Anti-Miami Formula One Petition | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anti-Miami Formula One Petition

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BartonWorkman, Nov 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Seems to me if you buy a condo in one of the downtown Biscayne Boulevard towers, you pretty
    much know what you're signing up for (week long music festivals that go to nearly dawn, parades,
    et.al. that create traffic issues and noise).

But, evidently, Homestead/ISC is going to use the residents of these buildings as bargaining chips
    with regard to their fight against the Miami Formula One Grand Prix from taking place. Let's see
    what happens in the coming months.

While the news from the City Commission yesterday was good, there will be a few more hoops
    to jump through.

Funny, people have been complaining about the lack of noise in F1 lately but the the noise will
    be a front and center issue by the opposition.

BHW

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I can see nearby residents (especially new ones) complaining about the Grand Prix, but I don't think they have the right to complain about noise from Bayfront Park events; after all, the park was there first! It's like people who move near an existing airport and then complain about the noise.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Can't complain about the noise because F1 cars are quiet now. V8/V10s have been long gone...

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol, if they can handle "Urban Weekend" a little F1 race won't kill them. :)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just received this from a friend who lives in one of the new Biscayne towers.

Meeting tonight at 6:30PM.

BHW

Attached Files:

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    That ought to be interesting

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #58 TheMayor, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    I'm not sure how you convince people who don't give a shoot about racing this is "good for them". Long Beach has a similar problem. If you tried to start the race there today it would be rejected. Back when Long Beach was suffering economically it made a lot of sense. Let face it-- before the Long Beach GP the city was best known for drunken sailors finding cheap booze and hookers before shipping out again. My feeling is if the race left Long Beach now a lot of people would applaud.

And remember that the race in Long Beach is "barely" on city streets. Most of it is on the tourist path and not used for much day to day traffic through the heart of the city. Even so, it's a burden on businesses in the city and residents. Its good for bars though!

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #59 BartonWorkman, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Having not attended the meeting or being briefed on the contents yet, it's a bit premature to say
    how the discussion went.

The person who was in charge of the meeting and sending out the publicity around it is president
    of the Downtown Neighbors Association and has been quoted in the Miami Herald saying, "Undeniably
    Formula One is a world class event that can potentially bring a large economic impact to the city of Miami.

"However, past races such as the Formula E held in 2015 have presented many problems, among them
    security issues, lengthy traffic disruptions, street closures, and total disruption of pedestrian access to
    parks and even crosswalks during long setup and tear down periods
    ."

So, while praising the Formula One Grand Prix in Miami on one hand and then pointing to the defencies
    of the failed Formula E event in 2015 on the other, she elaborates on the points made in the initial petition to stop the
    event from happening which we all know was done by a Tallahassee lobbying firm on behalf of their client,
    the ISC.

I've been asked a few times lately if anyone from previous Miami racing ventures will be involved with the
    Miami Formula One Grand Prix. The answer to that is a resounding "No". Formula E was put on by Andretti
    Autosport Group (SIC, now defunct) and their attempt at this was seen as doing everything on the cheap. And,
    while well attended, access was a nightmare, long lines at the cross over bridges and for food, etc. which the
    Miami Herald keeps pointing out, the event was deemed a failure and did not return.

Likewise, no one from the Miami Grand Prix of the Americas (2002-03) or the original downtown Miami Grand
    Prix (1983-1993) under the late Ralph Sanchez are involved with this venture, although there are those from
    the Sanchez team whom are actively engaged in the process. This is purely the FIA and Liberty Media working
    with Stephen Ross' team so this is a completely clean sheet of paper, so to say.

I reached the organizer of the meeting by phone yesterday to inquire about it and if it was open to anyone
    and she generously said that it was open to anyone with an interest in the Grand Prix. If the ISC is going
    to make noise about the event, and I'm told that they have $20M to $30M to spend to stop it, their plan is
    obviously to use the Downtown Neighbors Association as their foil in order to garner enough signatures
    against it from taking place.

It's going to be interesting.

BHW

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we (Motorsport) sent a reporter last night, but I haven't seen an article yet or heard anything.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    with Stephen Ross involved, my suspicion is the eventual venue will be a "Meadlowlands" style parking lot grand prix around Hard Rock Stadium.

