599 Paddle Shifters made of CF? | FerrariChat

599 Paddle Shifters made of CF?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Does any one know or have had experience with replacing their 599's paddle shifters from the original Aluminum Alloy to the Carbon Fiber variety? What does/did the parts and the labor cost? Was there a previous post on this same question I may be referred to?

I'm thinking about replacing mine which has a small indentation or shallow notch on the left or downshift paddle. I believe the CF variety also doesn't heat up as much as the original Al Aly paddles when briefly exposed to the hot sunlight.

Thanks to all respondents.

Forza Ferrari! Great win at Canada yesterday. Finally, a fast, reliable car for Vettel.

2. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I can tell you for the 612 which i think is exactly the same for the 599
    Really easy job, I would say maximum 1/2 hour.
    Airbarg needs to be taken out with a minimum of caution (battery ground disconnected...) , you also have to watch out for connectors
    Steering wheel needs to come off
    Then each paddle is attached with 2 hex screws.
    I you are not equipped or uncomfortable doing it, let it be fitted by a pro
    CF Paddles are pricey so its not the 1/2 work that will cost you

I tried back to back the CF and Alu paddles but in the end prefer the aluminum in my 612. The touch is much heavier, colder, where as the CF is warm and light

3. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I did it too and that is exactly the process. On the 550 you can do it by simply rotating the steering wheel but not on the 599. I would say it takes 30' if you know exactly what to do and have the right tools. Also you need to torque the steering wheel correctly once you assemble it back (I do not remember the exact torque level but any Ferrari shop should be able to tell you) and Ferrari recommends to change screws and bolts with new. Not sure why but may have to do with security protocol (especially in the US). Also removing the airbag connector was a little difficult but eventually they came out nicely ... also recommended to switch the battery off before touching the airbag as recommended above ... in terms of CF paddle choices you can go the Ferrari way - quite expansive and not as long as some after market. Macarbon sells an alternative product and so does Carbonio and probably others ...

4. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks gents. Any idea on costs of OEM vs aftermarket CF paddles?

5. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I think after market probably between $800 and $1000 OEM probably $1500 but not sure. Best way is to go and check on websites...

6. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    In North America the OEM paddles are north of $3K from Ferrari and Carbonio Extended carbon fiber paddles are $890. Here is the full product page for more information:

https://carbonio.com/collections/ferrari/products/ferrari-599-challenge-shift-paddles

The extended paddles are a HUGE improvement over stock and allows for much more mobility when shifting. It is not a track only improvement as the greatest gains are seen in day to day driving especially in traffic at low to medium speeds.

The steering wheel does NOT need to come out to install these paddles and we include comprehensive instructions and the tools to do the job. If you are handy it can be done in your driveway and if you prefer a professional to do it then 30 minutes should be all the time in the world for the install.

Dave rocks likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carbonio- You should post those 599 instructions here because it sounds like some owners have been pulling the steering wheel to install.

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Photographic install instructions are available at the product page of each of our products on our website. Paddle installation on a 599 can be a little fiddly so taking the steering wheel off is the super easy way to get total unobstructed access to the screws. That said the procedure we have created in our instructions will allow for the installation of the paddles with the steering wheel in place. It is a little more time consuming but does not require disconnecting the battery and taking the wheel out.

9. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Very easy to verify, if you have a 599 go in your car, start the car, turn the steering wheel to the max. If you cannot access the upper screw you have your answer. I will definitely check again and take a picture this time ...

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I can highly recommend the Carbonio paddles. Have an extended set on my 575M and would be hard pressed to drive her without them after several years of use. Beautiful workmanship on my set.

11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Went to F-South Bay two days ago for a visit and spoke to their Service Manager and the super friendly tech assigned to my car. They're willing to install the CF paddles on my 599 even if its from an aftermarket maker. Being Ferrari, it's a matter of extra cost due to overhead and massive profits but I'll be at least assured of quality installation using proper techniques/tools.

I'm at a point in my life wherein I'd rather have experts perform maintenance, repairs, and upgrades on my cars. Used to do that stuff myself back in the 70's, 80's, but today's cars have so many electrical stuff on them that it's not worth my time or extra cost to redo if I screwed something up. I once owned a rare '79 TransAm 4-speed TA/6.6 and a '79 280 ZX (before cats) which had engines that were such a breeze to work on.

12. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I had the carbon fibre extended paddle shifters installed this week, no need to remove the steering wheel. They are a big improvement and also compliment the steering wheel much better if you have the carbon fibre steering wheel.

Makuono likes this.
  13. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier