What do you think is required to repair this Scud | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you think is required to repair this Scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by Badabing!, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I looked at this car on Copart too. As has been said I look out of curiosity but doubt I’d purchase one of these cars. A Honda or Chevy maybe but not an exotic. And most have sold for near or at clean car price, especially the 458’s 360’s and f430’s. Makes it a tough proposition if you can buy a clean car for what a salvage one is. There are a couple of California’s up now for crazy low prices and I suspect they have serious damage since they are on a third or forth trip across the block.

There is a guy i this forum that scoops up exotics at reasonable prices. Maybe he could chime in with advice. I seem to recall he bought a 360 and then recently bought an r8 at salvage auction.

2. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I know what you guys mean....These damn hoodlum whipper snappers and their toys :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The more i stay on these forums , the more i see the "high and mighty" , "better than everyone else" attitudes similar to what i would see on other forums :D:D:D

You guys keep it up because it's fun to read and see how the hatred doesn't effect these people in the slightest .

By the way , your new keyboards came in . Should make things a lot easier for you !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #28 vrsurgeon, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Actually no.. that wasn't what I meant at all.

There's 25 year old having fun in their car. And then there's 25 year old being an attention whore. *look at me*. See my prior reference in the video. It's the difference between the doosh video and a Petrolicious video.

Dope? Nope. Where's the "loser" key? :) (not directed you but for the guys in the video)
    If they're driving like an idiot, they're going to have and accident. Drivers side means they hit the RV, "coolant on the road" or not. Means conditions didn't warrant that kind of driving.

I stand by my prior comments.

John_K_348 likes this.
  4. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    If there was coolant spilled and they did not see it , how is that their fault ? I guess all those instances of "black ice" accidents are the fault of the driver because they should have seen something they can't see ??? How about any auto racing scenario where the driver ends up crashing , which obviously happens to the best of the best . Are you saying the drivers should predict something happening before it ever happens ? I guess the conditions of a closed course with professional drivers don't warrant that kind of driving either . It's an accident and it's pretty much happened to every driver with a license . Have you ever been involved in an accident ?

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have actually. I was blasting around a turn at 60 and there was a telephone repair truck in the middle of the road in a complete blind turn. I swerved to avoid it and hit the brakes whereby the tail of the 86' RX-7 fishtailed and I hit the opposite side of the road and rolled the car.

While the telephone truck *should* have put a sign out to warn of work and *should* not have driven off before the cops arrived.. the bottom line is I was driving too fast.
    It was stupid. I should have been driving slower given the conditions. And as the driver of my car I bear responsibility for it.
    As does the Scud driver. As does everyone else on the road. You know this. If you're not familiar with the driving conditions, you drive slower. That there were other people on the road to hit and we didn't see a line of other people being towed away they themselves having slid on the patch says enough. Maturity is accepting responsibility for your actions. Again not what I see in the video. Oh and having driven in *black ice* conditions.. you try not to drive in them but if you do.. you drive slower.

Mickster, John_K_348 and Skidkid like this.
  6. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    The Scud was bid up to $88,000 (plus any auction fees). The seller has 24 hours to accept the price. I never got a chance to inspect the car because once again work got in the way of my hobbies.

Considering market value for a clean no stories car is roughly $170K - $200K there may be an opportunity there for the right person.

I agree with comment that most of these highline salvage cars are bought to be parted out.

Last week I went to look at a 2015 Cayman S with about 20K miles. Had what I would consider moderate front end damage. Appears the driver lost control in the snow and crashed.
    I inspected the car thoroughly. All the car needed was a new front tub welded in and new hood, bumper, fenders, and some other parts.

I am fairly familiar with what needed to be done because I basically had to do the same work when I stuffed my 987.2 Cayman S on the track and had to repair it.

Market Value of a clean similar car is $45K - $50K. Based on my previous experience I figured I could repair the car for $10K-$15K (doing most labor myself and sourcing good used oem parts)

But then I found out the difference between the cars is that the 987.2 is steel frame construction and the 981 is all aluminum. You cannot buy any structural parts (tub, frame rails, etc) for modern generation Porsche cars. They are on a restricted list from Porsche and the dealer can only sell them to an PACC (Porsche Authorized Collison Center) certified in aluminum repair. The control over the parts is to the point the dealer is not even able to receive them, they must be dropped shipped directly to the body shop.

