car design thread | Page 276 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Also ask yourself if you or a loved one were hit by a car, would you want a chance at surviving? Just askin'

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

John, your probably a lot smarter than them!! No way this works. Putting a bigger front end on makes the likely chance pedestrians will go into the car rather than over it. If I wanted to kill a fly better I would use a bigger fly swatter so they are off on their study. Bigger front end, more dead people. The government types have this wrong. Does that surprise you really?? Common sense does not prevail anymore.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I read the idea was pedestrians would see a bigger front end coming better wich is just stupid reasoning. The impact zone in the front to protect from the motor is for front engine cars, so that is supposed to save the lives if you make it past the huge grill. Stupid reasoning on their part.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No one ever accused bureaucrats and rules makers of being rocket scientists. They make the rules, and the car companies comply.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No this isn't true. It has nothing to do with what the victim/pedestrian sees or doesn't see coming at them. It's once you get nailed that the regulation is supposed to cover.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Seeing how the odds are zilch to begin with, no I don't. Somewhere out there in the ether is the video of the Uber driver hitting a gal at 40 mph. It's not pretty.

jm2 likes this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well, that's not what the European standard started out as(they are the leaders of the free world now :). The original idea was when driving in cities people could see a bigger from end coming better, and I guess jump out of the way. They also added protection at the same time to protect from the hard points in the front of the car.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    To prove this regulation is BS I would like to see a test dummy get hit by a Lamborghini Countach followed by a new SUV or modern car from any brand and see which one does better.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    European standard high front ends were implemented due to higher headlight heights. That European regulation was set up due to people getting killed in cities. The idea was higher headlights would warn pedestrians of oncoming cars sooner thus allowing pedestrians to stop in time. They than added a crash zone for hard points. The rest is history. Common sense never came into play with this regulation!!

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  11. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    All this talk of regulations ruining car design is completely off the mark in my opinion. Every designer has always had to deal with packaging constraints, budget constraints, federal regulations etc., but the job remains the same: design something great! It is the designers responsibility to work around the constraints to make a great product. Some fail, and blame the constraints, others succeed. The successes prove that the constraints are not to be blamed.

Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  13. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Perhaps, but sometimes it takes a monumental effort to conform and design. How about exploding hood hinges?

https://www.popsci.com/12-gauge-shotguns/article/2006-03/hood-explodes-safety

I have also read where several manufacturers are looking at making windshield pillars of folded metal with an explosive charge inside to "unfold" the pillar into a stronger, box section beam in the event of a roll over.

The real downside to all this is the death of the used car. Cars are likely to have a useable lifespan, after which all the explosive devices would either have to be replaced or the car will need to be recycled.

Texas Forever and energy88 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Wholeheartedly agree. But it’s becoming more difficult to stand out from the crowd without being goofy. Look at Bangles latest entry.

Protouring442 likes this.
  15. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    The Cubists strike again? :eek:

of2worlds likes this.
  16. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Here are my top 10 favourite Chris Bangle Cars.

1. Fiat Coupe
    2. N/A
    3. N/A
    4. N/A
    5. N/A
    6. N/A
    7. N/A
    8. N/A
    9. N/A
    10. N/A

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In homebuilding, we call this canine design. Picture a circle of dogs sniffing each other's butts. In defense of homebuilder and car manufactures, when you have that much dough on the line, taking risks doesn't help you sleep at night.

jm2 and anunakki like this.
  19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Actually, his 6-series grew on me with time.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree, I liked elements of the concept for it too. But the boot lid ruins the production car for me, especially in side profile. The shut line allows you to imagine if it wasn’t there, and it could be a reasonably nice body. It’s also one of the last cars you can get the non turbo charged straight six, but unfortunately the driving dynamics are not up to the old standards. The rot had set in imo.

I like the Z3, even though it’s totally retro, but I don’t really think it’s his philosophy at all.

And the Phantom, but I’m pretty sure the great Karl-Heinz Kalbfell is is the BMW executive who gave Ian Cameron the autonomy to create it. Although Bangle was BMW design boss the Phantom boot didn’t stick up a mile in the air and it wasn’t hacked about with a machete. So I think he left them to it.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've never actually been in a Bangle 6-series, but my Dad got a Z4 when it first came out and that was a pretty fun car. What was the matter with the driving dynamics on the 6?

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    G. Pepper, NeuroBeaker and jm2 like this.
  24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice spindle grill? :D

jm2 likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had one of these in the Dr. Pepper color - perfect for me :) - and with nicer cast wheels, but I always thought the front end was a model of simplicity, and you could tell it was a VW without the badge. I got a LOT of compliments on that car, back when it was, "a poor man's 3 series." Now every design shouts when a whisper would communicate better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Protouring442 and jm2 like this.