FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I found what he said quite funny to be honest, and seemed to me he actually came out in defense to Vettel. There's a Dutch media piece that claims Vettel said 'I don't have time for such comments'' but I can't find such an article anywhere so I write it off as Dutch propaganda (they are very keen to hate on Vettel in their little bubble).

The media wants to write a story out of nothing. Look at Sky/Motorsport now...how Vettel is throwing it away by finishing 5th. Last week Elton finished 5th and there was no talk about him throwing the championship away...no, quite the contrary...it was almost a heroic drive apparently.

Lewis saying Vettel's penalty was ******** is now being rewritten ad-infinitum, his fans seem in agreement. Newsflash, Elton: Vettel got hit by Verstappen in China, who got the same penalty...in fact he lost out far less as he didn't need to pit. Vettel, Bottas both needed to pit. Verstappens crash into Vettel was worse as it happened in the later stages also, not in the first corner, where, lets face it, cars get a lot closer than at any other point in the race. Elton just upset that Vettel didn't get a harsher penalty. Sigh.

2. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D:D:D

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But, but, but.....Lewis had (car) issues ;)
    And Lewis drove into Nico several times in turn one in the past but it was never his fault because he had "understeer" ;)

Bas likes this.
  4. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Come on, Lewis was coming down on Mad Max harder than he is on Vettle. Vettle is at least man enough to own up to his mistake and apologize to Bottas without being forced too,

william and 375+ like this.
  5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Also Niki upset, but Charlie Whiting defended the penalty.

Vettel penalty too lenient says Lauda

JUNE 25, 2018

Niki Lauda thinks the FIA let Sebastian Vettel escape with a lenient penalty after a first lap crash at Paul Ricard.

Vettel and Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas collided at the start of Sunday's French grand prix, and the Ferrari driver was given a 5 second penalty.

"Why did Vettel only get five seconds for a huge mistake?" F1 legend and Mercedes team chairman Lauda said.

"Five seconds is nothing. It destroyed Valtteri's race. We could have had first and second places," he added.

However, FIA race director Charlie Whiting defended the penalty.

"The stewards had four options," he revealed. "A 5 second penalty, a 10 second penalty, a drive through and a stop and go.

"5 seconds seems logical given other incidents of this kind in the past. If you take into consideration the consequences of the incident, you could argue that it should have been different, but that's not what the stewards did," added Whiting.

Vettel finished the race fifth, with Finn Bottas in seventh.

Lewis Hamilton therefore re-took the lead in the world championship, and now leads Vettel by 14 points.

Hamilton said: "I think the five second penalty is like a slap on the wrist when you destroy the race of another guy.

"If he ends up finishing in front of that guy, you have to ask whether the penalty was enough," he added.

stavura, william and Bas like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This is about Max and his response to a simple question. He took the time to not answer and vent on the press. Its that simple. He didnt answer a simple question. He shows poor 'headwork' with the press as his own management tell him to adjust his racing to avoid further incidents just recently. The BBC link I posted provides a very clear and concise status of this. Given how Max insults the press literally he only asks for more. Max is not a very bright boy. In fact I consider him to be rather dense and obsessive about the 'press' issue. He can drive but life is more than that.

william and BMWairhead like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The Stewards decided and we must move on. Old news now.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Didn't hear them moan in China, did you? Of course they want a harsher penalty, but they should use their heads. Everyone remembers China and Verstappens penalty, they make themselves look like sore losers (despite winning).

stavura and NEP like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's just having payback in his own way. Like Webber after snatching the win in Silverstone some years ago ''not bad for a #2 driver eh?", directly insulting his bosses.

10. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I think Vettel should have stayed in it a bit longer, perhaps 0.5 seconds, and he would have had second, forcing Bottas to brake and into third. Anyone agree with me?

4th_gear likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He couldn't turn further left with limited grip and a lot of momentum,he could of course have gone full in and also try to take out Lewis ;)

12. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    For the first time in recent memory, my son and I elected to watch the Indy Car race prior to the F-1 race that we had
    both taped prior in the day. The uncertainty of the Indy races versus the certainty found in F-1 these days has swayed
    our interests after 30+ years of being an avid F-1 fan.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    F1 fan goldfish memory in full effect. After Canada 2 weeks ago Ferrari had all the momentum and you had Toto and Lauda acting all scared in the media.

Keep your panties on, we'll be ok again when we get through these tracks that mandate the "Merc Pirellis"

NEP and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yeah I see what you mean. But the risk was then a crash into lewis (although preferable). He was intending not to have a crash at all, lol. **** happens.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Next week should be more level I believe. Silverstone a Merc 1-2 with ease.

After that game on.

NEP and 375+ like this.
  16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    True and you are right, its better not to crash. But if he stayed on it, perhaps the two Mercedes races would have either ended or been damaged ditto his. So perhaps this was the best outcome.

Bas likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It's interesting that Mercedes elected to debut their upgrade spec 2.1 engine at Paul Ricard on top of these Pirelli tyres. Supposedly they were having "issues" with the spec 2.1 engine prior to the Canadian GP where it was suppose to debut. Like they were masking it over given the engine upgrade and tyres at Paul Ricard.

Front row lockout in Spain and a front row lockout at Paul Ricard......bet they get a front row lockout at Silverstone with these "purpose-buit" Mercedes tyres.

Horner is right about these tyres.

TifosiUSA, NEP and 375+ like this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And still Mercedes wants to make us believe that they are the sportsmen per se..without team orders and so on...
    At the same time they tell customer teams to move aside and complain about other peoples penalties as well as making politics behind closed doors like all the others do. Who do they want to fool? They are NOT better in any way, especially not Lauda and Wolff

19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think he was gaining too fast on Lewis so he had to brake...I guess he braked a little bit to much because he feared to rearend Lewis and then the gap for Bottas was there.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    They will get another 1-2 at Silverstone. Book it.

21. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    He probably didn’t expect the gap to be so large. It looked to me more like Bottas cut him off and so damaged his tyre. But obviously not what the stewards saw.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I really enjoyed this race, glad I watched it. Kimi was a blast to watch and I think he should have received driver of the day, not Vettle.

Makuono likes this.
  23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Never forget Lewis Ham-Dashian having been benefited ny manufactured results by being the only car to be craned back onto the track to race after he and many others spun at I think it was Suzuka many years ago so his opinion of justice is very scewed.

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I really don't know what else Vettel was supposed to do . . . . Not race down to the first corner? I'm surprised there was a penalty of any kind.

4th_gear, NEP, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It just looked like Vettel was trying to pressure Bottas a bit and things just went wrong. It’s a bummer and those things happen sometimes.

375+ likes this.