I called a few authorized body shops to see if anyone of them would do just the structural portion of the repair. They all said they can only do the whole job from start to finish including mechanical work and refinishing. No sublets or partial jobs as mandated by Porsche. Estimate to repair was $35K to $40K.

The car sold at the auction for $22K.

It to the point on these newer cars that even relatively small damage will cause the cars to be totaled.

John_K_348 likes this.
  7. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Not on the coparts sight ....what did the car sell for??

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    With no airbag deployment is might be less of a hit than my 348 Spider took. Was it that RV? A 1991 Buick Regal tweaked my unibody. This is the key, crumple zones did their part but if the unibody is tweaked (I had rumples in the floor under the pedals) it should be a total. Yes they will auction high but really never go back on the road. Parts only. This is where the parts come from :). My car saved my life. 19 year old kid texting while driving at 11PM or GPS or some s#@@+. I made 14 grand on the car and reinvested it into my 360 Spider.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    But maybe the RV cut the curve and hit the Scud? I have seen this happen a lot. Some people drive like they have a right to the opposite apex, double yellow line or not. THAT pisses me off. But if you were hot dogging, then accept responsibility. And then sometimes lazy drivers just cut the double line letting their hands follow their line of site. That worries me and I almost got clobbered by a minivan in my Miata that way BEFORE I had the front frame rail replaced. That could have killed me.

10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In this case it really depends on the pickup points for the upper and lower wishbones, though even the cast part they bolt to is available as a spare part, however replacing it is labour intensive.

The rest is cosmetic and relatively simple to replace.

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    There was a truck that blew a hydraulic hose (or whatever happened)spilled a considerable amount of hydraulic oil before and through the hairpin turn.
    The scud hit the hair pin and slide through the turn into on coming RV.
    The broken down truck that spilled the oil was still there and he should be at fault for creating the condition. They should have call the police and a report should have been made. If I was the scud. driver I would have suited the truck spilling the oil. They also made no attempt to warn people that the road was hazardous after the fact.

12. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    it will cost north of 60K to fix it assuming there is no structural damage. Ask me how I know

John_K_348, BAD430BENZ and JoeTSI like this.
  13. Joey iaquinta

Joey iaquinta Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    A brand new maserati leevta

Sent from my 6055A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The car must not have sold as it’s back on Copart, either that or whoever bought it put it right back up for sale.

15. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    shoot...they moved it to newburgh.

16. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Personally, I wouldn't touch this car !!!
    The 430 Scuderia is valuable because it is a great car, limited production and a future classic !!
    That's why it holds value.
    You are better off finding a high mileage accident free F430 !!
    This crashed 430 Scuderia will require lots of $$$ to fix and might never be perfect...
    Furthermore, at resale, forget about it...
    So, unless you get it for something like $60,000 , don't bother...
    Plus you need to have connections in Italy to get cheap parts and your best buddy most be Ferrari mechanic to fix it !!

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Nearly all of these cars that are on Copart are seriously overpriced, and I as well as other speculated it’s the recyclers running the prices up and making them worth more as parts. Ironically there is another scud, a grey one, on Copart as well that has what looks like minor damage to the rear drivers side bumper and the buy it now is only a few thousand more then the red one that is the subject of this thread.

I’m not saying a person couldn’t get a good deal on a salvage Ferrari but it sure seems they are few and far between.

19. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I agree that recyclers drive the prices up !! In the old days without Internet and with cheaper labor, most cars were fixed !!
    Nowadays with all the only used parts merchants, the prices of Ferrari parts make used parts very attractive, so in most cases such cars are broken apart for parts, rather than fixed !!

20. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
  21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Great pics.

22. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    ding ding ding!

I spoke to copart and they said the buyer from a few weeks ago is reselling the car through them. I wonder why?

23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    how much did it go for the 1st time ?

24. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It’s one of 2 things because I’ve seen this several times on Copart. 1 they buy the car cheap ( this being a relative term) and sell it again on Copart for more or 2 they got the car got parts estimates and said nope and try to drop it on someone else.

I was about to pull the trigger on a very nice 2014 maserati Granturismo sport they had a very reasonable buy it now on it but I wanted to get an idea what the parts were going to be before I pulled the trigger. By the time I was ready someone had already bought it and the next day it was back up for sale. Wound up selling for almost 3 times what the original buy it now was. I suspect it was someone just buying and flipping for a profit.

25. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I didnt actually see the auction, maybe someone else did. I rarely am able to watch the auctions live since summer is pretty busy for me.