Fuel pump not priming, can't go into gear:( | FerrariChat

Fuel pump not priming, can't go into gear:(

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian97, Jun 16, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
    I unlock the Ferrari, fuel pump doesn't make priming sound, can't go into gear. I'm still new to the 360 and any ideas on what's causing the problem?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Do you mean perhaps the F1 pump ?

3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    So it starts no problem? You can check the f1 relay.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

any warning light on dash?

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Take a voltage measurement on the F1 pump power connector. That will tell you if you have a bad pump or a bad relay.

6. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
  7. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio

Attached Files:

8. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
    If the problem turns out to be either or, is there something I can do at home instead of taking it to the service dept. recommendations?

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if there's 12v to the connector, then its your motor, replace it
    if there's no 12v to the connector, then most likely it is the relay, you can test the relay as the next step

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Changing out the relay or F1 pump (6) is not a problem and can be done at home. The motor drive portion of the F1 pump can be changed out, leaving the impeller head in place. I personally prefer to change out the whole unit, but you'll need the ability to do an F1 system flush and purge, which requires an SDx or another compatible tool.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I believe thats the symbol for the rear deck lid over the engine compartment. If its out of alignment with sensors you will have issues.

cpep likes this.
  12. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I don't think it will go into gear with it open either so that may be your problem.

Skidkid likes this.
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is a transmission light, not the rear deck lid. He needs to get this onto an SD and see what is throwing the code.

billy.gif, E60 M5 and Hypek9 like this.
  14. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
    I really want to work on it myself, however I've never worked on cars as it's not my niche. Im thinking of having it towed to Ferrari service dept, can anyone give me a ball park to what they might charge? Anyone have experience with this issue?

15. FrankForrest

FrankForrest Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Just went through this. Hoping it was a $50 relay or even a pump motor failure but mine was the worse case scenario - F1 pump failure. You don't want to know how much this cost. Take it in and cross your fingers.

16. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would at least pull the relay to see if it shows signs of burning.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Just so we are clear:
    - you have never worked on cars (no knowledge or skills yet)
    - you didn't even look up what the idiot light represented
    - the F1 is a highly complex computerized system
    - you don't have access to an SD or Leonardo to look at what is happening in the system (even if you knew what to look for)
    - despite the recommendations from long time members to get professional help, you are hoping that a couple of guys with a few posts are going to help diagnose the issue over the internet

All I can say is good luck with that. Why don't you take up surgery on yourself at the same time. You have about equal odds of success. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is the sad truth that people just don't want to get professional help when they should. I see it with the F1 system CONSTANTLY and it almost never turns out well. Get a pro that knows what they are doing and let them set up your F1 properly.

absostone and honda.vfr like this.
  18. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
    First off, I'd like to congradulate you for taking your time to think of such wording LOL. no one asked for negative 2 cents, Im still new to the forum just wanting to see others experiences. Have a good one "skidkid".

cpep likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sorry, I don't see it as negative, simply frustration with someone ignoring the facts and reality of fixing a car. His analogy, however strong, still rings true. Just do yourself a favor and have it looked at by a Ferrari Technician with proper equipment.

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    A brand new F1 pump may cost up to $800. If you need one, buy it yourself - you can get it for less. You will pay a premium if you let the dealer source it for you.
    A friend of mine spent about $1700 (not including F1 pump) at the dealership about 2 years ago when his pump failed.
    May sound harsh to you but I'd heed Skidkid's advice.

21. Brian97

Brian97 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017
    California
    Full Name:
    Brian Solorio
    youre all right, i was just curious if the job was simple. im having it taken to the service dept.

22. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Your not "Priming the Pump", your pressurizing the system. This isn't some water well on Green Acres.

It's a BIG difference, ignorant people just repeat.

System pressure bleeds down over time due to inactivity. When the pump cycles "ON" it brings system pressure back up to operation range. From there it cycles "ON" & "OFF" with pressure demand to stay in those limits.

When you open the driver's door the pump immediately cycles on to pressurize the system. Then in the time it takes you to sit down, insert the key, step on the brake & turn the key to start. It has the available pressure to select neutral & push in the clutch.

Since you should park the car in gear & not rely on the parking brake

boaz15 likes this.