What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not.

Discussion in '360/430' started by TAILWAG, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    at 146K miles, have you had any major issues that have come up?

2. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    #52 billy.gif, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Same here :)

Got her late spring of 2017 and drove over 7 000 km (+4,5k miles) during the first summer season alone. Now I'm doing my 2nd summer season with her and already have done 3000 km (~2k miles) since I got her out of "winter hibernation" at April 30th 2018. I'd drive her even more IF she would be manual, but I simply do not like driving the F1-system at busy Metropolitan area or even traffic light infested suburbs around my home.

She has already over 57k miles under her belt and those just keep on coming. As I did not buy her as an investment or such, much more as a car to enjoy my life with it. I love driving her so, so much!!

So far she has been surprisingly reliable (I come from Porsche world) with no major issues. Clutch & throw out bearing went kaput as soon as I bought her but ever since only few small items like door latch / door cables got stuck and hydraulic clutch actuator needed re-bleeding / sorting out.

I really can "underwrite" the statement of driving will keep them more reliable than storing them.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I still fail to understand how anyone can buy a beautiful driving machine and be afraid of driving it.

To me that is like having a beautiful, hot and sexy girlfriend and not touch but only look......what a waste.
    Anyway, to each his own. Not judging, just trying to understand.

I drive my F430 every chance I get.
    I have a daily driver so mine is pretty much a weekend car and I drive it pretty much every weekend.

I put on about 6K - 8K miles a year.
    I purchased my car last year at 26K miles. I now have 32K miles.

As far as clutch, remember that clutch are usually replaced around 80% wear as that's when they start popping out of gear which is your indication that the clutch is worn out and needs replacing. So for the new owners, learn how to drive the F1 transmission quickly to prolong the life of the clutch.

Note also that 360 slips clutch a lot more compared to F430.

Manual transmission is cheaper to replace the clutch compared to F1.
    Average cost for clutch replacement is between $6K to $9.5K

4. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hi Don, lol no not at all. Actual maintenance was about $15K. The rest was tired CS rims, scudding lighting floor mats and miscellaneous matters to make it the way that I wanted it. It’s fully sorted now and it’s hiw I would have ordered but from the factory. I got the car for a great price, however not had 0 maintenance records so I had a full blown maintenance performed ( everything) as well as ball joints etc... and a really nice sound system. I know $40K is a lot buts as I said earlier it’s exactly as I would ave ordered it new. I also purchased tool kit, jack kit, owners manuals spare tire. So it’s truly turn key and while I’m not looking to sell anytime soon it’s really nice. Giallo/ Nero and gated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice garage. I am in awe. No compromises with a 16M and Huracan Spyder!!

6. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    You are absolutely right - I have 3 other fun cars that get each 2k a year as well, so that is a total of 8,000 miles of smiles a year - that is quite a bit, but, who cares. Smiles > Miles. :)

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Ninzi,

You brave enough to travel to Tax Jersey? What part of island do you reside?

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Dan how much remaining life the clutch had when you replaced it at 19,300 miles?? Because the car has now 36,500 and the wear is 18.6% so 925 miles per percentage point
    (I made a mistake on my previous calculation because I thought my car had 35,500 miles but it has actually 36,500)

So basically the clutch can last a LONG TIME if you drive t properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It was at 81% clutch wear at 19K miles when the clutch had to be replaced.

10. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Why would someone buy a car, and not drive it? It’s not like it’s some rare low production model. Weird.

11. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Don I’m in Nassau just over the Queens border

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Back in 2014, I bought a high mileage 1999 Modena....it had 21,600 miles on it. Jump ahead to 2018 and this just happened and I felt great! Image Unavailable, Please Login

AAron512, jtc360spider and one4torque like this.
  13. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    48k ... bought it with high mileage 4 years ago... I have sorted it out and the car is perfect! Drive it as often as I can. The first year almost 10k but I average 4K just due to time. Great car! You have to drive them or they will rot

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    And now 17,200 miles later the car has 18.6% clutch wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Spider Jeff

Spider Jeff Rookie

Oct 9, 2006
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff H
    45000 miles, I put 8000 miles on my gated 360 spider in a little over two years, fully sorted and just passed state inspection/emissions test with no problems. I use it three or four times a week, mostly short runs, new major/tires/brakes makes me feel confident to take it anywhere....still the best of over forty cars I’ve owned in terms of overall satisfaction and remains the only car to cure my itch to find something more fun

jtc360spider and Ninzi like this.
  16. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    I put 3,000 miles on my 360 in 4 months.

17. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    I just ticked over 50500 on my 07 F430 this week. Bought it last year with higher mileage specifically for the intention of putting many more miles and memories on it. glad to see others with the same mind set.

billy.gif, whatheheck and Ninzi like this.
  18. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The only thing I’m scared of is dying before I hit 1 million miles!

When asked, I always respond “attempting to hit 1 million before I die”. I met an 80 year old Ferrari owner today. He mentioned on his ‘91 348, he only has 27k and wished he could drive it more. I felt so bad for him. Enjoy, life is too short...I know, I’ve had the experience firsthand.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AAron512, Neil G and one4torque like this.
  19. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    nchhotu and Testarossa Sean like this.
  20. Josh P

Josh P Karting

Wow, there are some amazing numbers in here. I bought mine in May at about 26,000 km and it was one of the higher mileage cars. I'm at 28,000 km now and going on a rally tomorrow with 85 exotics that will add another 5,000 km approximately.

21. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I have about 40k miles on my F430

22. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m at 49,212, and can’t wait until it hits 50,000 so it’s completely devalued and I can enjoy it throughly without thought of resale.

Gizzi and jtc360spider like this.
  23. rob73

rob73 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    Bert
    You only live once. What's the point of getting a Ferrari and then park it permanently in the garage? Live a little bit!

jtc360spider likes this.
  24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You're not far ... Been to Queens and island many times mine

25. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    For Ferrari owners who live in the snow-belt (or anywhere with distinct 4 seasons), the biggest obstacle to driving their car is the weather. For 6 months out of the year, you can't do anything but keep the car sitting in the garage. I think this is the biggest reason why so many owners who live in these areas end up selling their cars because they can't justify the ROI. (I personally had these thoughts as well sometime after buying my first Ferrari).