Registering a car as Historic in MD | FerrariChat

Registering a car as Historic in MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Devilsolsi, May 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Anyone registered a car as historic in MD? I am planning to call the MVA tomorrow to hopefully get clarification on a few things, but though I would post here as well.

My car is a MY1999, but was manufactured on 1/98. Does anyone know which date they are using to determine if the car is 20 years old? If manufacture date, I am good to register as historic.

Is it true that historic vehicles do not require MD safety inspection and Emissions in order to register them?

Any info or experience is appreciated.

-Alex

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I think they use the year on your title. If so you must wait till 2019 for the required 20 years. Mine is a 1985 so no problem. If you go to a tag and title service and usually pay 25 dollars extra you will enjoy the lack of lines. They can do the same thing as the MVA. Very inexpensive insurance is also a plus. No inspection or . No emissions or inspection. That's why you see all the rusted out pick ups with wooden beds. I fear one day guys like this will ruin it for all of us.

3. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Just fyi... get used to saying "I'm going to a show", "im coming from a show"... technically under the new historic guidelines you cant drive it for anything other than shows.

"A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses."

So get used to saying "on my way to a show" if you drive it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I should think, "occasional transportation and similar uses" would cover a LOT of territory.

Out for a Saturday drive? using a car one day out of seven, for a weekend cruise, would certainly strike me as, "Occasional transportation" if the other six days of the week I'm putting 60-100 miles on my regular car, and on a Saturday I put 30 on my "occasional use" vehicle, I'd think I'm well within the law.

I would quote this part of the regulation, "They will not be used for employment, transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes. " which a weekend drive certainly is not.

D

lashss likes this.
  5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    In Virginia, I believe another acceptable reason is "for testing purposes."

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Verified with the MVA that it is based off of model year. :(

7. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep. But the good thing is next year no more tests. If you can put off your emissions test for another month or so. Then go for the emissions test and ask for an extension. They'll give you 6 months usually. That's what they did for me so i could "pass".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lashss and Devilsolsi like this.
  8. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I've never heard any stories about the cops giving someone a hard time for driving on classic car tags.
    Always a first time of course, probably me tomorrow.

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I think if you have a presentable vehicle you will not see any trouble. My understanding they are going after those that put historic tags on shall I say not very presentable vehicles. Also the ones who put these on a 1985 Ford one ton dump and deliver firewood. Occasional transportation is the key.

10. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I cannot believe Maryland doesn't crack down on the number of "dailies" with antique plates. So many commuters, all they have to do is go to a metro lot.

Anyways, not my fight, but if it hurts the legit, than it's not right. 2c.

11. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    20 yrs old from the title. No emissions and very inexpensive taxes and reg fees as others have mentioned above.

Insurance goes down also and many specialty carriers now offer policies that cover classics and daily drivers together.

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    You want the govt to crack down on historic vehicle registrations?

I cannot believe any car enthusiast would wonder this...

tomberlin likes this.
  13. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I am not, but...
    The annoyance is the fact they are not supposed to be driven every day, yet you see them in commuter/airport lots, etc. How's that fair to those who "follow" the laws?

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Years ago, I got two consecutive extensions and the supervisor ended up waiving it.

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Maybe some questions are best left unanswered?

16. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    The piece of legislation that I am interested in is the elimination of the requirement for a front tag in MD. Apparently this passed one house of the General Assembly but failed in the other. I have never been stopped for this, but it's one thing I'd love to get to stop worrying about...

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Hi Aaron!

Amen, brother. I have not been as lucky as you - having paid the front plate tax a few times over the years...

AaronMeisner likes this.
  18. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No safety inspection when registering car. If it's already registered as non-historic, makes no difference when switching to historic, since in MD you only do safety inspection once during your ownership.

No emissions inspection.

Registration is $52/2yr historic, vs ~$130/2yr non-historic

My insurance company doesn't care if car is historic or not for rates. They just care about mileage and use. My commuter car is registered as historic. Insurance company is fine with this. MD would not be, but there is no disclosure to them.

I have been pulled over a few times for no front tag on historic cars. No officer has ever asked about where I am going or why I am driving a historic car. They do care about front tag though. Usually just let me go. Once I paid $60 fine. There are no points added to licence, so I don't care about the fee once every 5 years.

I haaaate the safety and emissions inspections. Not because I drive POS cars, but because it invites such abuse from the service station for unnecessary service to "pass" the inspection. And I've had two cars damaged at the emissions test. One time on the old roller test, and more recently, when they drove the car forward without disconnecting the fuel tank checking device.

lashss likes this.
  19. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I have to agree with ALL your points!!!

several coworkers have gotten letters from MD that historic cars should not be driven during working hours or something like that. I have NOT received a letter.

I have also gotten a ticket with fine for not having a license plate.

Inspections are nothing more than a fishing expedition! My latest one the guy said I needed new brake rotors and pads, ball joints, etc. He refused to pass the car and refused to charge me for the inspection... I found another inspector!

lashss likes this.
  20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I saw my first guilty finding for a court case for historic on a daily driver. single car owner. beat up junker.
    I have never seen it happen to an exotic.
    I haven't been stopped for not having a front plate on the Ferrari with the historic rear tag <knocks on wood>

"occasional use" is good language as most officers will cite the rest and conveniently leave out that piece. Note, if it's an historic truck over 10,000 pounds that language is missing... much more restrictive driving allowances.

Never seen a letter about "work hours" but I'm self employed so there's no such thing anyway.
    I own my office building and taking the vehicle to and from my own properties is legit. (but again, never been stopped, even in rush hour traffic).

lashss likes this.
  21. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I have 3 cars with Historic tags. I got a letter a year or so ago stating that the regulations for Historic usage had changed. Basically it was just a change in the wording of this statement to include the bit about transportation to and from work/school:

I/We further certify this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways, for employment, for transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.

I still occasionally take one to work but not too often. Mainly to avoid the hassle I get from people about "all my cars". Happy to just enjoy the nice back roads on a nice weekend morning...

lashss likes this.
  22. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Great point. I do not think officer friendly wants to stop any exotic because you are driving around. I think what they intend and rightfully so is to eliminate the folks that take a rusted out 1979 Ford P-U and put a wooden bed on it so they can deliver fire wood. Since there is no initial safety inspection required sooner or later someone will take advantage of that and cause a collision from faulty equipment. I want to keep my Historic tags!

lashss likes this.