512TR Hazard Warning Light Switch | FerrariChat

512TR Hazard Warning Light Switch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rjnavion, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    If there is already a thread on this topic, please excuse me, but I/m not good at searching for old threads.

The hazard warning switch on the center console of the 512TR can fail and the hazard lights will stay on all the time. When the spring loaded button is in flush the lights are off. When pushed in and released, it comes out a short distance, the built in indicator light comes on as do the four flashers. Push it in again and a built in catch holds it in the flush position and the lights go out. The failure occurs when the catch fails to hold the button in.

When mine failed I held the button in by hand intermittently until reaching home. My temporary fix was to place a 1/4" steel ball on the button and hold it down with strong aluminum tape. This worked well.

The switch part number is 61917100 and I've read it is the same for the 512TR, 328, and F40. Searching the Internet at various Ferrari parts sources indicated the switch was "unavailable". One site showed the list price to be $789.00. More searching of the Internet indicated the switch supply was nearly exhausted and as one owner termed it, "the price has gotten frightfully outrageous."

Then I stumbled onto an Internet link that stated the switch for a 1971 BMW 2002 was identical except for the symbol on the button, The Ferrari symbol is a triangle and BMW has the word "Hazard" but the buttons easily unscrew and can be swapped. BMW part number is 61311356193 and a Google search will bring up lots of places to purchase if you don't have a BMW dealer nearby. Mine arrived in three days with shipping included for under $70. The factory embossed lettering on both switches was identical and box indicated manufacture was in Poland. It installed fairly easily and works perfectly.

Another alternative is a repair of the old switch. Google in BMW61311356193SteveJenkins and open a link to "How to Fix a Broken Ferrari 328 Hazard Light Switch". At $70 for new, I opted for the new, but at $789 or "unavailable" I would have attempted the repair.

kuwait355 and Shamile like this.
  2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    OMG! This is an amazing find! I have done the same research and found the same horrific prices.

Thanks for this.....as I just happen to desperately need a hazard switch as well.

I've already repaired it once and it won't hold again.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kuwait355 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Is that the same guts as the parking (green button) switch ..mine stays on all the time .. I have a 512 tr

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I can't answer that it is the same internally, but it appears it would be by its operation. This switch in my 512TR has never been operative. The button is out all the time and the indicator light is not lit. Pushing the button does nothing.

I posted the question of "what is this switch" to this forum a number of years ago and never got a definitive answer. The manual says it's a parking light switch. My parking lights are turned on with the lever on the steering column. One place in the manual states that the hazard lights and park lights can be turned on without the ignition switch being on. True for the hazard lights but the park light lever won't operate any lights unless the ignition switch is turned on.

I'm thinking maybe this green switch was to turn the park lights on with ignition switch off and when it failed a former owner unplugged the wiring harness from it. This is just an assumption and if correct the failure would have been early in the life of the car as I've owned it nearly 15 years. It appears to be in a spot that is very hard to access but I will try to reach the back of it next time in the car.

Part number is 149763 and prices I've found vary from $337 to $425. I don't need it operative at that price as the lever switch on the steering column is working fine. I'm certain it does not have the 8 terminal connector on the back like the BMW hazard switch but someone can figure a way around that if necessary.

Ron Judy

:rolleyes:

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Section H of your OM indicates this (needing the key "on" for the headlight stalk to work) is normal for your model (512TR) -- but that is an unusual thing for a car IME. Have you checked the condition of fuse #15 (7.5A)? It's only function is described as "side lights for parking" so if it was blown you wouldn't notice any other fault.

7. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    Thank you, Steve. Your sharing of your vast electrical knowledge of these cars has been invaluable for many years.

Fuse #15 is good. But the terminals at the fuse are dead both with key on and off. So apparently someone has disabled the circuit when the green button switch on the dash failed and could not be turned off.

I cannot reach the back of the switch from under the dash. I've never needed the park lights with the key off in 15 years, so am happy to leave it alone.