Relying on Ferrari Certified for F12 Purchase | FerrariChat

Relying on Ferrari Certified for F12 Purchase

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by bluesea, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    I am about to make serious inquiries on a Ferrari Certified, 2017 F12 and seek the wise advice from this forum.

I live on one coast of the U.S. and don’t want to travel to the opposite coast to see the car myself but I can arrange for a quality, very Ferrari-knowledgeable surveyor to go and check it out. I’m particularly concerned about the electrolysis issue with the rear fender vents on some F12s.

My question is:
    Since it’s a Ferrari Certified unit, can I reasonably trust the certification and just buy it sight unseen (aside from the great pictures they took)? It’s still on warranty and I can have them take close-up pictures of the vent areas and, if there’s an issue, add that deduction to the final sales price if I’d still want to move ahead with the purchase.

The car listed for $399k and their asking $320k with 1200 miles. It’s been on the market for at least four to five months.

Thanks!

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It is certainly ideal to buy it from a dealership, and moreover, for it to be certified. How much work goes into the certification process varies from dealership to dealership. As long as you have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified person, I think you should be fine. Ideally you would want that person to be an indy mechanic who has extensive experience while working at the dealership. In my case, it wouldn't really matter if I'm there or not because I wouldn't know what to look for.

With newer generation Fcars, I believe new software is needed to do a full inspection on the car and not every indy shop has it. The best would be for the inspection to be done back in the indy's own shop but I know not all dealerships will allow that. But if the car has been sitting for a while, you might be able to use that to your advantage to negotiate for something that is not unreasonable.

BTW, be sure to ask the dealership how much life is left on the CCM rotors while the car is plugged into the computer...just in case the car was tracked.

3. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    Thanks for your insight and the time to write it up, Otakki.

It's interesting to hear your comments on the variability on a dealership's inspection procedures. I think the selling dealer has a good reputation so I may be ok there. I've been advised of a good, experienced Ferrari assessor so I'll get him to go and see the car and go from there. I'll be sure to have him check the rotor thickness as well.

Thanks again!

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    No problem!

Unlike steel rotor, measuring ccm rotor's thickness will not tell you anything about its remaining life. One way to check ccm rotor's life is to weight it and compare to the new weight stamped on each rotor. However, it involves the labor and hassle of removing it. The easiest is to ask your sales rep to get you the percentage from the dealership tech shown on the screen when the car is hooked up to the computer. It wouldn't be super accurate, but it will at least give you a pretty good estimate.

5. Kauai

Kauai Rookie

Apr 24, 2015
    Estero, FL
    I have a 1799 mile 2016’ model for sale. Still
    Under warranty. $289k. Regards, Jim

6. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Sounds suspiciously like my former car (Titanio/Iroko?). PM me if any questions.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

1. I would ask for a copy of the actual CPO inspection form, its the same form no matter what Dealership performed the CPO inspection. That way if you chose to have it reinspected once you have the car in your possession, you can cross check with actual information.
    2. IF you have an independent inspection performed, make sure is someone who actually knows the car , has hopefully been factory trained, so they are not offering opinions , based upon another car they saw once , parked in front of the local Starbuck's last Saturday. ( J/K - Just confirm their actual qualifications )
    3. Since it is under factory warranty, there isn't much that wouldn't be covered, IF you did get the car and find something wrong with it. So, ask for brake %
    as for actual tire wear measurements , and really detailed photos of body panels for dings or rock chips.

Congrats on your soon to be new to you Ferrari!

Welcome to the family,

Steve

8. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    Thanks, guys, for your valuable advice. I will definately incorporate your information into my due diligence. Another thing I'll do is focus on the rear fender vent electrolysis issue and general paint thickness of the body. I feel better now, than before I asked, going into this F12 market. Cheers!

9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    $500 is a air ticket that I would invest for a item that I purchase for $300k that is essentially non-refundable.