Anyone else mow their own yard? | FerrariChat

Anyone else mow their own yard?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by piratepress, Jun 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Recently built a new house in a new neighborhood and cut the grass for the first time today with my push mower. New neighbor comes over and asks why I don't pay someone else to cut it, or at least buy a riding mower? His logic is that if I can afford a Ferrari, I can afford to pay someone else or buy a riding mower.

Personally, I like the accomplishment of doing it myself, and using a push mower gives me a great full-body workout. Just curious if I'm weird, or if anyone else feels the same?

Wade and bball16 like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We have a guy do the front yard. I do the back yard with an old school manual reel mower for two reasons. One, it's good exercise. Two, the back yard is the dog's domain and the wife doesn't trust strangers back there.
    T

one4torque and wax like this.
  3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I mow my lawn myself. Its 4acres of lawn area and I use a ride on.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tell the guy to mind his own damn business

Jedi

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    There aren't any yard services here worth a crap, so I do it myself. I have a zero turn mower and it goes quickly.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I used to do it but it was taking so much time on a Saturday etc I decided to let someone do it going forward.
    .it took at least 5 companies till I found one who does it perfectly ... Just have to make sure nicer cars are off driveway

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I do my own....sometimes....... I've actually toyed with the idea of hiring someone to at least keep the front up. I don't mind doing it so much but, especially this time of year, it seems that either I'm busy or the weather is lousy so my front yard currently looks like a disaster. WAY overgrown.

8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#8 NbyNW, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    I do mine. Being out of town now I got our landscaper to cut it a couple times. It’ll be interesting to see how they did. If ok I may turn it over to them. It takes me 3+ hours with weed whacking trim stuff and blowing off the drive and patios.

Edit: hope their cost is reasonable too. Will make my decision easier.

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Gonna say? The last 6 words of your 2nd sentence are probably superfluous, unless you're either superhuman or a glutton for punishment. ;)

Yeah, I mow my own lawn as well. Only about 3/4 an acre (if that), but almost none of it is flat & I use a push mower. Thank God for 4 wheel power assist on the Husqvarna!

10. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    When I was a kid I mowed lawns around the neighborhood. I was 13 when i started. Push mower and hand clippers for edging. Saved and got a sears power mower and edger. Boy did I love those.

Use a service these days.

11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I was (so have the equipment) and am the lawn service in charge of the mowing, pruning, deadheading, herbicide and pesticide application, leaf removal, snow removal, gardening, gutters, windows, dishes (lol), and compost production (14-20 yard pile of fall leaves along with food scraps and seasonal lawn debris converts to a few yards of sifted black gold as the season progresses).

With horticulture as a hobby,I don't get the connection of “has money for nice vehicle , shouldn’t care to or need to labor in the yard”, if that is what the inquisitive neighbor is implying. Not much different than if you were also an artist and he had asked you why you paint paintings yourself rather than commissioning them , since you can afford to as a Ferrari owner.... :rolleyes:

The Husqvarna four wheel drive 22” has been a decent unit, which is great for inclines/ditches/etc. We also have a Toro ProLine 2 cycle, Exmark 36” walk behind, and Ariens Zoom 34.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Dang, Ron, you are THE MAN! I did all that when we were first married. As we've aged & become more fiscally blessed, the Boss Woman has let me subcontract those out with the exception of composting, cooking (which I enjoy), watering the roses /veggies and mowing/tending the back. Our neighbors dog ran away when the gardeners mistakenly left the back yard gate open. Was a dickens of a time chasing that hound down. So, I don't want people back there. In addition to a push mower, I use weed cutter like this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Like a scene out of Cool Hand Luke!
    T

13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’ve got an old scythe that we’ve had forever. I want to mount it on a wall in my garage. Cant image swinging it. Keep the dogs and everyone else away!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

John_K_348 likes this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I used to. St. Augustine grass here in FL sucks. I like the bermuda stuff...

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It is an invasive weed near as I can tell, but, it does grow in our well-shaded back yard, and I don't have to waste water on it. I find it easier to cut with the weed cutter than the reel mower. But, am not sure I would do so if it covered the full 1/3 acre of our plot...T

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well bermuda is used for golf courses here in FL and it's pretty nice when controlled. St. Augustine is terrible and is the norm for FL yards.

19. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Had a small landscaping biz when i was a kid in the 70's. Interestingly prices have barely risen since then for cutting. At least around here. It amazed me that people would pay me so much for what to me was ez money. In fact i fell in love with the area i live in now, cutting lawns there.
    So i have a tractor, and its not so bad, but honestly not sure it pays. 2 acres, lots of trimming.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Simple answer - "Beats therapy [wink]"

I grew up taking care of lawns & hedges, cutting wood too many every-2-Saturdays to count.

Moved 3 months ago. Long term projects lie ahead ;) Damn right I'll mow the greem stuff - I ain't mowin' these rocks.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

21. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    We have half an acre, and mow/manicure the yard with a push mower ourselves, for the very reasons you cited. It looks better than most of the professionally maintained lawns we see. because we give it the kind of hands-on attention that most professionals don't.

one4torque likes this.
  22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Always have, goin' on 42 years and 4 houses later. Some yard were bigger than others, but now I'm cutting a little patch in FL that's all St. Augustine, and when you treat it right, looks really good. I can understand how some might be annoyed by it, but I've found it's pretty easy to tend as long as you don't have a lot of foot traffic on it. It's not really very resistant to wear and tear.

I enjoy cutting the grass, always have. Right now just have a john deer self propelled mower that I push around without using the "self propelled" assist.

When I was cutting a 1.5 acre yard the was mostly zoysia, I used a riding mower. Otherwise it's been my trusty John Deere mower, which is now going on 20 years old, or the Sears mower it replaced, that did the 1st 15-20 years.

D

23. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Never entered my mind to pay in my life until recently....when this hill got a whole lot steeper overnight.

John_K_348 likes this.
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yard guys are at $135. Takes three guys an hour. It takes me 3+ hours so time is right. More than I was hoping for but fair.

Like D ^ I’ve always done it myself. Still debating... while the old John Deere is ready to go.

25. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Labor crisis is driving prices in the industry up...rapidly. I'd go into detail, but it wouldn't be in the best interest of the thread due to P&R content.

People aren't ready to pay $75.00 per man hr. for lawn & landscape services, but that's where we're headed here in my neck of the woods.

bball16 likes this.