California T 2015 some electronic issue - What's the recommendation? | FerrariChat

California T 2015 some electronic issue - What's the recommendation?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Akim, Jun 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Akim

Akim Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Akim Talibov
    Good afternoon!

I am the owner of California T since 2015. The car passed less than 3000 miles (less than 5000 km).

In the morning I started the car, drove it, left it on the street. All was good and in order.

I returned to the car in 2 hours. When I started the car after returning, the error "ESC System Failure Return to Dealer" appeared. I drove my car 100 meters and appeared "AVT (or something like that) system failure" and "Manettino failure".

Then I stopped the car, shut off the engine, waited, started again. Errors disappeared, but as soon as I moved, they appeared again. In addition, "Engine Control System Failure Return to Dealer" also appeared.

Also, I began to feel the vibration, which comes to the brake pedal. As if some mechanism is trying to start but fails.

An interesting fact: the air conditioner has stopped cooling. At the same time with the appearance of these failures. In the morning the air conditioner worked properly. However, when all these errors appeared, it continued to blow air, but it was just hot air, it did not cool air (outside was +34).

What could it be? Is there a problem with the battery?

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Multiple simultaneous systems failures tend to indicate a common cause, especially if the failing systems are all electrical. Do you use the battery tender when the car is stored? Has the car been driven on a lot of short trips?

Modern cars all deploy a lot more electrical circuits than older cars - all cars. Many of these circuits require very accurate voltage and current supply in order to work properly. If your battery was not properly charged up, it may not supply sufficient voltage or current and some functions will either not work or may throw up error messages.

Modern cars, especially very expensive ones, can be very troublesome to own if they encounter battery issues because they have so many sensors (and IMO are so averse to any system failure that might result in a lawsuit). As an owner you have to be aware of proper battery maintenance practices. I even own a sophisticated battery tester so I don't have to take my car to the dealer to check my battery. Ferrari uses a special tester that is not available at any battery shop so those other testers will give erroneous results if interpreted at face value.

You should always hook up your car to the battery tender when the car is stored, especially if you do mainly short drives (less than 30 minutes at city speeds). Keeping the car hooked up to the battery tender is the easiest way to avoid dead or weak batteries. Batteries should last at least 3-4 years, after that a replacement is common practice.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't have much, if anything, to add above and beyond what 4th said above. From my reading here - and own experience ('11 Cali) - these could easily be due to an old/low battery or a problem with the tender. I'd take it to dealer and start there, and hope it is something relatively simple. Best of luck...T

4. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Any update to this Akim? I ran into something similar with my 2015 CaliT. Headed to dealer...

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How old is your battery? Is it in battery tender regularly when not in use? Do you have HELE (Start /Stop)?
    T

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I had two instances similar to the above and both happened when I hit the Start button without waiting a few seconds for the car to complete the diagnostic check upon turning the ignition key. Multiple errors and weird behaviors that went away after a proper restart. I would also have the battery checked.

7. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Had numerous electrical issues in a Cali 30 before and it was fixed with a new battery and at charging it at least once a week.

In my experience, most modern cars tend to consume a lot of electricity and even my weekend MX-5 needed to be charged every now and then as the battery is really small.

However, I also noticed that the F-car was the most sensitive among all which can sometimes be frustrating so you really need to take care.