Found at a friend's workshop in Italy... 250 GTO right door! | FerrariChat

Found at a friend's workshop in Italy... 250 GTO right door!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ferrarip4, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Hello all. I haven't been active for a while because I was busy with many projects. But think this post will be very interesting!

I have been on holidays in Italy this month and just visited a friend of mine.

My friend's family have been restoring and recreating Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo & other exotics for 3 generations... But I was very surprised to find this in their warehouse: a right door of a 250 GTO!! They told me it is a genuine one and I don't have reason to doubt it.

Based on traces of paint (light blue & red) in the inside part of the door (see pics) and looking at vintage pictures we believe that this is the door of 3445GT! The door has the holes for the Le Mans lights. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the right side of the car entered by Scuderia Serenissima at the Le Mans race in 1962, but I have a picture of the same car raced by Jackie Stewart & Chris Amon at the 12hrs of Reims in 1964. You can clearly see the door & lights...

My friend told me that his family got the door before he started working for their business in 1997. They don't remember when they got it but he told his grandfather & dad worked on several GTO's in the 1970's. Of course they don't remember which ones. I believe them because in these days GTO's were just old racing cars... It's possible that they got the door after the accident when the GTO was rebodied (in 76 according to Barchetta). Now the grandfather is dead and the dad does not have a precise recollection...

What do you think? Could it be from another GTO? I don't believe so but am open to more information/opinions...

Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  3. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Great find. Based on the current GiGaGaGa-price tags for a GTO sell it for $$1 million :) to Mr. Cox. It makes the coachwork of his car more genuine...;)

Christian.Fr and tomgt like this.
  5. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I think Mr Cox's car rebuilt by Ferrari Classiche is a bit of a miss... He definitely needs the genuine parts. Congrats by the way for brokering the Villa d'Este Coppa d'Oro to the Spiess family ;-)

NürScud likes this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Thank you!

7. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I've been informed that there are more GTO body parts (probably from the 3445GT)!

A left door, bonnet and boot lid!

More pics to follow...

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    The shade of the Blue traces seen in the photos from your original post seem to more closely resemble that of 3387 GT (rather than 3445 GT’s).

9. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I was confirmed it's a non metallic blue. Note that colours can appear different because of your screen and that paint ages too. The history (accident in 76) matches with 3445...

10. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    3387GT at the 1962 12hr of sebring. Looks like a grey metallic blue... Also the number lights don't match the door whereas 3445 is the perfect fit Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    NürScud likes this.
  12. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    So realistically what would these parts be worth to an owner? I feel like they would quite easily add six-figures in value to the car being able to say it has its original body (if not more). That being said, Mr. Cox has a bit of an edge being there is basically a market of one for the parts. Maybe consign them to RM in Monterey so they can offer a GTO and a half? ;)

13. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    I believe it should be Mr Cox who gets these parts as he's the current custodian of 3445. I am trying to get in touch with him to see if he has an interest in them... A bonnet, 2 doors & a boot don't make a "half" car ;-)

malcolmjl likes this.
  14. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    PM sent

ferrarip4 likes this.
  15. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    3445GT did not have its original GTO body when it was damaged in 1976. It had already been rebodied by Drogo in the mid '60s and was rebodied again after the accident in '76. If this door is from the original body, what are the chances that it will fit onto a car that has been rebodied twice since the door was last attached to it?

16. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    You took the words out of my mouth.

17. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    After the damaged Drogo body was removed, the car was rebodied (wrongly) by Allegretti. If there is a proof that the door and the other parts are from the original 3445GT, these parts should be reunited with the car. I say reunited and not mounted on the restored car.

Jota 5084 and wbaeumer like this.
  18. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    I imagine this will fill a huge gap in the car's provenance too. One of the biggest complains the car gets its the accident history and unoriginal body work, I have to imagine that having the doors, boot and bonnet from Le mans will mostly quell those complains and boost the value by quite a bit. Literally worth its weight in gold to Mr. Cox.

BMWairhead likes this.