Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, Greg, exactly. As said above: don't expect too many new things, but a good book nevertheless, dealing mainly with "Enzo the man and his racing passion", so mainly dealing with himself, racing and his drivers. Also the background of his industrial endeavours, but very few things about the road cars.
    Rgds

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes- very good book

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    I can't wait for the new Magnum P.I. to start. I hoping it will be a huge hit. if it is then that's GREAT for us because that means there will be a whole new generation that will want to own a 308. the only bad part is in the trailer it looks like it will get totaled at some point during the show. let hope they fix and keep it in. at least for a season or two.

I wonder how many they bought/borrow to do the filming of the new show.

All I know is I am VERY happy I got mine now, just in case the price skyrockets because of the show.

Formula Uno likes this.
  5. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    You're smoking crack if you think the value of a car will skyrocket because of a reboot that will turn out to be a super-mediocre, middle of the road network TV show.

Rosey, peteficarra, rjlloyd and 5 others like this.
  6. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Where did you buy your crystal bowl? I would like to get one too;)

7. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Why there is your problem right there fellas.....every good gypsy knows it is a crystal ball....not to be confused with your wife's waterford crystal bowl! :D You had better put that back before she finds out!

rjlloyd and Formula Uno like this.
  8. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    It only takes two guys who want the same car to cause a stampede. Remember when a VW micro bus sold for over $100k at Barrett Jackson. Next week everybody wanted one! If the show awakens a couple buyers to the 308 series it would only take one bidding battle to cause a rush. I'm not planning on that happening but I don't think the idea is ridiculous. Pass me the pipe.

miketuason likes this.
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am of the belief that 308s are undervalued, but also believe there is more at work than just a lack of awareness.

My belief is that the car is an awkward spot in the marketplace; too expensive for most hobbyists and insufficiently exotic for private museum owners.

There is all the talk about how expensive air-cooled Porsches are, despite the huge numbers made, but the reality is that except for the ultra-rare, ultra-desirable variants, most still are below the value of our Ferraris. The Vetroresina is our analog and Vetroresina prices are quite high.

Why I also believe that the 308s day is still coming, that is that people who saw their first 308 at age fifteen year have yet to hit their peak buying power of around age 55. Its a moment when a lot of people just say, "screw the money; I always wanted one."

As for the ultrarare cars, we Ferrari owners have the proverbial poster child going up for auction in August:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1962-ferrari-250-gto-chassis-3413-to-be-auctioned-in-monterey.578653/

Formula Uno likes this.
  10. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If we could all just agree to destroy about 1/2 of the 308's out there, the values would probably go way up ;)
    If the values do increase dramatically, it would affect the way I use the car. I like to drive the car without too much gilt.

Formula Uno likes this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    If there were only thirty-six 308s made, I bet it would now be one of the most valuable Ferrari's ever made.

ferrariowner likes this.
  12. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    For those that like more gilt... there is always the George Barris gold 308

13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well, there's one down!

Formula Uno likes this.
  14. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  15. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Brian I think your analysis is right on the money.

I would add that the cost of repair for 308s vs 911s is quite high. That is in part due to the shops that gouge for service (some Porsche shops do that too), the Ferrari tax on parts (unless you know that a Bosch injector in a blue and white box is the same as the one in the yellow and black box but for half the price), and the massive amount of information vis-a-vis fix-it books from Bentley, Pelican, etc. available for the 911.

I was an idiot when I bought my 308 almost 2 years ago. AN IDIOT. Now I'm finally inching the dunce cap from my head because of all the time I have spent studying the 308.

I can tell you this about perceived value of 80s Ferrari vs 80s Porsche and I say this because I own and have crawled around both—Porsche is way better made than Ferrari, at lease when comparing my 84 308GTS QV with my 87 Carrera.

derekw and Jbrauer like this.
  16. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I'm not convinced that the show will have any real effect on the 308 market. However, if it does, it will only be in a positive way.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I kind of agree with you. However, the Ferrari "vintage" market is unpredictable. It can skyrocket overnight. Short of an aggressive position vs the Porsche which is more conservative appreciation market.

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    All you guys need to do is wait for the day I sell mine because values will certainly skyrocket the day after. Of course I have no intention of selling at this time but if someone came along and did a Tonya Harding on my left knee what choice would I have? :oops:

19. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We have an original 85 Carrera, and while its certainly well built, I believe our 308 GTB to be every bit as well constructed. Perhaps because its an original car that has always been taken care of. It is also as reliable as the Porsche. Where the Ferrari shines when compared to the Porsche(which we love, BTW), is that it always feels much more special when we take it out for a drive-more dramatic, more exotic and a car that makes every drive special.

SpyderGT, cnpapa24 and rob lay like this.
  20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree on the drama factor.

21. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    SO TRUE HAHAHA what a waste of a 308

22. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    Hi Archer911, well I can say I never owned a 911, but I have 9 friends (one Female) that do. They love them, one even tracks it, and they all drive the hell out of them. but I can say I until I got my 308 I personally only knew one person that owned (2017 F12) a Ferrari. That car is a garage queen (sad) mainly because I think he is afraid to drive an almost 800HP car.
    So when it comes to trying to compare a 911 to a 308 (Porsche to Ferrari) you really can't do it. On my way to work or in my everyday driving I see at least a dozen 911s, about 3 dozen Porsche trucks, and countless Panamerica. ForzaV12, hit the nail right on the head. When you are driving a Ferrari (any model) it real is a special experience. i'm not trying to sound like a snob about it. I am just stating the obvious. I see Porsche's everyday, all day. the only time I ever see a Ferrari is when I go in my garage lol, or when I go to an FCA event. And maybe one on the road about once every 2 or 3 months. I know the Porsche's preform great and are probably 10x more reliable, but 911 are a dime a dozen. whether if you are lucky enough to drive a Ferrari, or when you watch one pass you on the road it is ALWAYS an experience, as the driver its the thrill and the looks we get, or as a watcher as one goes by.
    There are times when I am out with my 308 that other drives actually try and take pics of my car while we are driving at highway speeds, they beep, give you thumbs up, and try and stay side by side for as long as they can. in all my 35 years of driving I have never seen anyone do that to any 911 on the road.

pizzadude, ForzaV12 and Formula Uno like this.
  23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I TOTALLY AGREE. I'm a car guy and even I don't look at Porsche's when I see them.

They are just another car to me.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the figures explain this quite easily.
    From 1975 to 1989, Ferrari built "about 21684" 3X8 of all variants (including the Italian market only models: 208s, 208 Turbos, and Turbo Intercooler). I say "about 21684" because there are still some slight doubts on the totals for some specific models. (Vetros and carbed GTBs for instance). But 21684 is accurate enough, perhaps 100 less, or 100 more.
    In the same time frame, Porsche built 200.000 911s of all variants and versions (198.414 G - Series 911 from 1973 to 1988...).

So....a 3x8 is ten times more rare than a 911. A much more rare car, not in the same dimension. It cannot be compared, even if prices, performances, etc...are close. It is truly a special car, a Porsche isn't (even if it is a very nice performing machine, well thought, well built and whatever...). And remember: German cars are built with the brain, Italian cars are built with the heart. No, it isn't the same thing.

Rgds

25. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Direct comparo-both legendary sportscars, one an efficient example of German sterile precision, the other a full blooded, Pininfarina penned poster child of Italian passion!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login