Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    You must live a charmed life if those are the things that elecit such strong feelings. Jesus man.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No, just a passionate guy. What others do with their cars is cool with me. Just my opinion which is worth no more or less than anyone's. :)

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

is that stock exhaust? Thanks

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I am a passionate car guy as well, and as a passionate car guy I wouldn't say I hate what another passionate car guy has done to his car, particularly if I owned a business refinishing stick parts commenting on a guy's car who has 3 cars that need refinishing. ;)

Dave rocks likes this.
  5. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Yes. Its the only car I have that I haven't modified the exhaust on, because it sounds so damn good as is. I don't know if the F1's sound different than the normal transmission cars or not.....

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, that is all true but people come to us based on our performance and results, not my stubborn opinions :)

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Get a 2009 with an F1 super fast tranny - makes all the difference in the world - have had no problems - love the car - even added c Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login arbon ceramic brakes from an FF

Dave rocks likes this.
  8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I've heard people mention F1 issues but neither I or anyone I know has had a problem - and I tracked mine for 2 weekends in a row with a friend who is a pro when it was new - wanted to see how it would do - it was great - costs me $8900 to replace ties, rotors calipers etc but no brake downs or any problems with F1 - funny all four tires were worn the same - bald - it can really be a nice nimble drive (for its size). Also helps that one button takes all controls off - finally I believe there r more differences in the F1 then just the F1 - suspension for sure
    Not trying to pimp my car at all - I would never sell (my daughter and wife would kill me) the car - why too much difference in price and value - this car f1 is the most value compared to sale price I have ever seen in exotics

10. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    There are no "issues" with the F1, but they do require alot more maintenance and $ to own and operate. Even if nothing goes wrong, you have a clutch to consider, whereas the hydraulic systems don't. You will also likely need an F1 actuator at some point. Neither of those services are cheap. You also have the fluid change in the gear box (not a big issues, but still more $ than the non-F1). I own one, and like you will never sell it, wonderful cars, but more money to run than the normal GTS for sure.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Been test driving a few...... So far, I like the car quite a bit, but I'm a little underwhelmed by its power. I do realize this is designed to be a true "GT" car --- and not a sports car.

But, at 454hp (for the later 4.7L models), I expected a bit more grunt...... until I looked up the curb weight --- about 4,200lbs for the base model US spec cars !!!

Holy crap ! How are these so damn heavy ?! Does appear that they are mostly steel (sub frames & body panels) construction, with little to no aluminum or composite usage...... but, even still, that's an awfully heavy pig for a mid-sized performance car !

What accounts for all this weight ?

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    That's because it drives more like a Ferrari - worth the costs

AAK007 likes this.
  13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno

100% in agreement.

14. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    100% agree.

have you driven the F1 cambiocorsa

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 2013 S has plenty of power for me as my DD.

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Glad you agree - u have a Ferrari engine, Ferrari F1, and a Ferrari suspension at a cheap costs - I was so glad I found the last one in the US new in 2009 - I was standing in the parking lot at Ferrari Fort Lauderdale and they had one in service - I checked the whole car - cranked it and that was it - paid $135,000 for one FFL found in Denver - Best buy I ever made - the last one available new - curious, whas it's worth now? Of course I put carbon ceramic brakes from an RR and added a 599 HGTE brake assist on it but thats just my fooling around - but by God you can stop fast - can't go fast if u can't stop fast

AAK007 likes this.
  17. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The point for anyone reading this is the F1 is a special car with far more maintenance than a normal GT car, and glad you agree with me on that point.

AAK007 likes this.
  18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I've not had any related costs with the F1 yet - car is 9 yrs old with 16,000 miles on it so I'll see

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #44 finnerty, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Well, I'd have to say......yes, and no, on that point.....

Designed and built by Ferrari, yes, but engineered by Fiat as to final configuration. To wit, toss in the 90 degree crankshaft, associated piston / connecting rod / camshaft geometry changes plus entirely different firing order, valve timing, and fuel / ignition mapping...... and you don't really have a "Ferrari" engine anymore..... instead it's really just a shared set of block and cylinder head castings.

20. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Just curious if you have had a clutch reading at service to see remaining clutch life. I have about 30k, and I can feel I am coming up on needing a clutch.

I have heard you can greatly extend clutch life by using only manual shift...I never use auto mode because manual is so much fun :)

Also, does anyone have any information on the F1 exhaust. I believe its different, but dont konw for sure

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I will have to check the latest (February) invoice from Maserati of Greenville - of course I had gone over it then but can't remember standing out wear wise but I'll look
    I only use manual - thats what I pay for - also in the mnts I drive like on a track so have to shift manually to do that
    Do not know about the exhaust except that it sounds great
    I did have the chrome around the windows painted black and added cc mirrors and door handles Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I hate it when people confuse fiction with facts - only kidding - interesting but I'm going to keep telling people that it has a Ferrari engine

Thanks for the info

23. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I wouldn't say it's wrong to call it a Ferrari engine, but there are some very dramatic technical differences between the versions Ferrari used and the versions Maserati used.

It depends on one's point of view, I suppose.....

For anyone who wants the details and to understand the distinctions, here is pretty good cheat sheet ---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F136_engine