Vintage Shelton Sportscars Photos (80's & 90's) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Vintage Shelton Sportscars Photos (80's & 90's)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by AJS328, Dec 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Interesting. I had 53289 pegged as a possibility since our own Wayne Skiles sold this car to a guy in Arkansas in '87. But it had reportedly moved on to Las Vegas, NV by '88, so it's curious to find that it was still wearing the AR plates in Florida a decade or so later. Perhaps the NV info was wrong?

2. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #102 Ney, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Lola T212 is what it seems to say to me, but tough to tell from one photo....

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    NART is 10139.
    10709 has a nerf bar that goes bumper to bumper, above the grille.

4. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I just bought a Tom Shelton 330 GTC #9899

5. Pesto

Pesto Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    PalmBeachGardens,FL
    Full Name:
    Douglas A. Benson
    The blue 330 GTC looks very much like the one I purchased there sometime in the early 1980's. I flew down from Philadelphia and drove the car home. There was a fuel leak in the intake system between one of the carburetors and the manifold that I did not discover until I was well north of Ft. Pierce...' lucky it did not catch on fire!

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Did you make it back or did you have to have it repaired first?

7. Pesto

Pesto Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    PalmBeachGardens,FL
    Full Name:
    Douglas A. Benson
    Ah, I was much younger and far more adventurous back then and decided to push on...probably a bad decision but I did make it back leaving the car at Algar along the way. I did go through quite a lot of gas but had a great ride all the same. What I would give to have that one back in my garage!!!

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Nice pics Augie!

I was there numerous times back when I was looking for a Dino in late 98-99. John Levy was a guy I spoke with many times and a really helpful. The times I was there they had a pristine 50s or 60s Ferrari out front, to drool on.

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yeah, they’ve always been nice guys. Bud Root was there for a long time and he was always nice to me, even when I was too young to buy a car. We’ve remained friends to this day. Great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShoe likes this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very late edit for correction: The original name of the dealership was Pleasure Cars. If you’re familiar with Ft. Lauderdale in the early 1960s, the showroom was in an upscale strip center on S.E. 17th. St., across from Pier 66, directly on the Intracoastal Waterway. The service department, such as it was, was run by Cressman, in a warehouse district a couple of miles west of the showroom off of S.R. 84. Coincidentally, I met Stirling Moss at Bob Publicker’s home, where he was recuperating from his career ending crash at Goodwood. I was all of 14 years old. He signed his autobiography for me and of course I still have it.

As many of you probably know, Tim Stanford worked in the service department for Bob Cressman before setting up his own shop. Al Roberts started working there under original ownership and he’s still in the service department after all these years! For many years he cared for 06885 (pictured somewhere in this thread) under Preston Henn’s ownership as well as 3765.

11. Roadney

Roadney Karting

looking through some old pics - here's one of Al Roberts at TX World Speedway for a Challenge race with the Brother's #62. I think it was 1997 or 1998.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66, Jack-the-lad and GatorFL like this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Said to be auctioned at RM Sotheby’s in November.

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  15. Roadney

Roadney Karting

IDK who the other women was, really just capturing the view from behind...and yes that's Terri.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  16. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Wow! what a thread! I used to go to Shelton as a kid, back when I was in middle school every now and then to check out the cars. If fact once my parents brought me there for my birthday just to look around and bought me a Ferrari t shirt there! I think they also gave me a free poster of something. I kept going back for years, even when I was able to drive in high school, I went with some friends to check out what they had after school sometimes. I have pictures somewhere I will find. I know I also have pictures of a Mclaren F1 in the showroom, that was amazing as it was the first time I ever saw one in real life!

Also, I was of course too young to buy a car like these then, but I remember talking to Bud Root, and he gave me his business card and I treasured it! It sure was a beautiful business cars too! I still have it to this day and here are pics. I always thought if I kept it, I would call him one day to buy a car! Thankfully I have (although it hasn't been from him :D)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

papou, HotShoe, Roadney and 1 other person like this.
  17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Bud is truly one of the best.

