Woman crashes rental 458 | FerrariChat

Woman crashes rental 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Next she'll complain the rental company never instructed her to put the car in "wet" mode, claiming negligence on their part.

Just a terrible situation based on one small slip, nobody is immune and appreciate the cars safely.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’ve talked to several people in the exotic car rental business, and it’s surprising how many cars they lose to crashes.

It sounds like the bigger companies lose 2-3 cars a year, or about 5-10% of their fleet annually.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Driving a powerful car even on dry pavement is risky if you are used to smashing the pedal to the floor in a 1.5L 4 cylinder econobox and getting from 0-30 in 5s. It takes some time to get used to driving 500+hp cars.

Ash Patel likes this.
  4. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Aside from power, people don't understand that cold tires simply don't have the same level of grip as opposed to being at proper temperature, even under dry conditions. So many lose control very soon after a cold start, cars and coffee meets are a great example when folks lose it in a turn trying to leave while flooring it for all the kids on their video cameras.

SoftwareDrone and Cheri Sentino like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'll take the HVAC panel in case mine gets the stickies.

SoftwareDrone, zakeen and 350MH83 like this.
  6. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    could be an insurance scam for writeoff, it's china afterall

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Worse stuff can happen, I have a buddy with countless exotics: Aventador,Huracan,S550 coupe, Rolls Royce Ghost,Rolls Royce Wraith, G63, Range Rover, Porsche Turbo. His daily is the range rover for work and he had been renting out the rest of the exotics through various brokers for about 6 months and loved the extramoney(which I dont know why he needed bc he already had a ton) anyways someone rented his Huracan and Aventador, took off the trackers and held the cars for ransom of $15k. The cops would not help him bc he willingly gave them the cars so the cars had to be gone for 2 weeks before they could help and the people who rented the car told him he had to pay or the cars were going to be gone for good. He paid ransom and got the cars back lol.

8. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    How would you go about installing a tracker on a 458, any tutorials?

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    They got those trackers that many car dealers use on cars they finance so they can repo them, its not complicated. You can see where it is at all times. I've never done it but its not expensive.

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Go to a well know installer, someone you can trust. Key is putting it where no thief would even know where it is.

Cant tell you of my secrete location but I can tell you i wouldn't have ever thought of that spot.

Here in Aussie $900 for tracker , installed and apps. $275 annual fee

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Wow that's a crazy high price. I would think a multi-satcom tracker module is very cheap and so is a cell phone modem. Not sure why you would need an annual fee either. Sounds like everything is expensive in Australia! We had a service here called Lo-Jack back in the day and I had one installed in a BMW. They put it in the rocker panel. I have to believe you can just buy a cheap phone, wire it using a charger and just hide it under the carpet or under a seat - maybe in the trunk. Use a GPS app and set the ringer off. What do I know.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    not only women… :)

Happened here in Maranello some years ago

ciao

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #14 Napoli, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Cause of wreck: 7 foot human rear diffuser. ;)

Lol at how they looked around and exited the car is if they had stolen it.

QueueCumber likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yes everything is expensive. I can go cheaper with no annual fee but I chose to have the service that another party is being notified of movement and permanently recorded 24/7

Solid State likes this.
  15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    "Piano figa..":D

Albert-LP likes this.
  16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It’s funny I see this post now, I was just informed by my rental company that the 458 I reserved for July 9th is no longer available, a client was using launch control and ran car into something. So I was going to go back to the California and the nice young lady on the other end of the phone informed me that last week someone hit a boulder with it and totaled it. So I upgraded to the 488 spider and hope I don’t have any bad luck or the next few folks that will be driving it have bad luck..........

17. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Hi
    I am planning a couple of weeks of holidays in California at the end of August. Which rental company would you suggest me for a 488 Spider?

Thanks, cheers

18. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    What scares me a little with these companies that you pay for an annual fee is that someone knows where your car is at all times. They can track you when you go for coffee or a dinner or whatever. They know when your car is not home. Then even if you trust the company, can you trust their employees.... and even what if someone hacks such a company also.....

I dont keep trackers in my cars and if I would, I would not use a 3rd party. I would just get a dog tracker and put that in the car. So much cheaper and if you still decide to use a third party, no one is going to hack a dog company to find someones dog :D

19. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    But they'll be amazed at how quickly the dog runs!

wax, piratepress and LVP488 like this.
  20. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Interestingly, she appears to be in Wet during the short clip inside the car.

21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Don’t know about in California, in las Vegas I use royalty exotic cars

22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have bad news for you. This is going to upset your plans for purchasing that Cali. Once you drive the 488 Spider you are going to be scheming how in the world can I own one of these...................................

100badboy100 and MANDALAY like this.
  23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    No, not really since my wife absolutely hated the 488 we looked at in February. Only reason I was renting something more to what I’d probably gravitate twards is I’m taking my daughter on this vacation (who also is my car buddy) since the wife and my son went on a vacation to Washington, D.C. a few months ago. I’m sure I’ll like if though I personally like the exterior design of the 458 better I’m sure I’ll like the 488 as well.

Add to the fact that the wife more or less liked and ok’ed a California purchase after we pay off the truck who would I be to complain that I’m only allowed a California........ which I also like and in reality probably would suit my driving situation better then the other cars save the V12s which are more then likely out of my price cap imposed by the wife.

I’m gonna take this opportunity for what it is, a pure joy ride in fantasy land and create some good memories with my daughter who is my little princess no matter how old she is lol

piratepress, iloveferrari and wrs like this.
  24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Make sure and write us a review after you are done. Doug DeMuro drove a California T HS and then the 488 Spider and I thought he drooled about the Cali T but his reaction to the 488 was well, you can watch it and anticipate how much you are going to enjoy your experience.