CEL, Sport Mode, traction control, Mirror defrost and seat belt warning lights ON for no reason | FerrariChat

CEL, Sport Mode, traction control, Mirror defrost and seat belt warning lights ON for no reason

Discussion in '360/430' started by davidiaz, Jun 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidiaz

davidiaz Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    Hi there, new to the Ferrari community. I acquired a 2000 360 a few months ago, 21K miles

About a couple months ago, I accidentally left the interior light ON which ended up partially discharging the battery down to 7V, I noticed because the car did not start. I was able to recharge it overnight and car started although with CEL, Sport, Traction, seatbelt lights ON but went off after about 5 minutes. Checked and no fault codes triggered.

Last week although battery has been maintained above 12 and it is not discharging by itself those lights came ON while driving and stayed there for 30 min or so, car drives fine, parked for a few minutes and when turned the car back on they were gone drove ~ 45 min back home no issues. Checked and apparently no codes triggered.

Have not driven the car on the weekdays but today went to drive it and lights are on again. No fault codes again using the Torque App. Has anyone got same lights on? I could not find any related thread, apologies if there is already one, perhaps someone can point me to it. I suspect bad ground somewhere since battery is always ~12-13V
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Additional Info. Car has a few modifications. Fabspeed headers and hi flow cats, CS wheels and grills. Car drives good but soon after I purchased it, I got a CEL with fault code [P1123] (Using Torque app to read it. – system too rich) and from what I have read maybe normal with aftermarket exhaust.

Back then I took the car to a local Ferrari repair shop to read the code using the Leonardo scanner and told a misfire or system too rich and told me that perhaps the car has been parked for a while and suspected gas sitting for long and in conjunction with the high flow cats possibly trigger the CEL. They cleared and told me fill it with new fresh gas and to monitor it. I got same CEL a couple times. I noticed those triggered after I rev the car 5- 6K RPM when cold. Since then I leave the car to warm up for a few minutes and no CELs driven already for more than 1K miles

Regards, David.

2. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Once the battery is drained down, it can cause all kinds of electrical issues with lights, codes, etc.

I recommend bite the bullet and buy a new battery.

Hopefully it will rid those nuicence false codes.

Aftermarket exhausts will throw ghost codes for rich and lean conditions every now and then. Especially if you rev the engine to hear exhaust when engine is not warmed.

davidiaz and flash32 like this.
  3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    What method did you use to "charge" the battery?

Was battery disconnected from the vehicle?

You could have caused a surge voltage from charging that triggered those errors.

Good advice from ALTSIGNGUY to replace the battery.

Then purchase a tender and have a connection installed for quick attach/removal.

flash32 likes this.
  4. davidiaz

davidiaz Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    I use a battery tender trickle charger regularly that has a pigtail connection directly attached to the battery. I have never disconnected the battery until just a few minutes ago as I was just close inspecting the battery and it has good charge. 12.96V but it is 3 years old. It is autocraft gold 96R-3. I am considering replacing but wanted to check and see if someone else has got the same warning lights

Sent from my SM-G930T using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Swap the battery against a NEW ONE and be sure you tied the cables.

I got Mirror LED, CEL, Limb Mode and also F1 Gear Indicator "blinking" becaue of a bad battery.

Regards,
    Joerg

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This ^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #7 338Lapua, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Although I had 2008 F430, I can tell you that a weak battery will cause all sorts of "weird" codes. As others have said, replace the battery and then go through the proper restart procedure. You should be good after that.

davidiaz and flash32 like this.
  8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Trickle charger is fine.

I would get a new battery. 3 years is pushing it for a Ferrari.

If you change the battery yourself be very careful with the metal strip that supports the foot rest. It can short the terminals if not supported by rope/string.

Interstate MTP-91 is a good one but there are others.

davidiaz likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like the issue with your warning lights lighting up like a Christmas tree was caused by the dead battery and the remaining cell is the old issue with a rich exhaust due to aftermarket parts ..ao if looks like unless your battery starts to give you issues again ..like dying in a day or two or after a hot long drive ..you are back to where you were when you bot the car ..right ??

The recommendation to buy another battery is a good one if you sense a failing battery .. it seems that you just let it go too long without charging .. hopefully battery is still good

I would consider do a relearn procedure though since you did lose all power at one point

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. davidiaz

davidiaz Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thanks for the recommendations, will start looking for a replacement battery around my area.

11. davidiaz

davidiaz Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    You are correct, warning lights started after the battery went low and recharged it. I usually measure the voltage before hooking the trickle charger and has always been more than 12V. it hasn't really gave me any issues to start the car after that. I guess could be failing and not providing enough current. I will take to a shop for evaluation and get another one since may be getting old. will do the relearn procedure thanks for the suggestion.

12. davidiaz

davidiaz Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thank you, seems you had similar issues. When inspecting it today the negative post connector wasn't loose but didn't seem to be tight as the positive. I will probably replace the battery for a new one. regards