Ship my 348 to Aus | FerrariChat

Ship my 348 to Aus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ltjng, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Anybody know is that worth to ship my F348tb from HK back to Aus?

I know the import tax is quite an amount. Any comments?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Income tax is 40% of value of vehicle (or purchase price if you can 100% prove that ... note: they will get twitchy if they think you are able to make a fortune from selling the vehicle, and it is up to their discretion on what value they use :().

The biggest problem IMO, is that they will want to lift the car with a fork lift, and with little or no care (as time costs money). They lift the car so the quarantine guys and girls can check for dirt, etc. and if they deem the car not to be clean enough they will steam clean it and charge you. There is very little you can do to stop this process. I managed to but only after a very long day and having the car shell (yes it was only a shell) on a trailer which was high enough for them to see underneath.

I personally think that you would have more success if you had a couple of slabs of VB (local beer) in the back of your car ... and they were nice and cold, then again you could end up in jail!!!

I seriously suggest that you get a frame made that the cars tyres sit on, and thus frame is fixed to the car (say via straps over the wheels), and this frame has castor wheels under it. Make sure they can easily see all of the underneath of the car around or through this frame. This means that they can pull the car out of the can on this frame, lift the car easily using this frame (instead of your cars floor) via a fork lift. If you do this, make sure you put a very clear sign that indicates the purpose of the frame, and not to remove the car from the frame. Respectively remember that these guys and girls do not work at the wharf because they have extremely high IQ, so spell it out for them ... and also make sure you are there on the day they unpack the container.

Good luck ... and fill those deep pockets.

Pete

3. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    This will tell you how far the Government will get up your frock.

http://www.customs.gov.au/resources/Files/Mvguide3.pdf

Whether or not you will get it complied and registered depends on a number of issues.

Luck
    John

4. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Thanks John and Pete,

I better think twice before I ship my car there!

How come it is so difficult to own a Ferrari there? Here we got more than 300 ferraris in Hong Kong where the city and population is smaller than Sydney.

Do Aussie hate Ferrari but love Ford and Holden only?

Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The Australian Government hates everything that does not some how make them look good. Ford and Holden are made in Australia, thus they are employing Aussies ...

There are plenty of Ferraris here, you just have to want to import one really badly.

I imported my Alfa Romeo from NZ, because the restoration has been a huge part of my life (challenging but enjoyable part), and I am not going to give in on it just because I moved country ;)

Pete

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hang on...it's not quite as bad as if seems. If it's your car and you've owned it for sometime...I have no idea how long, sorry....you can bring it over under totally different conditions. I have NO idea where you get the information, but my sister did it years ago.

7. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Hi Aircon.

I owned my car over 5 years now, if you sister did that b4, that would be nice if you can pass me some experience.

I did spend so much effort to keep my car in good sharp, as everybody does, I am not gonna give this up just because I have to move back for good.

Anyway, I will dig some information from the importers in Sydney.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes Aircon is right.

I just have recently gone through a bad experience with importing to Sydney and thus still a little pissed.

If you have owned the car for a reasonable time, I think you will have to get it independently valued ... which is what I did.

I did not have to pay any tax on my car because it is not worth anything in its present condition (ie. half way through a major restoration).

If my car had not been damaged I would be a happy little chappy.

Registering your car should not be an issue (is it RHD?) as there are 348s driving around over here.

In the end it is simply tax and damage to your car that will be the issues.

Also if the car comes in and is drivable ... the wharfies will drive it, and they appear to have a lot of fun with this task, well that is what I gathered after having a chat with them ;). Thus another reason for the frame I suggested.

The other issue I found is that the shipping companies don't really know what they are doing and getting information out of them is very difficult.

Basically you will need to prove ownership, provide passport, valuation, steam clean it.

The container from NZ to Sydney only cost $1500, but there are many other little costs, ie. unloading, fees here and there. I did not have to pay for steam cleaning, or any tax, just GST on the shipping cost and all up I think it cost me around $4000.

Good luck, and yes do it (if RHD) but make sure you allow 25% more money, as shipping companies always seem to miss a charge, etc. and think about how to eliminate damage.

Pete

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes...of course I am! Fly it over...that's what I did with an F40...not expensive and painless. Without doubt you can bring a car over and drive it...LHD OR RHD as long as you show proof of ownership and registration...but to keep it here? THAT I don't know the ins and outs of.

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Forget the importers - first thing, read the customs link above - that will tell you how much duty, GST & LCT you will need to pay. Having owned the car for 5 years, you will get a discount. Add that amount to the price you can get for the car in Hong Kong. Add some bucks for transport etc. That will give you, in effect, your landed cost. Compare that to what you can buy the equivalent OZ car for and that will tell you whether the exercise is worthwhile.
    Much luck
    John

11. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Thanks all you guys! Very much appreciated!

I find that the Australia region here is the most friendly sub-forum here.

If I can get my car there by the end of the year, I am happy to join the Ferrari club in Australia.

Anyway, will share my experience after I did that time-consuming, and risky importing process.

Again, thanks so much.

Jackie

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Nah....we're just sucking you in and giving you a false sense of security. You have to be particularly careful of that jmillard guy...he lives in Perth, you know..that says it all.

13. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Quite Right.............................

"Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did, all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work. WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the government and business."

Go to go - my bus is coming!

14. ferdy

ferdy Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Australia melbourne
    Full Name:
    Hiran fernando
    hi jacki,
    I live in the middle east (kuwait) and Iam planning to ship my 328 to aussie when I finally migrate. I am also taking my porsche 911 turbo and my 911 cabrio. They are all LHD and i plan to convert them when I move in. I have been studying the import regulations for a while, so here is some infor for you;
    before you ship you have to apply for an vehical import approval from the dept of transport.www.dotars.gov.au/rvcs.
    for customs info www.customs.gov.au
    I know that if you owned the car before 2nd march 1998 then you get depreciation of up to 6 years. ie 76% off. if it is after this you dont get any deprecition. pls let me know how any additional info as i am very keen. And also if you do ship let us know how it goes. I am planning to ship to melbourne. good luck.
    Hiran fernando.

15. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Sure Ferdy

Will share my experience if I really go ahead for this, no matter good or bad!!
    I am approaching the relevant departments for more information. Will keep you guys updated.

Jackie

16. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    It sounds like you won't have to pay all those taxes, I've hears of people moving here from NZ and bringing their cars over, they were allowed to bring one per year. To find more info, look for an aussie website with Jap cars, like evos, skylines, fto's etc, these get imported here from NZ all the time and don't pay the import taxes because the people move are allowed to bring them.
    These "import" cars lovers are quite intelligent and friendly, they would tell you everything about importing a car here.
    Some Aussie mags would have alot of info, they should all have websites, look for HOT4'S, HIGH PERFORMANCE IMPORTS, and FAST FOURS.

Good luck, hope it gets here!

17. hk328

hk328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Jackie

You can pick up the documents from Australian Consulate in Wan Chai. There are varying rules depending upon age of car and purpose for which you intend to ship it to Australia. If its over 15years old by date of first registration then it is a lot easier and also there are no restrictions on resale once landed in Australia. Also over 15years you do not need a compliance plate to Aus Standards.

I'm about to ship my 328 and already have the right to land car in Aus from Aus Department of transport. I take note of some of the others comments regarding quarantine inspection and joy riding. Not sure about joy riding as car should be drained of fuel before loading in HK. If you ship then you need to go there to receive at the docks and control the situation. This is in fact mandatory when a car arrives in HK, you have to be present for the seal on the container to be broken by the customs officer!

Lets meet on next sunday morning drive to discuss