308 GTSi or 308 QV? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 GTSi or 308 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ptama10, Jun 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Here is why;

First time to put my butt in a GTSi. I was 15 and that was the color (you know how you always remember your first time, right:D). Same car a few weeks later. Summer 1983.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Formula Uno, Jbrauer and vaccarella like this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The car was sold and painted red by the new owner a few years ago... Sad to me.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, it is indeed. I have no figures or statistics to substanciate this, but my impression is that the "red fever" on 308s might have had something to do with Magnum P.I, because if you look at the first carbed cars (mainly the GTBs) the proportion of Rosso cars was not that big at the beginning of production. Many cars were repainted Rosso later, perhaps because it made resale easier?

Rgds

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One thing is sure, you are a certifed fan indeed...And these pics are also nice memories.

Yes, I remember my first one very well, except it was a "365 Daytona" in 1971 (I was eleven); at the place of one of my uncles. The car was driven by a cousin of him, who was working for a "well-known french tyre manufacturer" and testing tyres "in situ", on the roads, if my memories serves me well. As I didn't take any picture, with the passing of time, I started to think that somehow I have made-up that story, and never actually seen that car, and the story was a figment of my imagination.
    Two years ago, said uncle celebrated his 60th wedding anniversary. Went there with my 328 GTS; an elderly guy, about 85, was looking at my car and said to me: "nice, too bad it doesn't have a 12 cylinder engine; I had a Daytona at the beginning of the seventies". So now I know: my disease started with a Daytona indeed.

Rgds

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Cool story.

Formula Uno likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...then I remember clearly a reunion of the alumnis of my generation at my former "lycée" in 1978, when an older guy (= he was four or five classes "above" me, that is to say he must have been only 22 or 23) came with a brand new Azzuro/Crema 308 GT4.
    And two years later, when I was attending the "classes préparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles" in Nancy, a silver / black 246 GTS that was often parked behind my school, and how I longed for that one...

Rgds

maurice70 likes this.
  7. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    What a shame...Marrone metallizzato is unique..

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Interesting because THIS story with me and that car involves one of my uncles as well. That picture was taken in Huntsville, Al where my Uncle Don lived who was also my dentist and the influence for me to follow in his footsteps in my profession.

The owner of the car was a CV surgeon who invited me to his home that evening for a ride. Uncle Don took me over to his home that night for my first ride in a Ferrari. Why I didn't bring a camera is a complete mystery to me because I obviously had one on me earlier that day.

I kept my eye on that car for 25 years and found out he finally sold it after it was too late. I called the new owner and that is when I found out it was painted red.

I'll post some pictures of it now a little later this evening or this weekend. You will not believe what was done to it. It wasn't just the color he changed

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It is chassis 35455

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh yes, I remember that thread of yours. You clearly deserved your car, Dr Tommy. The Factory should even have given you one...
    I guess that for many european kids like me, "The Persuaders" has etched the 246 Dino deep in our minds, just like "Magnum P.I" did for the american kids with the 308 later.
    Rgds

4re308 and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  12. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A plug for the carb cars. Mine is 40 years old : - ). And the - clock - still works!

4re308 and vaccarella like this.
  13. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    So, when I went looking, I wanted a B, and an injected model, not red! I was willing to do whatever it needed after I bought it, but I ended up with the perfect B, in Nero, and have been enjoying it for over 11 years now, it's the 2v, 1982. It's been so reliable and it always draws oohs and aahs wherever it goes! I still love looking at it, sitting in it and driving it, although they're not fast, it FEELS fast and it SOUNDS amazing at 7000 rpms and more! Get yourself a 308 that you love the look of and have some money to do whatever it takes to make it your car! If you're searching for a "better" car, QV over 2v, you may never buy a car, there's ALWAYS a better one! I drive a new AUDI for my better car, the 308 is the fun car, I still love it! What's NOT to love!! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    When i started my 'research' in 93 i narrowed it down to either the first or last .Euro Carbs or a QV.For the best price/performance/rarity combo.

The QV GTB is quite a rare beast, if you can find a good one. Having turned down a couple of Vetro's and a QV for various reasons I ended up with my steel '77 GTB.

As you say you prefer a GTS,they were of course all wet sump,and probably more plentiful so you will have a wider choice .

As most have advised buy the best one you can find ,worth it in the long run.Good luck.