Oil choice | FerrariChat

Oil choice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fanboy01, Jul 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi all! Im currently using the OEM oil and my friend suggests me to change to Motul 300V. He said this oil can protect engine better and will give more HP to the car, but need to change for every 3000-5000KM. Any suggestion please?

2. Migas

Migas Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2013
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    My advice is to not use other oil engine than OEM.
    A wrong oil can be very harmful to crankshaft bearings.
    You should trust on Ferrari engineers. ;)

MalibuGuy and docf like this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    While you as the owner of the car may use whichever oily slippery fluid you would like, I would suggest sticking with Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40.

IF it were found that there was an oil failure and non-oem oil was being used, then that could open yourself to repairs that would normally be covered.

Might...

And I am a fan of motul...

S

docf likes this.
  4. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Completely agree. As a Mechanical Engineer, I have seen the other side of why specifications go into owners manuals. Immense engineering analysis and test results produce the carefully crafted recommendations.

I ordered a couple of cases of the Pennzoil (owned by Shell) Ultra Euro Spec oil recommended by Ferrari for U.S.A cars.

Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic Motor Oil - Pennzoil

5. JohnAnthony

JohnAnthony Rookie

Nov 2, 2008
    Astoria, NY
    Full Name:
    John Anthony
    @ fanboy01
    which 300V is your friend suggesting?
    because MOTUL has 300V in the following weights:
    0W15
    0W20
    5W30
    0W40
    5W40
    10W50
    15W50
    20W60

-I'm guessing he suggested either the 0W40 or 5W40 which are fine since they're 40 weight, but these are racing oils not street oil and because of the low detergent content of the oil your friend is suggesting 3000-5000km OCI

theoretically this is sound, since you'd change the oil before it fails to neutralize combustion acids

IMO, i would switch to a 0W40 M1, Castrol, Liqui Moly for street use and the 300V if i track the car

@Migas
    unless you've got a quote from a ferrari engineer, trust me not one of them lost any sleep trying to figure out what the "right" or "wrong" oil for the 458 was

as for the bearings the 0W40 > 5w40 on each cold start

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    +1. Don't fool around. The warranty you save may be your own.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Racing Oil has very little of the additive package that protects the engine while it is sitting in the garage, and more of the additives that protect the engine when you are running the snot out of it.

Depending on whether the car seens more hours on the road, or hours in the garage will determine if racing oil is appropriate for the job at hand.

8. JohnAnthony

JohnAnthony Rookie

Nov 2, 2008
    Astoria, NY
    Full Name:
    John Anthony
    tried finding what the recommended OCI are for a race oil and i'll have to take back the comment about sound logic

M1 Recommends their Race Oil will allow for OCI of 500+ miles & for such a short interval 3000km/1800miles is too long

Racing Oils | Frequently Asked Questions

9. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Agree. Agree. Stick with the Ferrari recommended oil replacement. Not worth taking any chances with anything else.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    OEM only! No stupid additives! It is really simple.

Rick

11. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    Stick with Shell, not even an option and check the levels from time to time, engine running and after a good run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks all! I will stick with the OEM oil. Cant risk any damage to the engine and loss the warranty!

13. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    Actually i only drive the car on weekends. It seems OEM oil is more suitable for me :D

14. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    I think OEM fluid works well for your use and is probably better for you as others have said.

However, Motul 300v is a very good oil. It is an excellent choice. If you track or even street drive aggressively and you change the oil yearly, Motul 300v won't cause any issues. While additives are important, engine is protected by oil and not additives. Additives keep oil stable over time and clean engine.

When it comes to oil, the weight of the oil is more important than anything else. While brands do make a difference, the viscosity far outweighs anything else.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The difference between the 0-40 and 5-40 is the viscosity of the oil at lower temperatures.

A 0 oil flows a little better than a 5 at lower temperature, such as at start up.

The 0 oil is a relatively new technology.

I would pick a 0-40 over the 5-40 for this reason.

docf likes this.
  16. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    As an old oil man, I can tell you that the 0-40 will have more additives as a fraction of the total mix, and therefore less actual lube per quart. This enables the mix to achieve the slightly high viscosity index present in a 0-40. So yes, the oil will flow better at low temps. But if you live in a climate that does not have low temps (0 deg C) you are actually slightly better off in going to a 5-40 or even a 10-40. Ferrari recommends 5-40 as an all around mix that will work well in all climates, but you can adjust the lower number depending on your local climate.

docf likes this.
  17. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    10w-60 racing oil from nulon or castrol will be the best choice I guess

Sent from my SM-N9500 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well, this is certainly a contested area so lets get into it a bit. Keep in mind that the OP has not posted the model or year of the vehicle and I do not know what the OEM stated as the required lubricant when the engine was designed (does a 2010 458 use the same oil as a 2017 488?). I can, however, say that my F12 has multiple explicit labels indicating Shell 10W-60. And I can also state that the dealer puts in Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40. So, not going too far into the base Pennzoil product (versus older Shell) being produced from natural gas instead of crude, there is a world of difference between 5W-40 and 10W-60 at any temperature. Ferrari is THE master engine designer/builder IMO and if they are recommending such a difference in viscosity (and base) some time after the actual design of the engine, then I don't believe there can be an argument made that justifies the fear of not using the correct oil since they don't do it either.

No offense to my Mechanical Engineering and similar disciplined experts but this is a chemical engineering (petro-chemical/petroleum engineering) area of study and there is more written about this issue of swapping oils than nearly anything else (besides fuel) with respect to engines of all kinds. Especially in racing. I think you will find, as I did, that the consensus is most modern oils have similar or identical bases and its the additive package and viscosity that makes the difference. You can read tons of papers and pour through volumes of oil testing results and find that if you buy high rated oil of the same base and viscosity you will not be at risk of failure. This is especially true when a Ferrari usually accumulates irreverent mileage and under the 7-year plan has to religiously make the trip back to the dealer for the annual oil change. However, the fear always remains about the OEM denying repairs due to incorrect oil usage. My lesson learned in racing environments is changing the oil frequently is much more important than the brand used. That said, I still (rather unbelievably) stick to the dealership using whatever they use. And prior to this car have never let anyone work on any car I've owned since the 70s.

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I tend to believe that the factory recommendations and Shell.

Shell has a team of scientists who conduct analysis and development.

20. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    One additional comment: once you pick an oil, stay with it. The additive packages in the oil can vary and this can cause different swelling of the elastomers (O-rings and seals).

The Pennzoil btw has the horsey on the label :)

21. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all, what's happening with Pennzoil? They took the horsey off the label on the Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 oil 2020 bottles. Also, they do not mention Ferrari spec'd at all. They still mention the oil is up to BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Porsche and Audi specs.

22. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok everyone, now I'm blown away; I just got off the phone with Pennzoil; They are telling me that the previous Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 is no longer recommended by Ferrari North America; They have a new oil for that. It's called Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5W-40. This is the stuff now recommended by Ferrari North America. I sure can't seem to find it anywhere to purchase either.

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Perhaps they changed the spec because of the turbos in 488s and F8s.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Perhaps, The Pennzoil item number for the recommended Racing Oil is 550051259. I was able to find it in the Houston area from a Pennzoil distributor; They are having to order it for me.

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Racing oils do not have the protection additive packages for street use. Racing’s oils are designed for high temp, high rpm during a race and then changed. Street oils are designed for how cars are used on the street and offer better engine and bearings protection for this use.
    There are many tests and white papers on this. Oil companies such as Gibbs Racing, Mobil and Motul have articles on this subject.