine to share as I am bound by Client confidentiality and data protection regulations.
    As I've previously said; the massive power we have achieved whilst expected is but a minor player in this class act; It's the subtlety in the symbiotic relationship of all the esoteric ideas coming together, it's that last 2% of effort when others would give up, the determination to succeed and we just love it.

This car is foooookin amazing and will blow your socks ( sox ) off and you won't be able to park it up as every nuance will fill you with pride and a deep sense of accomplishment whether you just drove it or built it !!!!!!! Listen to the people who have driven it and get behind this project and love life, cheers Kev. Ps Freeman, I was that kid who took all my toys to pieces ( I didn't get them all back together, but I think I could now ;-}

dgt likes this.
  17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Hmmm I imagine California smog rules are easier to achieve with an old Mondial engine number stamped on the block rather than a Frankenstien F40 one! o_O but then again I am always thinking outside the box about how to get around obstacles :cool:

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Actually, in California, if the vehicle is MY ‘75 or older, there are no smog tests. You could pretty much install any motor.

19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The mystery continues then! :)

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I do agree… !

21. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    OK Client Confidentiality, but Data Protection; please? You'll be blaming the EU next :-{

It's an interesting project though.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    That didn't seem to such a big issue when Octane Magazine ran an article on this car in June based around an interview with you. :D

"For this car, Kevin sourced an alloy Ferrari F40 engine
    block (bored out to 3.6 litres from its original 2.9), a pair
    of 348 four-valve heads (bigger valves than the
    turbocharged F40’s), Ferrari throttle-body fuel injection
    and fly-by-wire throttle, titanium conrods and bespoke
    crankshaft, plus F40-type radiator and cooling fans. After
    3000 hours and a whole lot of engineering thought, the
    turn-key result is 400bhp for this Ferrari Dino V8."

May be a simple yes or no regarding whether the car does actually have an F40 block is all it takes......

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Just to add to the confusion the 105C engine block from the Mondial as shown fitted to the Lee car in the pic is a 3.2 litre not the earlier 2.9 litre. None of it makes sense at the moment.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  25. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I like the project a lot but if the idea was to emulate for Dinos what Singer has done with 911s, they are falling well short in terms of marketing. The project has generated excitement but also a fair amount of confusion and unanswered questions, which at this stage of the game is not great. Part of it is that, while a nice guy, Mr.Lee just doesn't come across as the kind of passionate, hard core, and KNOWLEDGEABLE spokesman for the product that Rob Dickinson from Singer Design is. For all we know the confusion comes from him getting some facts wrong (just like saying that Dino Ferrari helped design the 333 sp) and finding it too hard to publicly correct them...