458 airbag recall | FerrariChat

458 airbag recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by payneless, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. payneless

payneless Karting

Oct 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm taking my 13 458 in for maintenance and understand there is a recall on passenger side airbag which I assume they will replace . My question to the group is if when you have had these replaced were there any potential damages to the interior dash ? I understand that all years of 458 production will eventually have these replaced.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Steve,

Had my airbag replaced at my local official dealer (2011 Italia). Ferrari staff at your local dealer are highly trained and the most competent and skilled people to work on your car.

There shouldn’t be/won’t be any damage done to your car, rest assured and book your airbag replacement for peace of mind asap.

May take a little while. Not Ferrari’s fault, but when I replaced mine (September 2017), I was told airbag manufacturer had its stock stretched pretty thin.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    +1
    Just had mine done at my local dealer, no problem at all. He also told me to schedule well in advance as supply is low
    You can btw check your car (any brand) for any recalls by going to the NHTSA site:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i took out the entire dash myself to replace all the sticky buttons...it's not difficult just have to be careful not to damage leather or scratch the carbon fiber. The design of the dash parts are pretty forgiving, with mostly soft materials and the clips often have fabric wrap and foams on them to minimize rattle. If they are to remove the airbag all they have to do is remove the glove compartment, but the access is very difficult. To make one's life easier, the passenger seat can be removed or the entire dash can come out for easier access to the airbag brackets.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any photo's of your work Kiryu ?

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I had the passenger side airbag replaced in my 2013 and no issues at all from the dealer. If you are worried, talk to the service manager and or mechanic about it before it is done. Always helps to communicate.

AlfistaPortoghese and Melvok like this.
  7. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Melvok and SAFE4NOW like this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    For the record, that is NOT what it looks like when an airbag is replaced... yikes!

S

Melvok likes this.
  9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    That's correct, this is for removing sticky buttons, or more specifically, the center menu control. So unless your buttons are really fok up like mine, dont do this

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Great looks … good info.

Was it easy to undo your dashboard and install later again ?