Paint protection film | FerrariChat

Paint protection film

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by AussieSurfer, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AussieSurfer

AussieSurfer Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Shane Dorney
    Is there a preferred brand. My dealer says Suntek is old technology but I’m not entirely sure he knows.
    Another installer says Xpel Someone else uses Hexis from Europe.
    Heard 3M is hard to remove.
    Getting a bit lost so appreciate any input. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I had the entire front, side mirrors, rocker panels and rear bumper covered of my 2003 360 Spider covered with Expel Ultimate Plus. I highly recommend it. I was able to repair a small tear that I received from a rock on the rocker panel with a heat gun. The stone did not touch the paint but did leave a 1" tear in the film. With patience and the heat gun I was able to repair the film to a point that it is not noticable. I as amazed at its ability to really "self-heal".

Also note that the installation is critical. My installer used sheets of film, not a pre-cut kit. He cut the film to closely fit the emblems, shields and lights. He also brought the film to the end of each panel and bent it slightly around the edges. There are no noticeable gaps around those areas and it is extremely difficult to see that I have the film installed.

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I currently have Suntek on the 458, prior had Expel Ultimate Plus on the prev. 360. Suntek is a bit clearer, but I like the Expel better from the self heal characteristics& improved impact protection. Suntek bruises easily. Was told that the glue utilized on Expel is a new formulation & harder to remove. Don't know if that is true or not. I'm seriously thinking on removing the Suntek on at least the bumper and front fenders & replace with Expel.

4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    A friend did something similar with his 2011 Corvette. He had 3m (non-self healing) installed when he purchased the car and when he saw the craftmanship of my 360 Spider installation had his old 3m product removed and replaced by the same company that did mine. His result equally as nice as mine.

5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    About a month ago Expel released an updated version of their ultimate which as luck has it was about six weeks after I had them do one of my cars. Shops should be getting the new stuff about now.

6. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    C7 XPEL 430 Sunguard. Both look great. Sunguard guys say XPEL sucks, XPEL guys say Sunguard sucks.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bob in Texas likes this.
  7. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Suntek is also self healing and hydrophobic so not sure it's old tech but it is more optically clear and is a bit more stretchy then Xpel. Really the difference boils down to the installer doing a quality job.

Xpel is much better at marketing their products then Suntek so they always seem to be what the consumer wants, but most installers I talk to prefer the Suntek for it's ease of installation and looks.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure I would want to have clear wrap with new glue making it "harder to remove". Sometimes it looks like folks don't know these wraps have a relatively short life and need to be pulled off. Base paint on bumpers and plastic panels are notorious for less adhesion than on metal panels. And then there's the undocumented re-sprays on the new cars at ports of entry. With all the stretching and heating of the wrap on the complex bumper shapes to get superior adhesion there is risk in pulling some of the finish on removal. This was told to me by a well known detailer who experiences it with these cars. That said, most of my car has the film just because it keeps nicks off the paint. I see it as a necessary evil and would not do an entire car unless it was not a keeper.

9. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I went with Suntek Ultra on my 458 due to it having less orange peel than the Xpel. It looks undetectable on my Nero. Xpel is thicker than Suntek which is why I use it on my daily driver, where protection is more important since I drive it much more often than the 458
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing likes this.