He's still at Ferrari of Palm Beach. You should stop by and say "hi". He'd love to see that pic.

Mercedes_Benz likes this.
  18. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I bought my 308 from Bud in the early 90’s and used to visit whenever I was in the area (originally from Ottawa...and boy was that a trip brining it home). Last time I was in the Palm Beach area while I was relocating from Naples to Charlotte NC, I stopped by to say hi, as it was kind of on the way. He was gracious as always. Back living in Florida, I guess I need to drop by again and see how he is doing.
    JP
    [​IMG]

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Gorgeous 308!!!

papou likes this.
  20. enzof355f430

enzof355f430 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm currently working overseas so no access to my pics, but...

Back in the mid 2000s, I was on a family vacation to South Florida. I was 16ish at the time. The Challenge Stradale and Enzo were the absolute dream cars for me. Still are. We stopped in Shelton and got to drool over all the cars. Everyone was very nice. I remember a salesman bringing me back to see the Enzo sitting in the shop. I still have that pic at home. I also convinced my mom to buy me a 1:18 scale CS model. That model and the framed “Shelton Sports Cars” Receipt sit on my desk at home.

Skip forward to 2019 and I drove my very own Challenge Stradale to the dealer and the Ferrari Challenge at Homestead from Pensacola, FL (700ish miles). I shared my story and showed the framed receipt to a few at the dealer, one of which being Mr. Hank Carpenter. It was an awesome experience, and one I never thought I’d be able to accomplish. I try to stop in anytime I am in South Florida, and while the owners/dealer name may have changed, I have always been treated superbly.

Unfortunately the CS is gone now. Maybe next time I'll be in an Enzo…

-Matt

HotShoe and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I remember one time I went there when I was young with a friend just to look around, and at the time the Challenge Stradale just came out, someone at the dealer saw me and my friend just looking around, and he said they have a Challenge Stradale in the shop that just came in if we wanted to see it. It sure was amazing! I have pictures somewhere! But I gotta find them!

22. outshined

outshined Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    new york
    Full Name:
    Leonard Palone
    I was reminiscing and typed in Shelton Ferrrari of Fort Lauderdale. This thread came up and wow, I read all 5 Pages in one sitting. I was going to post of my own experience with Shelton but I am humbled.... and deeply impressed at all the talent that resides on this site. I'm a mere mortal that owned a 328GTS in the early '90's. But I have to tell it anyway.
    I drove my 328 from NY to Florida (Palm Beach) the first year I owned it. I made it in 13 hours and some odd minutes. Got pulled over only once in Georgia. Once I hit St Augustine on I95 I got on it and never did less than 140. Hit it the whole way. I love that 100-200mile flat straight stretch past Daytona, Palm Coast, Riviera, etc. So I make it to the house late at night, put the car away and go to sleep. I wake up the next day and go to start the car and - nothing , DOA . I was a kid at around 25 years old, half assed mechanic. and all smell is raw feul. So, enter Shelton Ferrari (my experience with them) I call them up tell them the problem, and a flat bed was there in an hour or so! They had the car fixed by next morning for me and called me to ask to deliver it or should I come and get it. I went to pick it up, it was ready and they also detailed it like brand new . The car needed 2 Distributor caps, wires and plugs. I cooked 'em running it that hard that long...but I loved it. I met everyone there and told them this story, they loved it too! The car was "gleemin" after they detailed it so I asked them what wax they used, they said Zymol. I've been using it ever since. I must say I had the nicest experience from any Ferrari dealer at Shelton. Not vultures or scoundrels. After that I went there every time I got a chance and they were always hospitable to me.
    They charged me $800 and I paid it gladly. I now own an '08 F430 and I'm very happy with it. I joined the chat a year or so ago to learn of the 430's secrets , this is my first post. You guys have been heavily instrumental in my understanding of the machine. Thank You.

Roadney and Jack-the-lad like this.