Hunting the 1997 MBZ CLK-GTR... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hunting the 1997 MBZ CLK-GTR...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kevin956, Dec 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #26 kevin956, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Erik for the info and efforts. I did not know about the ex-Diniz car, so that's a new one to me.

In looking through more of my files, I found this 1998 CLK-GTR for sale from the Mercedes museum in November 2015. It is chassis 001. It is no longer listed (alltime-stars.com), but I did save these photos at the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #28 kevin956, Jan 3, 2017
    Back to the topic - found this photo of the car with a May 7, 2016 posting date buried among a Google image search, but no other info. The file name says 1999, but think that's in error. The MC-12 alongside is notable.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not sure if you meant to post more pics of chassis #1 like you did earlier, but that's not a CLK-GTR. That's a 1998 CLK-LM (powered by a V8 and not V12). That one has been in private hands for quite some time and traded hands a few times. Last time I heard about it was in France. It was on display at Retromobile with Classic Sport Leicht. They sold a road car CLK-GTR and I think still have the only road version CLK-LM. That racing version LM may have just been on display with the rest...

Edit: The #35 CLK-LM I'm referring to seems to be different. They're identical aside from the color of the wing mirrors and drivers on the door: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/CLK_LM_-_R%C3%A9tromobile_2014.jpg

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That's when the car was on display recently at the Petersen Museum.

5. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, you're correct. Bad labeling on my part. Still a marvelous car.

6. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks. Didn't know it was on display at the Petersen at all.

7. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice, that's pretty cool to have the original seller in the thread. :) Was it brokered from another private seller or directly from Mercedes?

Erik posted photos in the SoCal section with a rear bonnet hanging off of the wall, which reminded me of the video clip I saw years ago interviewing the owner.

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Mercedes sold the car to Ian Donaldson/Oakfields (a UK dealer). Karl Griesheimer (Griesheimer Autohaus GmbH in Leonberg, Germany), sourced the car for Oakfields.

Oakfields consigned it to the Christie's Pebble Beach sale in the late-1990s).

Yoshio Matsuda bought it at Christie's.

Mr. Matsuda sold it after a couple of years thereafter to Symbolic Motor Car Company.

During my long tenure at Symbolic, I sold it to the current owner.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    The one in Brazil is a true racing CLK-GTR and belonged to the deceased collector Alcides Diniz. He had an impressive collection that included a Jaguar Type D, two racing CLK-DTMs, GT40, racing Lister Storm, among other rarities. He played with them in his own private racing track and in very rare occasions at Interlagos.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you. :) And thanks to everyone else that has added info on #0006 and the other CLK GTR that lived in Brazil for a while. It's nice to get updates on these amazing machines.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #39 F1tommy, Jan 6, 2017
    I found a shot that I took at Laguna Seca going under the bridge in 1997 at the second US FIA race. I also went to the Sebring race the week before. The Porsche 911 GT1 with EVO bodywork I took at Sebring. As I said the 1997 12 cylinder cars sounded a lot better than the 1998 V8 cars.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks much for everybody's contributions - publicly and privately. Appreciate people with knowledge and interest participating. I've learned a few things and been reminded of a few things that I knew but apparently misplaced in my memory banks. As usually is the case, we didn't know we had a golden age at the time...

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    On a somewhat related note, I confirmed with Classic Sport Leicht that they still have the pair of CLK-LMs (one of a kind street version and one of the race version cars). They had the two on display together at Retromobile 2014 and say in the future they plan on having them out on display again. I'd love to see them in person. :)

15. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    #0006 was at the Rodeo Drive Concours this weekend courtesy of the same local owner. He made his name public but we'll just call him RW. He also brought his XJ220S and RUF CTR2 Sport. Great collection and equally great guy who seems to keep a low profile. Apparently Mercedes offered to buy the car back at some point but he refused. Likely worth well into the 8-figures now.

16. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I sold #0006 to him back in September 2001.

Peloton25 likes this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    There's a video on youtube of his cars being loaded onto a truck and the front splitter of the XJ not having a great time to say the least with that first attempt...

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to learn that MB tried to buy the car back...I wonder why. I believe that one of the 1999 CLRs is still in private hands while the other remaining chassis was on display at AMG (the other 2 were written off after flips). Does anyone know if the CLR is still in private hands? I've only seen photos of it at a 2009 Nurburgring track day.

18. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would imagine that AKV still owns that CLR. His cars are just very rarely seen.

>8^)
    ER

19. BGF1LMS

BGF1LMS Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Simi Valley and Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    Brennan
    Gonna Bump this thread, recently visited the storage facility. How do I post pictures?

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Click upload a file button on the bottom right and then insert image into post after it uploads.

21. BGF1LMS

BGF1LMS Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Simi Valley and Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    Brennan
    Can you link this video? Interested in watching it

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    BGF1LMS likes this.