Custom 18" X 7" Bora/Merak wheels & Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires | FerrariChat

Custom 18" X 7" Bora/Merak wheels & Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by richarmx, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richarmx

richarmx Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Fairfax Station VA
    Full Name:
    Mark Richards
    These wheels and tires match the width/diameter of the original wheels & tires. The "squared" format and shorter sidewall puts more tire tread on the ground, and improves handling. The custom wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires were tested against the stock Merak tires and wheels. The Merak already handles extremely well, and handling was significantly improved with the custom wheels/tires. For the heavier Bora the custom wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires would be expected to result in much more obvious improvements in handling.

One picture was taken as the original and custom wheels were being switched, and can compare how the original and custom wheels look on the car.

Please call 703-822-1831 if you are interested. A trip to central California from the Washington DC area is scheduled for the later part of June. Meeting for delivery along my travel route is possible.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The big improvement in handling along with a much better ride for the Bora came in the late 1980s/early 1990s with advent of the 60 series performance tires like the Michelin XGT or Goodyear Gatorbacks.

These fit the original rims quite nicely and gave the car a bit more aggressive stance. Those horrid XWX tires were finally relegated to the dust bin ... or so we thought. Now it and couple of others is pretty much all you can get and it's not much of a performance tire.

The Michelin XGTs allowed one to push the Bora to the limits of the suspension design. More tire isn't needed WO some big and hard to do well changes to the suspension. The Bora rolls immensely in turns when pushed hard with high performance tires on it.

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Hoping I do not hijack your thread, I'd like to point out another custom reproduction of the original Campagnolo wheels of the Ghibli, currently mounted on a Ghibli that will be soon auctioned by Artcurial on the next Lemans Classic on 7 July:
    https://www.auction.fr/_fr/lot/1968-maserati-ghibli-4-9l-titre-de-circulation-allemand-chassis-n-deg-14412587

It has has also 17" wheels with the exact same design (extrapolated) from the 15" Campagnolo design.
    They were CNC machined from a aluminum forged block.
    As you did certainly, a difficult and remarkable achievement.

The tyres are 255/55 ZR17
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    It is interesting to read about upgraded replacement wheels for the Bora/Merak as I had 17" by 8" wheels made that match the style of the original Bora wheels including use of the stainless steel hubcaps that the Bora was so famous for. Giugiaro certainly got that look right! When they are mounted on the Bora, I will be using 215/55 aspect tires in the front and 245/50 aspect tires in the rear. The diameter of the upgraded tires almost matches the original Michelin XWX's that came with the car. I can tell you that five of the wheels, single piece and cut from billet, were not cheap and were done by Billet Specialties, a well know maker of aftermarket parts and wheels. Give that they match the original style I think that most people will not see the difference in diameter and aspect ratio right off the bat but, however, will eventual figure out that they are different from the factory wheels and tires.

5. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Could you show a pic of these upgraded wheels?
    Also when they are mounted on the Bora
    Thx

6. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I will but it won't be until sometime next year.

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    It doesn't appear that Mark's reproductions accept the original Bora center caps.
    It'll be interesting to see Elliot's rims.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Art, I think you're running on some pretty comfortable tires P4000? Lower profile tires are going to really change the ride of the Bora whereas 60 series tires did not.

I think pushing Michelin to produce the XGTs in their vintage line would be such a god send to so many 70's era cars but they'll probably point to their sucky XWX as what we should get.

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    If you go up to 16", Michelin also has the Pilot Sport's (225/50 R16 and 255/50 R16) but these are terribly expensive...
    I think that in the US, BFG still produces such dimensions in 16" but unfortunately they are not available in Europe where you can only find R888's and Pilot Sport's.

Concerning the upgraded wheels, obviously the 17" Campy's on the pics above accept the hubcaps.

Let's wait for the Elliot's ones

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It may be that Art is referring to the small center caps as seen on the later Boras which came WO the big chrome dish caps? I think those wouldn't be hard to make.

11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yes, the P4000's I'm running now are IMHO perfect for the Bora... but they are aging out. I've bought a set of Longstone's Pirelli Cinturato 215/70 15's, but not changed over yet... (I'm still in denial over the P4000's age. I willl mourn their passing). I'm not considering modern profiles yet.

Vredestein offers a Classic Sport tire in 215/70 15. Good reviews on Tirerack.com. The tread pattern looks like it would be quieter than the Cinturato's. I've not found much online chat about them.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Sprint+Classic&width=215/&ratio=70&diameter=15&cameFrom=selectSize&partnum=17WR5SC

About the hubcaps - it doesn't appear these rims have the edge and tabs to accept the original Bora 'discs'..

Cheers,
    - Art

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

I looked at the link you provided for the Vredestein Classic Sport 215/70 15 tires.. I like what I saw! I am thinking of getting a set of 4 and using them on my Khamsin…
    Given what else is out there in the market, the price for these seemed very reasonable!

Mike

13. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Having a 1973 US Bora, it's equipped with original Campy wheels, with the caps... which combination I enjoy. The right tyres are a problem in 15" as noted. Hoping for modern technology, not reproduction XWXs, and would go to a reproduction wheel as mentioned if with the dishy-caps! These 17x8 sound grand, as described... by this very particular owner/fan. Would like to be on the list for any further mention and ultimate acquisition. The best tips from actual use as to the really right top performance tyres would be most appreciated. Note that some custom wheel creations are just bling... wanting instead the strongest performance, lightest weight, strongest, etc. Gibson Wheels (Newport Beach) would have been ideal, but they've been on hiatus in recent times. Press ON!!

Attached Files:

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Glad to hear you like what you see... Their customer reviews seem encouraging - at least there are no complaints. Please share your opinion if you get a set. I do expect to try them myself as soon as the need arises.. which might not be for several years.
    - Art

15. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello,
    I am very interested in the custom made 17" rims in Campagnolo design for my Khamsin. Who made them / can mahe another set ?
    Best Regards
    Achim
    ( [email protected] )

16. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    According to the info provided by Artcurial, these wheels are a one-off set made by a high tech engineer working in the field of engines for jets and using the facilities available in his company to do it.
    You may liaise with Artcurial to get more info.
    Ghibli unsold btw