Need help with a speeding ticket! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help with a speeding ticket!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jm348, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Expensive lesson for my stupidity.......would of felt better if it was the Ferrari and not the wifes Pathfinder.

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Jeff:

Sorry you were not able to do better on the ticket. I recently came out on the good side of a trial by declaration. Last year I was on an FCA Drive up to Vadenberg AFB as part of a group drive of about 40 cars. I happened to be in the front of the group and going with the flow of traffic. The CHP officer passed behind two other cars going faster than me (An SUV and a Prius) to specifically pull only me over. At the side of the road, he wrote me a ticket for going 79 in a 65 zone. My passenger asked him why he pulled me over when clearly there were several other cars right next to us that were going noticeably faster. His comment to her "We knew you were coming and we were waiting for you". I'm sure he had a big day back at the station by giving a Ferrari a ticket.

I used this as the basis for my case. Clearly by his statement, he was discriminatory in his application of the law by singling me out for the car that I was driving and not for what was happening on the road. In my statement to the court, I never stated what speed I was going, only that I was with the flow of traffic (which is not a defense) with some cars passing me. I asserted that the CHP officer was discriminatory in his application of the law. I had a statement from my witness as to what the officer said regarding "waiting for us" and to the fact that other non-Ferraris were speeding by us and I let the court know that I have a front facing camera in my car with a voice recorder.

Surprisingly, even with statements from the officer and his partner, who was no where in the vicinity of the scene, the court ruled in my favor and dismissed the ticket and returned the fee to me.

3. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Wow! A happy ending.......the Cop ruined his own case. In hindsight I was lucky to not get arrested, car impounded, reckless driving and child endangerment. Then I would of also had issues with the board and my professional license. They could of threw the book at me for 111 mph. In that respect the $1035 fine is no biggie!

4. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    The same applies if you chose to go to court. According to some LEOs I know, they say it is better for them to go to court because they get paid overtime whereas writing a declaration often times they do not get overtime. You have to roll the dice they do not show. Did you annotate that the officer was following you which is essentially targeting you?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No, in my case I contested the failure to yield only. I took pictures of the intersection, noted the position of the pedestrians, when I crossed, the cop's position, the lights, other cars, etc. I saw him turn his head after I passed him because of the engine noise (and driving an Aston in Panorama City) and I knew what was coming. I called him out on it when he wrote me the ticket, you can guess how that went over.

6. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    And they still sided with the LEO? That is just sad and it is exactly how the law enforcement system takes advantage of its citizens. It is just another way to tax its citizens. Stories like this really irritate me cause so many people have been falsely accused of a crime they have not committed. I bet that discussion went over really well lol. I bet his badge complex kicked in full force lol!

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    well, I started out by saying "you know this is a b__l s___t ticket, right?"

jm348 likes this.