488: What's the best way to buy this car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488: What's the best way to buy this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RaceMX-M3, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    He’s swinging for the fences! Plus, he’s been around hardcore guys since 2008, bro.

2. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Best way to buy is with a submachine gun and a case of Cuban cigars. Don't stop for the sirens...

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i would steer clear of a "wealth adviser" driving a leased 488...

4. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #29 RaceMX-M3, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    I work for at The Star in Frisco from 8am to 4pm. I'm W2 but might as well be "my" business. I also own ******&&&&&&, that one's mine.

5. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thx for advice. What do you drive and how did you pay?

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think your main query has been addressed, that is - there is no way to buy a 488 and maintain its value for any reasonable amount of time. If there was a way - then everybody would do it correct?

I've also given you a clear path to network with Ferrari owners and organizations that maintain a certain level of exclusivity and opens the doors to participation (i.e. TR/BB.) A 355, in my opinion, is a screaming value right now, and that price of entry is a fraction of the cost of a 488.

That will allow you to participate in Ferrari Club rallies, shows, etc as a Driver and Owner (not that ownership of a Ferrari is not a litmus test to join a mainstream organization, all you need is simply the appreciation for the marque.) But based on your description of your situation, being an owner is your goal, I assume to reinforce a fraternal level camaraderie with potential clients.

If you want to play with the big boys, then being a Tier 1 Client with Ferrari is the only way, that means buying a lot of Ferrari from a dealership, participating in FXX program, Corse Clienti, Challenge etc.

If you MUST have a 488 though, perhaps one of those fractional ownership clubs might be a solution.

Kind Regards.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    great info, thank you.

paulchua likes this.
  8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Please understand there's only you who can decide the best way to obtain a Ferrari

Leasing a 488 is the complete opposite of any other brand, like Mercedes BMW, Toyota, etc. With those brands, you're essentially NEVER in an equity position, meaning the amount of the lease buyout is always greater than the value of the car. This is because their finance arms (Mercedes Benz financial, BMWFS, etc) artificially inflate residual values as a promotion/means of moving cars.

Ferrari does NOT do this, in fact the opposite. They lower their car's residual value and you BUY the car at the end of the lease term (or even before it if you decide to do so) to recapture that equity you paid into. This also provides a hedge in case of accidents (closed end) so you don't get hit with an additional $30K-50K in depreciation. (Here's a classic example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Ferrari-458-Spider-310k-MSRP/123202482310?hash=item1caf70b086:g:aMMAAOSwv5NbKrt4)

There are many in the Ferrari world who have inherited their wealth, so they simply don't care or have no financial acumen. A few hundred grand loss means nothing to them, or they don't know how to invest, so cash it is upfront.

Some decide to pay a deposit upfront, finance a depreciating asset, and use the other funds to invest and receive a rate of return far greater than 3-4%.

There is no one size fits all, be your own judge and decide accordingly.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Very good post above. Just know that no matter what you do, owning a new Ferrari will cost you 25-40k a year. Period. If you can’t stomach that- buy something else. Very rare to make money on a Ferrari unless you buy a la ferrari, etc.

paulchua and boobernackle like this.
  10. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    For sure! But is the best and fun therapy you can buy!

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #36 SoCal to az, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    im not sure why you would post the personal information of someone here. How is it relevant to the discussion?

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, I believe the poster is asking his question in good faith.
    To OP: I wish you well, hope you accomplish your goal.

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Where to start.

RaceMx-M3 banned until Friday for promoting his website here and for having his website listed as a part of his name, which then shows in the header of all of his posts. A MAJOR no-no.

Andial - warned, no ban. Posted information that was available on the web, which he obviously found based on race's posts. But still bad form, info deleted.

C'mon guys, play nice.

D

Andial likes this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This thread brings back memories of Mr. Reza ( Blue Sky ) Mokhtarian. Call me crazy.

15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I hate when people come on here asking if buying a Ferrari is a good investment. Come on you Bozos! By the car for what it is.
    Drive it and enjoy it like a true owner into the brand
    Unless you are on the list for a limited edition model or own one already you are just a wannabe.

16. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Sorry all, OP was acting shady unnecessarily. Wanted to clear up their reliability.