Ross is actively trying to turn that facility into a mixed use, year-round venue-hosting the Miami Open tennis tournament, etc.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's possible and yes, they're shifting the Miami Open tennis out to Hard Rock next year.

However, in the case of F1, Liberty is after the visual impact of the downtown area, the water, palm trees and
    cruise ships, etc. and there isn't all that out at the stadium. F1's interests are best served being as planned.

BHW

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Synopsis of the meeting provided by a friend.

Of those in attendance, about fifty were very concerned about the Miami Formula One
    Grand Prix happening outside their front doors.

Formula One sent a delegation (not sure whom this included but likely from Liberty) which
    gracefully defused the situation through insightful discourse. Miami City Commissioner
    Russell was also complimented.

Stephen Ross (event promoter) also sent a delegate.

No definitive decision has been made on circuit layout yet. There is an issue regarding the area
    behind the Arena (where the paddock and pits are supposed to be) as an organization was
    supposed to make improvements after using it but didn't follow through.

BHW

14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You can always hire another Tallahassee lobbyist (who might or might not be a member of F-chat...) to fight against the ISC Tallahassee lobbyists. :)

On a more serious note, it's always a NIMBY attitude, especially on new things that people aren't familiar with. There's plenty of art festivals and music festivals in Miami year-round, so even though they're large events, people know what to expect.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    True that, let the weasels fight it out in Tallahassee.

BHW

16. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Dang, didn’t know I was a weasel!

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You are not!

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So far, the ISC's efforts in their attempts to blunt the Miami Formula One Grand Prix have
    been blunted.

Their first attempt, a shameless online petition that was promoted by none other than the
    Miami Herald via a Facebook page (no, really!), gained about eight signatures before it
    was taken down.

Their second attempt, this meeting brought together by the DNA and other downtown resident
    organizations likewise fell flat when residents concerns were artfully addressed by Formula One
    representatives.

Their M.O., using the failed Formula E event from 2015, has likewise failed. Anyone knowing
    the structure of the Formula E event knows that it was put on by the Andretti group (and) is completely separate from the Formula One group headed by Liberty, the FIA and the Stephen
    Ross organization which will fill the promotional role.

Ross, as some may know, was in the running to purchase Formula One along with Liberty.

Further issues, such as the area behind the arena, etc. should be addressed locally, no need to
    drag Tallahassee in.

BHW

HobbsTC likes this.
  19. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Oh I agree completely. I did some research into the lobbying firms on both sides, though there are some interested parties that have none yet. I will say that Tallahassee will get dragged in if, like Ross has done many times in the past, he asks for state money in the budget for this event to build things. I remember sitting in the Senate gallery right behind Ross and Roger Goodell one day watching his stadium funding bill blow up before his very eyes.

Full disclosure, yes I am a lobbyist in Florida, based out of Tallahassee, though we have clients based all over the state. And there is a small, very hardcore group of us that are devoted F1 fans, so I hope this comes to fruition.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Welcome to the conversation HobbsTC.

I will gracefully as possible state that when I said "weasels" I was referring to the lobbyists working on behalf of the
    ISC, of course.

As stated previously, if the ISC/NASCAR tries to thwart the Miami Formula One Grand Prix, they do so at their own
    peril as the FIA does have sway over NASCAR matters so they'd be well advised to step carefully.

BHW

HobbsTC likes this.
  21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Quite a bit of chatter about this outside the usual circles. Lol, I'm already getting requests for passes. Most are from people I wouldn't consider car/race fans.

IMO this bodes well for the event happening considering the positive buzz brewing. Fingers crossed.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Funny you should say that, I'm already getting requests for tickets too!

I'm convinced the event will happen, just a few hurdles to clear first. People have to keep in mind
    it's not happening this October but October 2019 (although March would be the far perferable
    date after Sebring).

BHW

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I can't get too angry at Stephen Ross for two reasons: we went to the same high school, and he owns my favorite NFL team.....

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And then there's this...

One of fifteen pages evidently.

BHW

Attached Files: