512BB prices dropping? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512BB prices dropping?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jww427, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'm quite certain you don't have to drop the engine to change the belts on a 365 Boxer.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... as someone who has owned one.....

I had to change the timing chain and tensioner at about 20K miles. Pulling the engine out the top in a Dino is no easy task. I would never call working on a Dino "easy". The 308 is far easier in comparison. Freeze plugs leak, the oil leaks from the distributor onto the headers, the interior is always warmed from the upfront radiator, finding someone today who can tune the carbs properly is not easy. And they are easy to rust.

The Dino has many flaws that people today overlook. People buy it for what it looks like. It's certainly not rare and in may cases few are truly "authentic" (aka exactly as they were made). My point is I never understood the value of Dino's versus other cars, including the carbed Boxer. People just buy what they like I suppose.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Good to know. How about on the 512BB ? If that’s the case please let me know. I’d then want one.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    All valid points. Still a great classic.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    512BB is dry sump so may make a difference. Ask Dyke. He will know I'm sure.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Skippr,

Removing the engine out of the Boxer is not a big deal... The engine comes out the top and it took me about 7 hours to remove it the first time I did it. Subsequent times ( e.g typical engine out service, etc) took about 6 hours. That being said, some things are a bit cranky to get to... such as the exhaust header to cylinder head nuts, etc... and so if these were problematic then the time could increase a bit. Having removed the Boxer engine and from 308s (GT4s, GTS, GTSi), I actually prefer the engine-out service's on boxer, as I find it easier and it has a lot more room within the engine bay.

Cheers,

Sam

pcarcraig and Skippr1999 like this.
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Skipp: Or ask Newman. He works on Boxers all the time.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Valuation between a Dino 246 and a BB(i) is easy; just ask a woman which one of them she'll rather drive or be seen in. I can guaranty you she will pick the Dino. I know for sure as I own both cars and I'm still married to a woman.....-:)

Best Peter

Nuvolari and Skippr1999 like this.
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you are absolutely right about that. my wife does not like the bbi.
    however, in my view, ie, the guy who actually buys and drives them, my wife's opinion of the car ceased to be a salient point on the decision tree ever since she objected to me buying clint eastwood's 275gtb in 1994.....

cgt000 and pshoejberg like this.
  10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My wife HATED my Boxer! Absolutely hated it, wouldn't get near it. Never once rode in it.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a man's car. Plain and simple. We should be thankful.

miurasv likes this.
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Women see the Boxer's immense beauty and power as a threat and competition for their attention. That's why they hate it. :)

Skippr1999 and sixcarbs like this.
  13. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    One reason that car sold low is that VAT has yet to be paid on the car - and selling it in Europe means any end user is going to have to turn around and immediately pay VAT, which in the case of Germany is 19%! Also, note the 200 MPH speedo, so obviously the speedometer has been changed at one point, so who knows really how many miles are on the car. Also, no mention of recent servicing, tools, etc. That being said, it does look nice and the miles may indeed be accurate, but there are a lot of nuances and details that can dramatically impact price on these cars. Of course my car is also for sale on this web site so my opinions may be slightly biased!!

15. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  16. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    "For the life of me I never understood Dino prices."

I think its because they are so pretty and fun to drive.

Where do you think 512BB prices are relative to 246GT coupe prices? Just curious.

Drew

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I see $299,900, not $$229,000.

Still it shows that time capsule asking prices are coming down. $300,000 asking price from a dealer on a sub-5,000 mile car. I wonder what the seller sold it to them for, what was the seller willing to let it go for?

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day SixCarbs,

It was $229K USD... just so I am losing my marbles I checked the Ebay ad and sure enough the ad was revised where they changed the buy it now price.... Thus the $229K was a typo!

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jjtarnow

jjtarnow Rookie

Oct 31, 2012
    Millburn, NJ
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I've been in the market for a 512bb/bbi for a few years & it seems to me that prices have started to drop.
    A good example is the '83 for sale @ LBI (just outside Philadelphia) which has been on offer for almost a year & has steadily dropped from $300k to under $250k.

21. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    now is a good time to buy a BB .... i just bought one last month... a nice, 18k on the odometer, white 1983 BBi i feel like i am in a good position for a medium to long term hold. last owner bought it in 2003 and sold it in 2018 for 4x what he paid.

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have rebuilt both, and I found the opposite to be true. Both cars have their quirks, but there were times on the 308 where I was sure Ferrari intentionally made things difficult. Especially considering the 308 was made after the 246.
    Exhaust, starter, AC, alternator, belts, even plugs are ridiculous. The design seems to be, "just pull the engine for that."

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    it's strange. BBs are down, but Dinos are holding strong and even going up for the very nice and rare ones.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sold or asking?

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I know of a closed sale recently of a GTS at 370k.