Pierre Bardinon collection | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Pierre Bardinon collection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by F328GTS/GTB, Aug 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Got to make your money some how, I guess;)

2. RallyMaster

RallyMaster Karting

Nov 6, 2015
    I found some nice picture when I was with Pierre Bardinon....

3. RallyMaster

RallyMaster Karting

Nov 6, 2015

Attached Files:

4. RallyMaster

RallyMaster Karting

Nov 6, 2015

Attached Files:

nschots, zaraco, bernardo66 and 2 others like this.
  5. RallyMaster

RallyMaster Karting

Nov 6, 2015
  6. RallyMaster

RallyMaster Karting

Nov 6, 2015
    BaronM69, NürScud, nschots and 6 others like this.
  7. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    That is classic! Could just imagine the conversation... "as we approached the turn, the right hand ducked to the inside of the left hand..." and his wife is thinking..."Yeah, yeah, here we go again." :D
    Thanks for sharing those photos.

NürScud, Christian.Fr and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  9. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Thanks for the wonderful pictures

Christian.Fr likes this.
  10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    But not the prettiest Ferrari ever...

of2worlds likes this.
  11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    And again, this replica body has wrong proportions.

tomgt and Aardy like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #292 Nembo1777, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Do we know if the "Hedge fund" bought just the cars or also the considerable collection of memorabilia, documents, models?

I feel sad that the cars are no longer there as I live about three hours drive east of Le Mas du Clos,St Avit de Tardes and will never forget my two visits there, in April of 1998 with the Tour Auto where we got to visit the collection and I first met Bardinon briefly. Then about 15 minutes after driving away, with the wife and children of a US competitor in his 250LM, I found a Renault 21 upside down on the road with windows broken, it was Benedict Wang, brother of Hong Kong GTO owner Brandon, with 2 English mechanics and an American. I helped them sort things out with the Gendarmes "No he can't come to the Gendarmerie on Monday he will be in Hong Kong in 2 days" (!) and then we drove off to the La Rochelle finish, we were 7 or 8 in the car...and my head was full of the wonders of the private Shangri La we had just visited...
    Then a couple of weeks later I was back on May 1st when as mentioned before Bardinon pulled out 0870 for my Cavallino article shoot.
    A few years later, I believe in 2002 in Louisiana Jim Spiro let me drive his 1962 Le Mans winning one off ex Mas du Clos 330TRI #0808 on a small circuit in bayou country near Napoleonville which was an awesome moment: driving a monument of motorsport history and of course that reminded me of seeing it in the collection.

Often since my family has had a place on a hill with a 150km view here in 1970 I have looked west thinking over there in those hills is Charade and over there a little beyond the horizon is that magic place Le Mans du Clos...now Pierre and his wife have been gone for 3 or 4 years, the circuit's use has been blocked by the French bureaucracy and the cars are gone...it is as if a light went out in the sky....a whole era has ended...
    I broker cars myself since writing does not exactly pay decently so I am not going to blame the hedge fund but I just hope the cars get shown and not buried in some private collection to boost the ego of some plutocrat.

NürScud, BaronM69, Wolfgang and 8 others like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I should not write before I have my coffee: to be clear we were NOT in the 250LM (6051 I test drove for Cavallino prior to that, at Moroso in Florida) but in a station wagon with the wife of its owner, 2 kids and the 4 chaps we plucked from the ditch.

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    flaviaman and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Wasn't it stated on here that all the cars had been sold to a US hedge fund?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That information appears to have been incorrect.
    Apparenty a wrong led.

Marcel Massini

BMW.SauberF1Team and miurasv like this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow...so buying for portfolio diversification and investment. Great. How many other collections are purchased simply for this reason rather than by true auto enthusiasts?

Edit: I see the hedge fund prelim info was incorrect, but my question still stands. Any ideas?

18. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    That all makes perfect sense. Would be easiest to sell (perhaps publicly?) to get an absolute value because otherwise much of the value is abstract, especially cars like #0396AM, 0816, 0860 or 0870. That still only assesses the value of the cars, what about the death taxes, duties, funds already paid out, property and everything else that needs to be assessed. I can see why so many US collectors divest their cars to LLCs to manage in perpetuity rather than allow this process to run its course. Will be fascinating to see this play out and see the outcome.

turbo-joe and Christian.Fr like this.
  19. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Absolutely wrong...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Christian.Fr likes this.