What is your favorite thing about your 3X8? | FerrariChat

What is your favorite thing about your 3X8?

Discussion in '308/328' started by eyeman1234, Jun 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    27811 likes this.
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    When I look at it it reminds me of when I was 13 when I first saw one in real life. Seriously, it still does that to me and I love it.

I thought about that again this afternoon. Garage door was up and I walked past it while I was collecting a garden hose lying in the driveway. That round tail light caught my eye for a moment and I thought how cool it looked. I stood there for a moment and glanced up at the house across the street. It belongs to an ENT doc that drove a 330 when I was growing up. I used to ride by his house and look up his driveway to try and catch a glimpse of his Ferrari when I was a kid.

Now I was standing in MY driveway straight across the street looking at my Ferrari disappearing into the blackness of my garage.

That's what I love about mine. It reminds me of when I was a kid again and that big thrill I got when I saw one.

Amazing it still does this to me. It all started back in 81 and I have had mine now for over two decades - and I still get thst same feeling when I look at it.

Dane, 903L, Martin308GTB and 12 others like this.
  5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I hate to make this sound like some sort of valentine, but the thing I like best about my Ferrari is how it opened a door to a world of friendship. I like how I feel like I am part of some sort of elite club full of like-minded members who are as nuts for a car as I am. So many friends.

I like that the car is famous. I like how beautiful the car is. I like that it is relatively simple to fix. I like that it is reliable.

I like how it makes me feel so fortunate.

Dane, DonB, 903L and 7 others like this.
  6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Lets keep it simple...

For me it's the side air scoops.

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I like how it fits me like a glove and how it makes me feel when fanging up a twisty mountain, with Enzo's symphony in my ears!

eyeman1234 likes this.
  8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The lines are amazing.

9. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    To me the lines, I love how small the car. It is just an absolutely beautiful car.
    I love the seating position and how the instruments are just all business tucked under the cowl ( is that the right word?)
    The gated shifter is classic....
    Ok I’ll stop there as it said what is your favorite “thing” and I have started a list.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s a gorgeously timeless design and it’s paid in full :D

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, if we have to pick only one element, that's probably it. They uniquely defined the design and they're not even fake!

Rossocorsa1, Rosey and eyeman1234 like this.
  12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    The interior smell...fuel, oil, burned electrical insulation, cigarettes, and a hint of ladies’ perfume. Like and old fighter jet...except the perfume part.

Shamile and eyeman1234 like this.
  13. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    When I met with Leonardo Fioravanti 2 years ago, he asked me the exact same question. I answered my favorite part was the line that starts at the top of the air scoop, going from rear to front, does a U-turn and back all the way to the back of the car, thanks to a very subtle angle after the rear wheel arch. He smiled, and said: "me too, I like it".

Dane, Formula Uno, Pierceb and 2 others like this.
  14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  15. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    The 308 and 328 are in that sweet spot where they are not too old, hard to repair, or too valuable, to drive all around on weekends- and yet old enough to feel "old school" and involving for the driver because of their design.

The 3X8's ( and the Dinos ) seem to be the seminal designs of the Ferrari 8 cylinder mid-engine cars and as such define an era that I step back into every time I get into it...

Love the sound of that 32-valve 8000 RPM engine!
    Music!

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You know the biggest negative of the 308/328 series was the fact that they built so many of them relative to some earlier models.

Can you image if they only built 1,000 or less 308's or 328's. With that shape, reliability and drivability they would be one of the most prized /collectable /valuable Ferrari's of all time.
    Leaving the 206/246 Dino's for dead.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, the car still has some power of attraction hidden in her sleeve, isn't it?
    It does this to me almost everytime I have to fill her up, which I did this Saturday for my GTS. Three or four people always looking at the car with funny expression on their face. Once fill-up is finished, I leave the car behind me to walk the few meters to the cashier boot, and every time, and I mean EVERYTIME, I turn around and exit after having paid and look at the car, seeing these lines, how low and small it is compared to almost all the vehicles around, I said to myself: "Gosh, that car is just drop-dead gorgeous".
    I love to fill her up...

Rgds

rocket50, Crowndog, mspelt and 5 others like this.
  18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The only difference is the perfume, Will? Fighter jets still smell of cigarettes?:D

Rgds

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #20 Hannibal308, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Absolutely. We don't smoke in them. But I would often take a piss and smoke a "Lucky" right before jumping in the jet, so most of them had a cigarette "tinge". And I did say old fighter jets, like my F-16. Maybe these days, they smell of perfume instead of cigarettes...

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, that's what I was thinking also...could well be.

Rgds

Hannibal308 likes this.
  21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    There is just something about the center console of a 308.

When I was first pondering a Ferrari and learning the differences between the likes of a Testarossa and a 360, that console in the 308 just bowled me over. I love the sliders, the mouse ears, the gauges, shift gate, etc. Amazing stuff.

… then I noticed the side air scoops. Game over.

Crowndog, Formula Uno and eyeman1234 like this.
  22. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Very interesting topic.
    Apart from all the obvious (scoops, pop up lights, gear shift gate etc)..
    I like that you see the engine anytime you use the boot.
    I also like the carburettor intake sound in your right ear.
    I don’t like 2nd gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeman1234 likes this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hate second gear !!!!

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran