OBD Data Collection on the 488 | FerrariChat

OBD Data Collection on the 488

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by wrs, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have the OBDLinkMX for wifi that I used at COTA last week. I set it for 10s/s and indeed it delivered data at that rate but the update rate in the car registers seems to be at the 1s level. Is there any way to change this or any other devices that allow for faster data collection. I would like a decent real time display of RPM, IAT, Boost, Lambda and so on that I can add to my GoPro video and also for purposes of analysis.

I had the Cobb Access Port for my 991tts which sampled 44 times per second and was very helpful. I would like that capability on the Ferrari without paying $10k for the telemetry option. Anyone have any good info for me?

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The telemetry option is integrated but it may be derived from aim equipment (since the Ferrari datarace is just rebranded aim gear): http://www.aim-sportline.com/

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the pointer, I looked into it but they only have the 458 right now. The sales guy said they had the 488 GT3 and he would look into if that will work for the regular 488. I think I could even use the 458 option but I wouldn't get the data on MAF, MAP and any turbo specific info that I would like to have. For example, I want to know what the boost is just like the IAT and so on. Anyway, I am checking into this as a possibility.

4. Alamo Gear Head

Alamo Gear Head Karting

Sep 28, 2015
    The AIM Solo 2 DL will not work with the standard OBD plug in a 488. Tried multiple configuration but each time it would put the vehicle into a limp mode and electrical faults. I too called AIM about compatibility and they were not certain about the standard 488 the tech and sales reps also assumed the 488 GT3 protocol was similar to the standard 488. I was going to reach out to them again in hopes of finding a way to integrate the unit. If I find out I will post again.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for a real report from the field. I hope they go ahead and develop a specific product for the 488 then because I really do want the better data sampling rate. Once per second is not useful.

6. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Would there be any update from AIM regarding getting data/video on a 488?

SECRET likes this.
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Checking in on this again as well

8. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Don't know if anything has changed form the 2018 posts, or if it's because I'm using the older SoloDL on an F8., but for what it's worth, I just tested my AIM Solo DL (not the newer 2) with my 2021 F8, connected via the OBD2 cable, and it works fine. Am running the last firmware update for the SoloDL from 2017, and the standard Ferrari 458 configuration. Worked fine without any issues, granted I was only driving around the neighborhood/freeway, not at track speeds. Was getting good data on all the various channels.

Seems like the standard 458 configuration is what should be used for all the recent production models.
    https://www.aim-sportline.com/us/documentation-stock-ecu-connections.htm#ferrari

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Good info! I had some strange behavior on my Pista, and I decided against risking any issues. On my Speciale, I had an issue with an amateur camera/datalogger back in 2016 called Waylens. I was at Monterey Car Week climbing up a small incline when the car's computer suddenly acted up. I got the standard set of errors you get when your car's battery voltage is super low (which shouldn't really happen when you're driving even if you had a bad battery). EPB, AVH, E-Diff, etc were all spitting errors. The car shifted up to 7th and limped. I could barely make it up the incline and almost rolled back into a Pagani. I had to pull over and sit on the side of the road because the dealer at the time said to lock the car and let it go into sleep then try to fire it backup. Took about 30m to figure out that it was the OBDII reader on that camera system ended up being the culprit. Either it was really really bad firmware on it or a faulty component that cause erratic power draw from the port. Once it was out, the car was back to normal (mostly, since I didn't have a OBD II scanner to clear the codes).

Dealer took a look and verified no issues with the alternator or the battery (was nearly new at the time).

I know AIM is a much bigger entity, but when I had some issues getting data on the Pista, I decided against pushing my luck. I ended up using the Garmin Catalyst.