Pista vs Pista aperta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista vs Pista aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BG23, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, 100% agree, but then why buying "a car as extreme as a Pista" if you don't care track performances? Why not a Cali T or a Portofino? I think that if you buy a Pista is because you like to have a car with extreme performances: this doesn't mean you can drive it, but you (at least) like to know that you are owning the top street legal track beast cabriolet available.

Then, coming back to my question: why everyone doesn't give a damn to own an extreme car that hasn't the body stiffness that such a car should have?

This said the Pista Aperta (as the Speciale Aperta) is a wonderful car, but it's very strange that (almost) nobody cares about that.

I'm a poor driver with no track skills at all, but I would be very embarassed when describing my new 0.5 M extreme car to my friends!

I think (and hope) that this Pista Aperta will be the last mid engine extreme Ferrari cabriolet without the correct body stiffness

ciao

LVP488 and Makuono like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    LOL!
    Personally, I take no pleasure in having a roof down. I am not a fan of sunburns, wind noise and buffeting and especially of decapitation in case of an overturn. :p

uhn2000 and Solid State like this.
  3. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Coupe. Yes. No. Yes.

4. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Sunburn is easily avoidable with suntan lotion, but if you don’t like having the top down overall then we’re coming from two different planets...

tekaefixe likes this.
  5. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    It would be great if issues are fixed in the next generation. Let’s face it though, the majority of these cars won’t be driven much anyway and not very hard when driven.

It’s unfortunate that you would be embarrassed when it comes time to brag about the Aperta to friends if you purchased one. My friends are over that kind of stuff. We pick vehicles we enjoy, not for bragging rights. Having the best version of the Ferrari as an Aperta for me would far outweigh the negatives. I don’t track my personal cars, and I love having the top down. It would be a win/win for me.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It would seem so; anything above 20 centigrade annoys me a lot!!! I have sunroofs in almost all of my cars, but I open them only during the night, or when the sky is overcast. And when I am going slowly. Over 80 al fresko? Bad idea...

7. Maadalfa

Maadalfa Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    This discussion is quite absurd. The Aperta not stiff enough??? Roof down no extra fun? This car is a damn roller coaster and you don't want to drive a roller coster with closed roof, don't you? Just take a sneak:

8. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I have had the distinct honor and pleasure of owning and driving both the 458 Speciale and the SA. In spirited canyon drives, the Speciale was superior in handling to a measurable degree. The SA was however, the most complete and beautiful Fcar that I have ever owned. I would expect nothing less from the Pista Aperta....which is why it has my vote hands down!

tekaefixe and StoryBook like this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m curious if anyone thinks that Ferrari may possibly opt for a targa top for the Pista A (like the LaFerrari Aperta) as opposed to a convertible?

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Sounds great , a targa with a glass engine bay :)

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Why would they do that? It is already basically a targa top.

tekaefixe likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I really doubt that, the Pista is very closely derived from the GTB (no structural change, only front and rear re-work) and the Aperta will probably be the same compared to the regular spider.

Albert-LP likes this.
  13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm sorry as I wasn't able to translate it correctly in English: "embarassed" is not correct. In any case I don't rate the V8 Aperta stiffness suited for such cars, while it's perfect for a Portofino. Today there are materials that allow you to have a light and stiff spider. With aluminium and steel you cannot have both, in an open body spider: you have to choose between stiffness and lightness.

This doesn't affect the fact that Speciale Aperta and Pista Aperta are wonderful cars that you can enjoy with top down, of course.

But on the V8 mid engine cars I prefer the berlinetta body: open body for less extreme cars (with or without the "correct" stiffness)

ciao

theplanner, LVP488 and REALZEUS like this.
  14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    In my opinion:

With the Spider top up, the coupe looks better; with the Spider top down, the Spider looks better. I drive my 488 Spider with the top down about 90% of the time. It can be driven comfortably with the top down when the temps are in the low 40s or high 30s F, and when the temps are in the 90s F. I absolutely cherish the time driving the Spider on a beautiful day on a winding road in the hills on near the water.

Fact:

The 488 Spider is heavier than the 488 GTB. The 488 Spider with the top down has somewhat greater chassis flex than the 488GTB, but the difference is not major (the 488 Spider chassis is much stiffer than the 458 Spider chassis -- I've driven both). The 458 Spider has somewhat softer suspension and shifting settings than the 458 Italia (I'm told the same is true for the Speciale and Speciale Aperta, but I have not driven them). So far as I can tell, the 488 GTB and 488 Spider have the same settings.

I expect that the foregoing will be true for the 488 Pista and 488 Pista Aperta.

wrs likes this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The structure of the 488 has been improved to the point that the spider can cope with the suspension settings of the GTB (i.e. the spider does not need softer suspension settings to mitigate its degraded stiffness).
    The Pista is getting "harder" suspension than the GTB though, so I do not know whether the spider could cope with these settings.

bobbyd likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Some people are very sensitive to the feeling of a really stiff structure vs one that's not quite as stiff. I tend to fall into that group. I was always a spider person and then I tried the coupe and I have not gone back. I just like how it feels better. My roads have lots of little bumps and "nooks and crannies". However, if they do such a car, it will be very special.

Bundy and Albert-LP like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ever get sunburn on your scalp? Very painful. Suntan lotion useless for that. Open top in Ferrari wearing a ball cap not a good look for me. We are from different planets but that's why there are many planets. I can remember growing up and being stuck in the back seat of convertibles. Bugs in your mouth, wind tearing your eyes and howling past your ears, fizzed out hair. Absolutely hated it. Would never own one. But I think the LaF Aperta has such a small open top that would work - at night. :)

stereotaipei and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Not bald(ing) here, so never had sunburn on my scalp. No back seats in a 458/488. Sunglasses work for keeping wind out of your eyes, but it hasn’t been an issue for me in the Ferrari 458. Sounds like you were tortured, lol. I do have to keep the windows up when my GF is in the Spider. It’s sort of annoying... ;P

tekaefixe likes this.
  19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    If only all problems in life were this great. Pista in a coupe or convertible. Both will be amazing, none of us will be feeling any issues with performance or stiffness I’m sure. My advice would be to get whichever one you can and drive it until the wheels fall off. I have a 488 challenge (which is a monster) so I think an Aperta/Spider would be a nice complement!

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    We were given the option to trade the Pista allocation for a Pista Spider this week, and I we declined. They are both gorgeous cars but we genuinely prefer the coupe and plan to drive the wheels off her. So to hell with the “investment” potential. First world problems, for sure. Doing TM on the Pista on Wed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #46 Bundy, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    P

22. bj.rt

bj.rt Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Rob
    what was the difference in the price point?

23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Fixed it for you bro.

BarryK likes this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I’m honestly not sure. Maybe $25-50K higher for the Spider? We love the visible rear engine & structural integrity of the coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    #50 tekaefixe, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    If you track the pista it will still shake a lot and will be slow compared with a 488 GTE.
    The pista is not a race car people, it’s just a more aggressive version of a road car.

Ivinsea likes this.