From The Archives: We Test Ferrari's All-New 348, R&T Sept 1990 | FerrariChat

From The Archives: We Test Ferrari's All-New 348, R&T Sept 1990

Discussion in '348/355' started by itsablurr, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've collected quite a stack of articles/reviews over the years, and with the 348 approaching it's 30th year, figured that I would start to upload and share from my collection, as an interesting look back from pre-production reports and spy shots, to initial reception and reviews, and ongoing through the years.

This one is from the Sept 1990 Road & Track, "We Test Ferrari's All-New 348"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Berning, QSA, Hammonds rider and 6 others like this.
  2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Interesting how the test notes directly contradict what has become standard criticism, some of which has been espoused by R&T. The 328 guys aren’t happy with that review, I’m sure :)

Pangea and Jasonberkeley like this.
  3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Woah - middle column, last page!! "...the 348 responds like the thoroughbred sports car it is...a sliding tail, catchable...by all but the most insensitive drivers."

Hmmmmmmmm...

///Mike likes this.
  4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    As I've said repeatedly, it's clear that C&D got ahold of a poorly set up car because most of the press at the time was quite favorable. Funny how people keep repeating the negative stuff when they have zero experience with the cars and when there were plenty of positive reviews on the car.

I actually have that issue and have been meaning to scan & post it. Thanks for doing what I keep forgetting to do, Matt. Keep 'em coming.

steved033 and Chupacabra like this.
  5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Thanks for posting and yes, keep them coming. I have quite a few of these articles (mainly European mags) as well and they all heap a lot of praise on our car, nothing like the regurgitation of Luca's self serving comments.

///Mike likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 Ferrarium, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Yes this drives me crazy most of the rags loved the 348 even better than the nsx. They generally could not stop gushing about the steering and chassis. It was a drum beat in that regard. When I read people out here claiming the 348 handles funny, the steering rack bushings were shot, when that happens the car is definitely wonky. I often wonder if that was the case on the C&D car, people cite the negative review although I don't recall them being overly critical if I recall.