Need help with a speeding ticket! | FerrariChat

Need help with a speeding ticket!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jm348, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Anyone know a good Attorney? 1st ticket in 10 Years. 111 mph speeding. Officer wrote estimated though. Not sure if that helps? Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks boys!

Bertil likes this.
  2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Where are you located, where did it take place and which courthouse is it?

3. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    I'm in Redondo Beach. Ticket was on the 10E 10 minutes from LaQuinta. Not sure of court house. Wife took car with ticket in it.

4. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Court is in Indio

5. jcor360

jcor360 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Del Mar Ca
    Full Name:
    John C
    Use my go to attorney from San Diego Elizabeth Aronson 760-942-2828
    She is a rockstar with regards to traffic tickets. I have used her along with many of my pals and she has gotten every single ticket dismissed. Referred her to another f-chat member in your town and she got his tickets dismissed as well.
    Crazy cheap as well. Used to charge $90 per ticket. I think she $50 now. Don't laugh it's correct. Let me know how it works out. John

Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  6. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Awesome! Thanks John. I will call her on Monday and I will let you know how everything works out.

7. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Wow next time I get a ticket I am going to contact her as well. Thanks for sharing!

8. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Sorry to hear you about your ticket. 10 E is loaded with CHP. I use WAZE almost every time I am driving, it flags all the police locations and warns you ahead of time. It is very effective. Try it and you will like it.

Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  9. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Beware that Waze keeps track of everywhere you go.

10. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    It's ironic that after 3 Ferraris and countless motorcycles I get 111 mph ticket in my wifes Pathfinder. I was laughing but she didn't find it amusing.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Daniel Baldwin kills all tickets, everywhere! I've been referring him for years. :)

661-257-8335

12. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Update: The 1st lawyer recommended can take the case for $350 with 2 possible outcomes, dismissal (Cop doesn't show) or full consequence ( 2pts, poss 30 day suspension, higher insurance) She said with 100+mph negotiating down isn't possible. 2 Other firms both said negotiating is still possible (no pts, traffic school and reduced fine) They are $600 and $750. The question is are the other firms bullshitting to take my $$ or is negotiating and a plea down possible with 100+ mph speed? Help!!

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A few thoughts...

The first outcome (cop doesn’t show up versus full consequence) doesn’t really require an attorney, does it?

That also sounds like the most honest outcome. So, yes the other attorneys are, in my opinion, BSing you to get your money

But you also got nabbed at a very excessive speed. You should face the consequences.

However, one way to get the charge reduced is to ask the judge or magistrate to amend the charges from “speeding” to “failure to comply”. Ideally, you should have asked this of the police at the time. But it would result in a fine far less than what the attorneys want to charge, and no points.

It works here in the east, I don’t know about California.

Matt

14. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    I am going to try Daniel today and get his thoughts........

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

One time i got caught at 120 in a camry rental! Cop was super cool, it was night, i apologized and he put 90+ on ticket...
    That being said its America u can get out of it with a good lawyer; oj got out of murder;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustman and jm348 like this.
  16. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Fingers crossed!!

17. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Thanks for the updates. Please keep us updated on what happens. Not sure if I believe the other firms though unless there was someway to talk to other similar clients for feedback which usually isn't the case. Another possibility is to do trial by declaration. You have the ability if there was any sort of way you can paint a picture that there was no way you were going over 100mph and that you would plead to a lessor speed say 85mph. Then the consequences for that are a lot less which means you could probably do traffic court and get it off your driving record. That would probably be the option I would chose. The other options do not sound very good because I am pretty sure the officer is going to show for this case.

I have done trial by declaration with excellent results. Sometimes the officer doesn't submit their declaration and the case is dismissed.

18. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    I hired Elizabeth Aronson today. After watching the news of the school shooting in FL earlier I didn't want to give any more thought to this mess I got myself in. She was blunt and honest and said a dismissal is a possibilty but pleading it down is very difficult at 111 mph and traffic school would be off the table. However, she said negotiating the fine, points and 30 day suspension is possible. My ticket only says speeding and the officer checked infraction. Other Lawyers I called said they can add reckless driving, endangerment and I risk my Nusring license. She said this isn't true and is a scare tactic Lawyers use and they were all double her price as well. Amazing what you learn. Maybe I will get lucky, if not it's an expensive lesson but not the end of the world. I will post the outcome although it could take months. Thanks everyone for their recommendations and input.

19. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I certainly would not do this. First off, a declaration is under oath and penalty of perjury. So if you say you were not going over 100, you are LYING and committing perjury, which is a bigger crime than the speeding ticket you are trying to avoid. Makes absolutely no sense!

Second, the cop is much more likely to fill out a declaration at his leisure than show up at court at a specific date and time that could interfere with other events in his/her life.

20. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    We do not know the circumstances surrounding this case. Neither did I ever give any advice to lie under any oath. We do not know if he was factually going over 100mph. Officer wrote estimated speed according to the OP hence why I said if there was a way to prove or paint the picture he wasn't going over that speed then that would be a better option for him.

Furthermore, officers who go into court often times get over time. So they are more inclined to go into court rather than write a declaration at least this has been my experience. Since OP already retained legal counsel then lets hope for the best.

21. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Feel lucky ;)
    In Oregon over 100 mph, automatic arrest for reckless driving and you go to jail in cuffs.
    Your car also gets towed and impounded.

Testarossa Sean and jm348 like this.
  22. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Officer could have done the same here as well. But it is up to their discretion.

23. tapatio

tapatio Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Wow, Elizabeth's pricing is great. She's definitely undercutting Mr. Ticket, her main competitor. FYI, here's a great site to ask legal questions and read what others are discussing: https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/

jm348 likes this.
  24. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Update.......the lawyer appeared twice on my behalf but unfortunately the officer appeared and they were not able to get it dismissed. I paid a $1035 fine. All done, price you pay to play.

25. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I found out the hard way, that even if the officer does not reply to a declaration, the ticket counts as evidence against you and the officer is considered an expert witness. If it's he said, he/she said, you lose by default. In my case the court wrote me a letter back with a latin phrase explaining it, and a fine. Stupid thing was, it was for a failure to yield (which I didn't.) The cop heard my Aston Martin and did a U turn following me, hoping I would break a law.