550 purchase questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 purchase questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by WHSclub, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

What options did you end up with on yours?

NE550 likes this.
  2. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You're very welcome!

List of options:
    -Exterior: Nero Daytona metallizzato paint
    -Interior: cuoio upper & lower dash, steering wheel, pillars, quilted headliner, black carpets, black diamond stitched leather rear shelf liner
    -Cuoio Daytona-style seats w/ black inserts
    -Red brake calipers
    -Partial carbon trim (gauge bezels)

The car was ordered w/out Scuderia fender shields

Also, the car had Tubi rear mufflers installed since at least 2002 (based on the car's documented history that I have).

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    Wow, sounds like a great one! Have you posted any pictures? I’d love to see it.

4. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    I have a question for all of you seasoned Ferrari guys.

I’ve been looking for a 550 for a while now. It definitely seems like a buyers market with the majority of 550s sitting for quite a while before selling. I’ve been keeping my eye on a few - some have low miles, some have more options. No matter, the all are available for quite a while.

Well, this one came up for sale and ended up selling in about 3 days. What am I missing here?

It’s not super low miles. It has a few options but nothing super rare. Etc.

Why did this one sell so quickly and all of the others take a long time to sell?

https://www.mbhuntington.com/used/ZFFZS49AX10123568.htm?utm_source=cargurus.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Bc someone who wanted one took it. There is no rational reason for buying a 20 year old car worth that much. I looked for about 3-4 months and all the red/tan cars I wanted were either too expensive or not near me, when one popped up near me for a price I felt was good,I closed the deal within 2 days,

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Last year produced, very low mileage, Rosso Corsa with Beige, "rare 6 speed manual". What is not to like?

RKZ841 and F50gta like this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't see anything special - just a case of right place, right time, I would suggest.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    With all due respect you say "its not super low miles." If they were any lower it would be under glass. A 17 year old car with only 17K miles on it. What's the point of having such a beautiful machine? I guess the answer is simply bragging rights. I'm really starting to wonder if the representation of all these low mileage cars is actually accurate. I suspect some of them have their odometers turned back. Remember, cars are like people. They dry out if you don't use them.

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It's a tad frustrating people want all these low mile cars, as someone who collects art, the $104,000 I paid for my 575 it would be fairly cheap for what it is as a sculpture. I have a much smaller sculpture I paid alot more for in my living room, these cars need to be driven, if not theyll face serious issues.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Thanks for that perspective. I may just keep my Ducati for that very reason. I’ll tell the wife; “but honey, it’s ART....”

11. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    With all do respect? I’m sorry, was there something I said that was offensive?

17k miles is not super low miles when compared to some other 550s currently for sale.

While it didn’t have much to do with my question, you’re point is well taken and I don’t disagree.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Nothing offensive at all. You’re right about that particular car in comparison to a lot of the other low mileage cars out there. Just think the importance of low mileage gets blown way out of proportion, not by you, but by many so-called enthusiasts. Sorry I went off on a tangent but mileage IMO has been manipulated on these cars and that’s why I’m very suspicious about stated mileage. Don’t mind me. I was just venting:)

13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Are you looking for a museum piece or a car? If you're gonna drive yours at all then I'd say 17,000 miles is fine. I mean how many cars from the year 2001 have 17,000 miles on them still? There's a 365 for sale on here in the classifieds with 80,000+ miles, still low for a 40 year old car imo. If you buy a garage queen, expect services to not be done and have a mess on your hands. I personally would never want a 20 year old car with 2000 miles or something, shows the owner probably didn't care about it. Honestly not sure why people do it, these cars are not investments initially, there is a 2004 murcielago on ebay, here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Murcielago-2dr-Coupe/302749947112?hash=item467d4d94e8:g:74AAAOSwt5VbCG3d&vxp=mtr

it has 300 miles in the last 15 years, the asking is $219k. I believe back then the car $300k or so with taxes, so even though he didn't drive the car he still lost minimum $80k before dealer fees,etc. When you factor in the time value of money he lost way way way more, and for what? A piece of art in your garage? My art doesn't go down, I have Damien Hirst, I have Andy Warhol, Keith Haring they've all appreciated quite alot thats what investments do, that murcielago has depreciated while collecting dust, thats just ridiculous, he could have enjoyed it.

14. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    No prob at all! I’m with you, 17k is low for a 20 yr old car. I was just wondering what I was missing on the quick sale of the 550 in question.

15. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018

I’m looking for the right car. I was just trying to understand what I was missing in regards to the quick sale of the 550 in question. From my novice eye and comparing it to the benchmarks of low miles or rare options - I didn’t understand what I was missing.

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I think you're overthinking things, its a car, if any wants one they want to see it in person and if a car pops up near you it gets scooped up fast, my 575 was bought in 1 day. I wanted a low mile red/tan one miles wasn't important bc i was going to drive mine, I budgeted $120-130k. I never got a red one near me, then one day i look and boom there's one asking just $105k well below what I had figured on spending and its 3 hours away, I call the dealer we negotiate a price, I drive down put a downpayment do a PPI and once it worked out I bought it, within 48 hours it was all wrapped up. Most guys looking for a classic car thats 20 years old know exactly what they want, if it appears near them i imagine it gets scooped up with quickness. Right now Im looking for a verde murcielago roadster, have been for some time, if one pops up near miami im all over it.

17. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think it’s just a matter of the right serious buyer spotting a desirable car at the right time. When that buyer is truly ready he’s going to close the deal.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
  20. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
  21. RKZ841

RKZ841 Karting

Apr 22, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas E
    Haha, I did exactly the same and was lucky. It was a very well maintained car in great condition and with FHP!

22. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I was watching the market for a bottom. Hoping for $50K, but good cars never made it that low. When the market turned upwards north of that number was when I decided that it was time to buy. And it had to be blue. Found mine with many of the usual service/upgrades already done and spent months negotiating with the seller before clinching the deal...

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Buy the car you fall in love with, and regardless of its service history, have about $25K on hand to make it perfect. My 456M (Same platform) cost $18K in the first six months, but then it was reliable enough to take on long trips.

24. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    I’ve been talking with a lot of sellers on my quest to find the perfect 550. Based on my discussions it seems like the majority of cars have had some kind of paint work done. Mainly bumpers and hoods due to rock chips. Is this normal or pretty out of the ordinary?

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Perfectly normal. The factory paint is kind of fragile and rock chips on the bumpers happen to all of us. Mine both need repainting right now.