McLaren | Page 11 | FerrariChat

McLaren

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    McLaren falling apart from poor management.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-5871773/McLaren-F1-staff-revolt-25p-chocolate-bars-given-reward-hard-work.html

https://www.msn.com/en-za/sport/motorsports/mclaren-staff-could-strike-over-freddos-clueless-bosses/ar-AAyZV1H

Such is the "toxic" atmosphere at McLaren that staff would consider going on strike were it not for the fear of losing their jobs.

Last week it emerged that all is not well at McLaren.

Sportsmail reported that staff at Woking are planning a "revolt" as they are furious at the "incompetence of their leaders."

The Daily Mail's report added that bosses had 'appealed to staff to build prototypes out of wood if they had any ideas how' to fix what is wrong with McLaren's MCL32.

"That shows how clueless they are," the source added. "They told us at the post-Canadian Grand Prix debrief that they knew what was wrong with the car but not how to fix it. They ask us when they are on six-figure salaries.

"We call four of the management the “Untouchables”. There is Eric Boullier, racing director, Matt Morris, chief engineer, Simon Roberts, chief operating officer, and David Probyn, operations director. Some of them just walk about chatting. We have no respect for them.

"People are beginning to boycott the debriefs because they are a joke. The atmosphere is toxic. We would like to go on strike but people fear for their jobs."

Bas likes this.
  2. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's so sad to hear that. McLaren was once a very good team.
    Ron Dennis must be shaking his head...

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ron Dennis might well be shaking his head but it isn't like McLaren were doing a whole lot better before his departure. When was the last time they won a championship? Or a race? Besides, his departure was entirely his own fault as I understand it.

The thing is, McLaren as a team still seem just as smug as they were when they were winning. The nonsense about how good their car would be once they got shot of Honda being a case in point. If you want to improve you first need to be honest about where you're not good enough.

By the way, I'll happily have any spare chocolate if they don't want it.

Igor Ound likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    McLaren suffered the aftermath of the spygate scandal, and Ron Dennis was moved aside.
    But I saw his dismissal as CEO and subsequent departure from the company as a boardroom coup.
    A common scenario in business unfortunately, where entrepreneurs are evicted by investors from companies they created from scratch. .

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ron Dennis didn't create McLaren but he was responsible for its incredible growth and success from the 1980's forward. He was "moved aside" due to some maneuvers he attempted when Mansour Ojjeh was dealing with some serious health issues.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I know, technically McLaren was the child of Bruce McLaren. Although there was some initial success after his death (Fittipaldi and Hunt WDCs), the team wasn't very healthy when sponsor Philip Morris (Marlboro) proposed Dennis to take it over. The rest is history.
    I have also heard of the "maneuvers", and Dennis trying to find new partners in the group. I think it got very personal between 2 old partners, and Ojjeh obtained support from the Bahrainis to ride RD out of the company.

375+ likes this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They should sack alonso and hire Stroll, at least the frog would get an excuse as why the car is so slow!!!

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Boullier email to Woking after French GP qualifying:

“No more candy bars!”

stavura and william like this.
  10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The workers should reply all “No more Boullier“

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I didn't watch qualifs today, but reading the results, it seems that McLaren has reached new depths this afternoon.
    The switch to Renault hasn't solved anything. There must be a fair amount of head scratching tonight.

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Its the usual we have an aero problem, we need to identify so we do not repeat in 2019. The team are rudderless and the stupid press releases do not help.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I had a smile to myself, listening to Pierre-Henri Vergne (ex-TR) on TF1 AUTOMOTO (French channel) saying Daniel Ricciardo may join McLaren.
    According to him, McLaren has "very good installations" and disposes of a strong budget.
    Eric Boullier was next to him at the time.
    I don't think Red Bull is lacking in terms of "installations".

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    McLaren held crisis meeting at Paul Ricard

JUNE 25, 2018

Stoffel Vandoorne has played down an apparent 'crisis meeting' that took place in the McLaren motor home on Sunday.

Reports suggest the beleaguered team's entire race crew met inside the motor home at Paul Ricard, amid reports some staff are planning a revolt.

"I can't tell you exactly what was said, but there was a little word of encouragement for the whole team," said McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne.

"All the staff were there. It's difficult times for us, but everyone is pushing and we hope it gets better soon," he told the RTBF broadcaster.

The crisis meeting came at the end of an abysmal weekend for McLaren, whose orange Renault-powered car was among the slowest in the entire field.

