3.4L GTSi build | Page 2 | FerrariChat

3.4L GTSi build

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I pulled my heads at about 100K and the liners were like new. Popped a cap off and the bearings were like new too. Just did all the pulley bearings and seals (and rebuilt the heads with new guides). '85 QV

Aus_yz likes this.
  2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They're looking very nice Paul (as usual.) Did you do the wrinkle finish yourself? Any tips on getting it nice and even? I saw similar pitting in some of my rod bearings and it was the two that sat in oil mixed with coolant while the car was parked for a few years. The water acted as an electrolyte between the steel of the crank pin and the white metal of the bearing.

"My understanding is the tooth design is proprietary, not just a simple square and you can see that its not just a square tooth. Is the aftermarket pulley getting around this legality with a slightly different tooth or is it a machining error?"

I had this problem with the first group buy batch (hence the delay by a few months to get them re-machined.) The Dayco S trapezoidal belt is a proprietary but old design so there is no legal issue. It is similar to the standard ISO "L" tooth but most manufacturers use the old Uniroyal "L" tooth design from the '70's and to complicate matters, the Chinese have their own version of the "L" which was probably made slightly different for patent reasons. It's a good tip to wrap a belt tightly around the pulley to check.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats great and a friend of mine has one that isn't so lucky with less kms. And thats only one example of many Ive tested or worked on, Testarossa is in the same boat. Ferrari went back to steel liners for a reason albeit not cast iron but they got away from aluminum / nikasil. The problem with the nikasil comes when you go to rebuild it. The new liners or the reconditioned ones are not machined in your block or any block for that matter. So getting a dead straight and round one once installed with a head clamped on it is pretty much impossible.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I use a local powder coater for my wrinkle and any other powder coating or ceramic coatings I need.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    If it came to liner replacement, I'd go all in with new liners and 360 crank plus HC pistons, ITB's....AAARRRGGHH!

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Newman likes this.
  6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    hmm, bone stock, affordable and bullet proof the 80's honda B16 motor 8200 redline, over 100hp per liter, first series production motor to do so. same B16B motor in type R spec in the 90's: a whopping 117hp per liter with a redline at 9000 ! more powerful than a f355 per liter without the valve guide or header melted issues. and you only change belts every 90k instead of 30k

but im very much in agreement with you on the 308 motor. though dated and heavy, its most likely the most durable and reliable italian vintage exotic car motor out there. i think its a wonderful unit. i only wish it sounded a bit better :)

maxflynn likes this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Another thing to consider is the tooling from the era. Looking at virgin engines Ive found that the specs are all over the place. Things like liner protrusion up and down, main clearances on the loose side and tight on the same engine and loose rod clearances. I don't think the bearing quality is the problem, I think its the tooling and the sloppiness at the time and the tooling being a big offender to repeatability. Today the tooling and the desire to pay close attention to detail on a case by case basis makes these Ferrari engines even better than what the blueprint had intended.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Those bearings don’t look worn, they look corroded.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I meant in general regarding the comparison to the newer Honda engine reference.

Both bearings on one throw were badly worn. The one with the pitting could be the effect of excesse heat. The bearing lost its crush and was grabbing the crank but hadn’t spun yet and there’s no way it would’ve had proper even lubrication. Was it a piece of debris that went to that rod throw initially and restricted flow? Possible. I didn’t dig for reasons because it was getting a different crank anyway.

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Early 308 may have been assembled by disgruntled workers. Many labor strikes were happen through out the Italy and the sediment may have been at Maranello as well?

sloppiness yes, some of the worst welds I've ever seen are 308s from the 70's. I've heard stores of odd things being hidden in the door cavities like empty cigarette packages or pages from a nudie calendar. If you ever been to an Italian assembly line or garage, their calendars would make a gynecologist blush :)

Newer cars are precisely tool and assembled. Much more automation involved reducing the "Monday" built syndrome.

11. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Looks like you are doing a class a job

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Maybe, who knows. We Italians do love girls, but I wouldn't ever waste a nudie calendar into a Ferrari: better having it hanging on the wall! (ok, I'm a sexual maniac...)

If you want to see real low quality, you have to see a Lamborghini of those years: 308 engine is very reliable if compared to the previous Ferrari.

In any case they were hand assembled (they did no more than some 308 a day, from 5 to 10 units) so an error is always a possibility.

ciao

Formula Uno likes this.
  13. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A local plating house.

15. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The factory was actually poorly lit as well not helping matters

16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So Paul, you are saying that somewhere I can find aluminum OEM pulleys?

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No, OEM are steel and you can get them from several sources.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Heads go on next and Ill degree in the cams then pull the heads to add playdough, heads then go back on to roll the crank around 2 revolutions getting my valve impressions. Then the heads come off to measure actual piston to valve clearance both radially and depth-wise before moving forward. Its a pain to do but if you don't check, you don't know. I might get lucky skipping this step but then again I might not.

Ring gaps checked, all 8 pistons in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

430sixspeed and tbakowsky like this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    430sixspeed likes this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That engine looks like a freaking work of art.

I wouldn't want to put it in my car - it would get dirty

23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #48 Ferraripilot, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Paul, I heard FormulaGT in Munich built one of these motors recently using their super-secret proprietary cam and valvetrain, opened intake ports (would not tell me how much) and saw north of 350bhp at the crank on carburetors. I couldn't get much else out of them, and probably for good reason! Was making an inquiry to order one of their fiberglass trunk lids which weigh some 12lbs and they were kind enough to engage in conversation about this motor.

For me, another dozen bhp isn't worth the massive time it would take to get into the head work but I can believe gains can be had there. That and I think any more power than these 3.4L motors bring just doesn't fit the chassis. 330-340bhp is pretty much max then it just starts to feel like the car has too much power for the chassis and brakes. Just MO.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

The 4V EFI 3.4 version I did made quite a bit more than the carb'd ones Ive done and I didn't find it to be too much lol. I think 450HP would be a nice number :)

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman