I don't get these three-wheeled "motorcycles" | FerrariChat

I don't get these three-wheeled "motorcycles"

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm talking about the ones with two front wheels. I saw a bunch of them on my western trip. Scared me to death just watching them. I can see it if for some reason you can't ride a two-wheeler anymore, but to ride these instead of a bike? Doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

teak360 and boxerman like this.
  2. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I worked at a BRP dealer who sold the Spyders. They are quite fun. A bit weird, but fun. The sales rep said they were for the client who wants a convertible sportscar and a motorcycle. I know a lot of people whole own them, take the touring model on long road trips and love them. I'm not too familiar with the Polaris slingshot, but have heard good things. I'd buy a spyder if the price was right, but that's about the only reason why. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davem and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you look at the Slingshot up close, the build quality seems similar to a kit car. If you want a 3 wheeler...get a Morgan.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    But how is it anything like a motorcycle? Just seems like a convertible missing a rear wheel. Seating position and riding/driving characteristics aren't even close. It has a steering wheel...

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The spyder is the motorcycle looking one. The slingshot is the sit in and steering wheel one. I'm really not sure what Polaris was thinking when the made the slingshot.

6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Agreed. The build quality on polaris in general has declined as well.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't understand the appeal either.

Friend of mine brought over a Vanderhall the other day and tried to toss me the keys. No thanks! Not interested.

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm going to stereotype a bit here, but I've sees these mostly bought/ridden by the older set. The ones who still want the wind in their hair but aren't quite as sharp as they used to be.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    If you’ve been on motorcycle rides and watched bikes fall over while parking or taking off you would understand.

They are great for older or inexperienced riders.

Gran Drewismo and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I get that, but watching these things on the open road, I'm not sure they are safer. High center of gravity, with no lean or countersteering.

11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    But hard to tip over and no balance skills required. Also, you don’t have to reach the ground with your feet, so add short people to the list of potential buyers.

13. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I rode a Spyder briefly, and didn't get the appeal.......the 'no lean' aspect; it's kind of like an automatic in a sports car. The positives can't be denied, however.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, why not get an Atom and have four wheels?

15. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    An Ariel Atom's lowest price is ~$50,000.........so lots more $$$.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The really fugly ones are the two wheeler in the back. Looks like a meter maid patrolling the streets.

17. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    After many decades with Goldwings, and laying one down about 8 years ago, my Grandpa switched to a CanAm Spyder. He said it is much better for his chronic back pain.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Yamaha is going to release the 3 wheeled Niken for 2019 that allows you to lean into the corners.

The front end looks like a mechanical nightmare to maintain and I am sure the slightest amount of wear in that linkage will make it handle weird.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool looking, I guess. I still don't get the point.

Why not buy a Miata?

21. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Last summer, I made the trek from CO to Laguna Seca to watch WSB races with my son and chose Hwy 50 across NV rather than a much more pedestrian I-80. On the way home and at triple digit speed, I passed a trio of CanAms parked on the side of the road. As I was 30-40 miles outside of Ely I decided it would be best to dial things down and settled on a more leisurely 80 mph. Turns out Mr. NV Patrol wasn't impressed with my new found conservatism and pulled me over.

I was negotiating with Mr Patrol over the foibles of owning a BMW XR and inaccurate speedometers when the CanAms puttered by. I have found that most officers are actually disappointed when they pull me over and see what an old fart I am...hoping to crack the whip on a squid I suppose. He looks at the CanAms as they go off into the distance and asks: "riding buddies of yours?"

I hate to admit it but I was a bit offended...did I really look like someone who would ride one? In the end I think he was trying to gauge whether or not I had been airing things out and pulled way ahead of "my buddies", but still.

We settled our differences and Mr. Patrol let me off with a warning...

Brock

22. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Lookie at all that extra weight up front....wow. My guess is that the design is an attempt to lessen the probability of low-side crashes when the front end washes out. However, me thinks that an unintended consequence of more grip in the front would be a loosie goosie rear....think of all the spectacular high-sides these things could produce!

Brock

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on, bro. I was watching these things in Colorado. Scary frankly. I was in a Porsche Cayenne. I started backing down. I wanted to leave room.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    All the trike conversions Gold Wings I ever rode the front end felt floppy since there was way to much of a weight transfer to the rear unless the owners changed up triple clamps and forks, Lets not even get into cornering one. The brakes are an issue as well since the front is no longer has the weight transfer that a motorcycle has.

The CanAm is nothing more than a snowmobile with wheels replacing the skis and track. I honestly think that it was originally marketed to the touring sled heads and it took off from there. I rode one around the block and did not care for it and have no desire to try one ever again.

The Slingshot is nothing more than Polaris's knee jerk reaction to the CanAm by crossing a sled with a side by side UTV. Naturally with Polaris the R+D is minimal at best with several recalls and stop sale orders to dealers right after they were released to the public. This kinda common with most Polaris built vehicles. The number of service bulletins and recalls are staggering. Cannot comment on how they run and handle since I cannot fit my fat and tall frame into one I have a better chance of being comfortable in a Ferrari 308 than a Slingshot at 6'4" and size 15 feet.

25. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    A friend in Lost Wages bought a Slingshot and took me for a couple of rides. It was a rattle trap, the frame and suspension felt springy, the engine looked like it was freshly snatched from a Ford Pinto and wasn't all that comfortable to sit in. The only good part was the guy was on LV Metro PD so he would flail the thing around the streets and highways with impunity.