Asked if he would prefer to be at home rather than running around at the back, Fernando Alonso insisted: "No, I prefer to be here.

"I am one of 20 drivers doing the best job in the world. It's true we have not been very competitive, but we are here working, doing something, trying," he told Spanish media.

"It's true we were very, very bad, but I'm seventh or eighth in the championship so I must be doing something," Alonso added.

And he backed McLaren to improve the situation soon.

"I trust the team," said Alonso.

"We were very uncompetitive this weekend, but I know that new things are coming for the next races."

However, rumours persist that Alonso will call it a day at the end of the year, perhaps choosing instead to head a new McLaren-branded Indycar team for 2019.

For the F1 team, McLaren is in talks with Daniel Ricciardo, but also waiting in the wings is impressive junior driver Lando Norris.

"We are focused on Stoffel and Fernando," team boss Eric Boullier said at Paul Ricard.

"But I certainly will not wait to see if Santa Claus will bring me a driver," he added.

"It's premature to talk about Lando Norris but everything is possible. I can't say anything more on this subject right now," he added.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Heads need to roll at McLaren. I would start with management.

dflett and william like this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #266 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Amazing to think of the continuing turnover in Premier league managers..they need a bit of this at McLaren.

Eric,it's time mate ,and please take Nando with you.:eek:

I guess you know where to put any left over Freddo's?

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    After the fight for worst driver (obviously between Stroll and Grosjean, for those not looking at F1), there is also a fight for worst team - and here the two contenders are (obviously again) McLaren and Williams.
    McLaren management has been good hiding their shotcomings under a Honda smokescreen in the previous years, but that leaves them lost with no excuse now...

william and 375+ like this.
  18. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I agree with your assessment of the moment, but I keep pointing out that the cumulative results of the entire season are what matters.

McL is still fifth out of ten in constructors points...they are twelve points ahead of FI and twelve behind Renault...they have more than double the points that STR/Honda has. Their job for the remainder of the season is to try to maintain that position in order to receive more prize money. The way the season has been going for the back half of the grid, that maintenance can be as simple as staying out of trouble regardless of the car’s performance.

They are right to keep pushing through these troubled times...how successful they’ll be remains to be seen.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just checking, they are 12 points in front of FI and 13 in font of Haas, but actually 22 after Renault. And they are the only ones (with Williams) not having scored any point during the last three GP.
    They could be challenged by both FI and Haas in a few races if this trend goes on.
    TR and Sauber are "junior teams" with non experienced drivers, so they are not expected to be in the same league as McLaren.

20. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    You are correct. I looked at standings on my phone and somehow ‘saw’ 52 for Renault...they, in fact, have 62.

As much as I really haven’t cared for him ever...Alonso is the driver that can make the difference. Stroll flat spots and gives up...Alonso has a car issue, he drags that thing back to the pits on the off chance he can rejoin. Such details will be the difference.

Bas, jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As an aside:
    In the drivers bullpen for the post race interviews Alonso was talking to the press and clearly wasn't celebrating his result. Lance strolled up to him in mid-sentence and tried to give him a pat on the back or something--as if to say "great dice we had out there bro". What a tool.

Bas, TifosiUSA and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There are 3 problems right now

1) The team is lost. They cannot find the answer to their problems and are struggling to understand why. They cannot test so it's trial and error at the track. They see themselves going backwards while their data shows they should be moving forward.

2) The team's morale is in the crapper. Firing some key long term people didn't help. Unhappy employees are difficult to motivate. When it shows up in the press you know its 10 times worse on the factory floor.

3) The team's management is poor which is driving number 1 and number 2. Poor communication, poor leadership, poor understanding of the technical situation.

Change number 3 and at least you have a chance to change 1 and 2.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep.

I can't see anyone enjoying working for Mclaren right now. At Honda they had a scapegoat...that is now gone. And the team is still doing ****. With the team loudly proclaiming they had the best chassis and fantastic aero, just a **** engine...for them to fight outside the points, ****, last place at the French GP, and not even getting out of Q1 , is a massive slap in the face. NO teams' chassis deteriorates that quickly, nor does everyone elses advance that much. The team is in marginally better shape than Williams.

2021 can't come soon enough.

william likes this.
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Screw em! Who cares? I’d rather see Williams recover than them.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

A few (or many, can't remember) questioned the Boullier acquisition by Mclaren a few years ago.

Lotus (where he was before) went to complete **** in record time. Mclaren has gone the same way.

Igor Ound likes this.