Ghibli power steering | FerrariChat

Ghibli power steering

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Anyone knows who in the USA can rebuild the power steering box from a 1970 Ghibli ? The power steering on my car is not as smooth as it should be and it is leaking. I swapped the steering pump and it made no difference, therefore must be the PS unit itself.

Ivan

2. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I would try Steve Claassen. He redid the steering box in my Ghibli and it is perfect.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I just checked with Steve and he does not do these boxes. Perhaps he did the pump for you.
    These boxes look similar to those used on some BMW; there has to be someone that rebuilds these.

Ivan

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would search the Maserati section and the Lamborghini section. A few years ago when all of these cars were hot there was a guy advertising a conversion to power steering using original style parts and perhaps he'd be a source.
    I think were were also discussing the Dutch electric power steering in the same thread?

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/25/170/EZ_-_ELECTRIC_POWER_STEERING.html

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    After some searching I found a company that can rebuild the ZF power steering boxes. According to Stuart at MIE the repair kit for these boxes is part # 8052 633 008 01 which is no longer available. All the companies I contacted needed a kit in order to repair the unit, except this one:

MB Automotive
    2266 Losee Rd,
    North Las Vegas, NV 89030
    [email protected]
    (702) 564-1639

Apparently they have the equipment to make new seals and bearings. Once they received the unit the turnaround was 1 week. Cost = $400

Removing the (very heavy) steering box and especially putting it back on is a PITA. Once I removed the box I could feel there was some play between the input shaft and the pit arm, that is now all gone and the car feels nice and tight on the road.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Tech tip.

The power steering box has a drain plug on the side of the unit which faces the front of the car. Once all the fluid has drained and replaced with new Dexron ATF you will need to bleed the system. Raise the front wheels to reduce the load on the system. First time you start the engine most of the oil in the reservoir will be suck therefore be prepared to put in additional oil. Slowly turn the steering wheel from side to side until the oil level stabilizes. Now open the bleed screw (yellow arrow) until fluid comes out. Again turn the steering wheel side to side and recheck the bleed screw.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bay likes this.
  7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Ivan thanks for posting the information on the power steering. Very good information