Coeur d'Alene area questions ( bike trip ) | FerrariChat

Coeur d'Alene area questions ( bike trip )

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by mikesufka, Jun 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Need a little advice ...

Doing a motorcycle trip in August - starting in Spokane, WA, on a Friday morning ( August 3 ). What's the most scenic way to get to Yellowstone area? I'm looking for a good route and our plan is to stay in Jackson Hole on Sunday night ( August 5 ) - room is booked.

I thought about just heading from Spokane, WA, to Coeur D'Alene and then spending the day there ( have room booked in Coeur D'Alene on Friday night ). I do not have a room booked anywhere yet for Saturday - was thinking Missoula or Butte area.

Having said that, I wonder if we should cover more miles on Friday - like heading South to Kooskia area and spending the night there so we can take 12 up to Missoula and hit LoLo Pass and then head for Butte, MT ? Or head for Missoula or farther on Friday ?

Any ideas ?

MDS

2. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So,

We made some changes last night and added a day of travel to get to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Starting in Spokane, WA, and heading to Coeur d'Alene. We were going to stay there overnight, but now we're going to keep going South to Grangeville, Idaho, and spend the night there.

From Grangeville, Idaho, we're either going to take 12 to Lolo, MT, and then head South on 93, then 43 to Wisdom, MT, and spend the night ...

OR

Head South out of Grangeville towards Boise and then turn NE and hook up with 21 / 75 / 93 / 43 and end up in Wisdom, MT.

*** Can anyone comment on the two routes ? How much am I adding by heading towards Boise ? Is one way more scenic than the other?

Anyway, from Wisdom, MT, we'll head towards Bozeman for the night. Then head South to Jackson Hole for two nights. Going South we'll enter Yellowstone from the West. When we leave Jackson Hole, heading to Beartooth Pass and Red Lodge, we'll exit to the East.

After Red Lodge, head to Black Hills ( Sturgis Rally ) and then home to MN.

Any must see roads that I'm missing ?

MDS

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Spokane to Coeur d'Alene is so short you will be glad you moved on.

That is a lot of travel going south to Boise, but there just aren't any (passable) roads to go east in between. Grangeville down through McCall and onward to Cascade is a nice drive, further south less so. Haven't gone NE out of Boise but expect it would be nice once out of the high desert region. I think going 12 to Lolo you would get the same enjoyment factor with less miles.

Getting to West Yellowstone from Wisdom my preference would be 287 rather than the Gallatine Hwy (191). 287 would take you through Virginia City, a cool little historic town and along the Madison River (some of the best fly fishing in the world). Gallatine is ok, but views are limited, whereas 287 has wide open views. However, if the wind is blowing then 287 will beat the crap out of you.

Further east, before Black Hills, go to Devil's Tower. Very nice driving road from I-90, and the tower is neat.

4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I agree on taking 12 to Lolo. The North route from Grangeville to Wisdom is ~ 270 miles, while heading South towards Boise and back NE is ~ 430 miles. That's a lot of extra riding - maybe hit that route the next time I'm out.

We are heading to Bozeman from Wisdom and then to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole the next morning. We could take either 297 or 191 down to West entrance. Thanks for the tip.

MDS